Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Calling P85D owners world-wide for survey and complaint letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The net of the certification conforms well with the advertisement and as I understand the regulation was tested and certified by the EU. This strongly suggests that a legal claim would be a real uphill battle. I also note that EU standard calls for testing the motor entirely independently of the battery and power supply.

The difference between the current ad numbers and your certification presumably reflects "ludicrous" mode.

- - - Updated - - -

If it existed in the past, it would only have been on EU facing sites. That regulation doesn't apply in the US.
I was never aware of this certificate, so I suspect this mainly applies to EU. If Tesla's advertising largely matches the EU conformance certificate (off by only a couple hp on the rear motor), it does mean a legal challenge would be difficult in the EU. I think the core problem then is the lack of a power advertising standard for the entire industry.

Well 3.3s vs 4s is not ok. With 265 and PS2 that is. Need more independent tests to get upset though. The points the Danes site is doing is saying the performance "was there" before and "now its not"... The rollout difference is a second topic.
What did INSANE Feel like | P85D Owners Missing Performance

Please read the latest edition of the Swedish car magazine 'Teknikens Värld' they have a test comparison of the P85d and Porsche Panamera. Although