Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Call for donations for Port Angeles High-Powered Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Adding myself to the list:

copy and add yourself to the list:
buzzbuzz
100thMonkey*
Tacket*
DouglasR
Odenator
Palpatine*
brianman
almostFitToEat*
hvb
EchoDelta

- - - Updated - - -

@buzzbuzz - thanks for the initiative and leadership on this!
FYI to all: here's what I found to be the power mix for Port Angeles: 92% hydro, 2% coal, 5% nuclear.
I like adding this info when available to PlugShare and we could once it's installed post an outdoor sign on the charger itself itself.

http://www.cityofpa.us/PDFs/Conservation/FuelMixDisclosure.pdf

I wonder if there is a way to get Tesla to partner with regional groups on small-scale (maybe just a single pair) Supercharger locations. Maybe Tesla would do the installation if a local group raised some portion of the funds required. As the population of Tesla owners increases, these slower stations are going to get clogged, but even a 2-plug SC station would keep the cars moving. Does anyone with good connections at Tesla think this would fly? The SC team may not have any available bandwidth, but it may be worth at least asking.

Just want to update everyone:

A this point in the game, it would be substantially easier if you made your donations directly to the city. In fact, in an attempt to make things easier, I'm going to request this (and ill update the main post accordingly). With the way the purchasing is working out, it will be much easier to give to the city for the charger than to send the money to me. If you MUST donate directly to me, PM me and we'll work something out, but I'd much rather you just follow the directions to use your credit card or mail a check to the city.

Along those same lines, there is no minimum donation. Please just donate what you feel comfortable donating. NO DONATION IS TOO SMALL!! :). Thank you, all, in advance for your donations! Please PM me if you have questions!

Thanks buzz^2
Would you mind sharing more precise pointers / instructions on how to do that(eg a website link). I can just imagine myself giving to the wrong sub department of something or other.

Also, do you think even if donations go directly that there may be some transparency about $ required, when the goal has been met, progress on installation, etc? What would be right expectations to have in this regard?

Thanks!

Thanks buzz^2
Would you mind sharing more precise pointers / instructions on how to do that(eg a website link). I can just imagine myself giving to the wrong sub department of something or other.

Also, do you think even if donations go directly that there may be some transparency about $ required, when the goal has been met, progress on installation, etc? What would be right expectations to have in this regard?

Thanks!

EchoDelta -

There are two ways to give to the city and both involve the form that I have attached to the first post of this thread. You can either 1) print off the attached form and fill it out (your name, address, etc at the top, then check the box labeled "other" under the "under $1000" section and write "Electric Car Charger"). Include a check and mail the form and the check to the address on the bottom of the form. Or 2) you can call Kathy Emery at the City of Port Angeles at 360-417-4617. You can give her a credit card number over the phone. The account code for this is 310-7961-379-000 (it's listed on the form attached to this thread, as well). You still need to print out the form and send it in to the city, but you don't have to send a check this way.

As far as transparency for $ required, I am in close contact with the city regarding donations made. As of my last discussion with my contact, there had been 5 donations for a total of $425. This is lower than the number of people who have PM'd me or added themselves to the list here saying they are donating, so I will be getting updates every few days as mailed in donations make it over. Also, I don't know how many people have PM'd me and said they were donating vs how many actually have donated (if you'd like to confirm the city received your donation, give them a call...they have a record of all donations). I will certainly update on progress of installation and the goal being met. We are currently procuring the charger. There is about a 1-2 week lead time from Clipper Creek to get the charger, so we have a couple of weeks yet for donations. Fortunately, there isn't a hard date we need the money by, but the sooner we get it, the better! I have sufficient contingencies should we not receive enough donations for the charger to pay for it...I just don't want to broadcast those at this time as if fear it may sway donations. Suffice it to say the charger WILL be purchased and installed, and the goal is to have it operational this summer. If you have additional questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them :).

Thanks, all, for donating!

Update: one more thing...because this is a government install, there is a bit of a price break (part of the reason donating straight to the city is easier)...the cost for the unit is now $1975.50 and the pedestal is $630...so total needed now is $2605.50. Yay!

Last edited:
EchoDelta -

There are two ways to give to the city and both involve the form that I have attached to the first post of this thread. You can either 1) print off the attached form and fill it out (your name, address, etc at the top, then check the box labeled "other" under the "under $1000" section and write "Electric Car Charger"). Include a check and mail the form and the check to the address on the bottom of the form. Or 2) you can call Kathy Emery at the City of Port Angeles at 360-417-4617. You can give her a credit card number over the phone. The account code for this is 310-7961-379-000 (it's listed on the form attached to this thread, as well). You still need to print out the form and send it in to the city, but you don't have to send a check this way.

As far as transparency for $ required, I am in close contact with the city regarding donations made. As of my last discussion with my contact, there had been 5 donations for a total of $425. This is lower than the number of people who have PM'd me or added themselves to the list here saying they are donating, so I will be getting updates every few days as mailed in donations make it over. Also, I don't know how many people have PM'd me and said they were donating vs how many actually have donated (if you'd like to confirm the city received your donation, give them a call...they have a record of all donations). I will certainly update on progress of installation and the goal being met. We are currently procuring the charger. There is about a 1-2 week lead time from Clipper Creek to get the charger, so we have a couple of weeks yet for donations. Fortunately, there isn't a hard date we need the money by, but the sooner we get it, the better! I have sufficient contingencies should we not receive enough donations for the charger to pay for it...I just don't want to broadcast those at this time as if fear it may sway donations. Suffice it to say the charger WILL be purchased and installed, and the goal is to have it operational this summer. If you have additional questions, feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to answer them :).

Thanks, all, for donating!

Update: one more thing...because this is a government install, there is a bit of a price break (part of the reason donating straight to the city is easier)...the cost for the unit is now $1975.50 and the pedestal is $630...so total needed now is $2605.50. Yay!

Hi buzzbuzz! I am delighted to say that I just got off the phone with the city and completed a donation of $250, which seems about a fair share of the total, at this point.

Kathy was on vacation, but another nice woman took the call and was very efficient, even offering to email me the confirmation info. The whole thing took less than five minutes, so I encourage others to take this route and avoid the mail delay.

My wife and I look forward to taking our Tesla's out on the peninsula via Victoria and the Blackball ferry.

Thanks again for spearheading this!

Hey guys - I'm back in town now, so I'll be calling in tomorrow to make my donation. I'm also donating to the Roadster cable in Centralia which I hear may be diverted to the PA charger since that cable has already been funded?

The roadster adapter has been pledged to Ellensburg's HPC.

The excess funds from Centralia's adapter share project will go to Port Angeles charging station. I've been holding the funds just in case we need a repair or something in Centralia before the Superchargers are on line. We had a scare when a cable came loose but TurboFroggy rescued it. If they need funds right away in PA I can send money right away and gamble on the adapter holding up until then.

The roadster adapter has been pledged to Ellensburg's HPC.

The excess funds from Centralia's adapter share project will go to Port Angeles charging station. I've been holding the funds just in case we need a repair or something in Centralia before the Superchargers are on line. We had a scare when a cable came loose but TurboFroggy rescued it. If they need funds right away in PA I can send money right away and gamble on the adapter holding up until then.

No need "right away"...if you can make that donation in the next couple of weeks, it would be appreciated...or, if it makes more sense, keep something like 50% for Centralia repairs, if needed, and donate the rest to the PA charger. I'll leave those decisions up to you :). Any money from that fund is greatly appreciated.

Hi buzzbuzz! I am delighted to say that I just got off the phone with the city and completed a donation of $250, which seems about a fair share of the total, at this point.

Kathy was on vacation, but another nice woman took the call and was very efficient, even offering to email me the confirmation info. The whole thing took less than five minutes, so I encourage others to take this route and avoid the mail delay.

My wife and I look forward to taking our Tesla's out on the peninsula via Victoria and the Blackball ferry.

Thanks again for spearheading this!

Thanks for your donation! I got confirmation today of a donation matching the value you described, so I'm assuming it was you :). That brings us to 6 donations at $675. Thanks to all who have donated and will donate! And, thank you Vger for relaying how simple the process was!

No need "right away"...if you can make that donation in the next couple of weeks, it would be appreciated...or, if it makes more sense, keep something like 50% for Centralia repairs, if needed, and donate the rest to the PA charger. I'll leave those decisions up to you :). Any money from that fund is greatly appreciated.

Sounds good. BTW, we were in PA last week and YOU were the Buzz! Someone spontaneously brought your charging station efforts up in a casual conversation.
I lit up when I heard that there was such a positive response from the community regarding TMC efforts.

Buzzbuzz can answer better than me, but I'm not sure how soon he'll be on.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT too late. If you want to make sure it gets in on time, the best way is:

Call Kathy Emery at the City of Port Angeles at 360-417-4617. You can give her a credit card number over the phone. The account code for this is 310-7961-379-000 (it's listed on the form attached to this thread, as well). You still need to print out the form and send it in to the city.

Buzzbuzz can answer better than me, but I'm not sure how soon he'll be on.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT too late. If you want to make sure it gets in on time, the best way is:

Call Kathy Emery at the City of Port Angeles at 360-417-4617. You can give her a credit card number over the phone. The account code for this is 310-7961-379-000 (it's listed on the form attached to this thread, as well). You still need to print out the form and send it in to the city.

I left a couple voicemails and I never got my calls returned. I ended up just going ahead and mailing a couple checks. They sent nice Thank You letters, so I know that they got them.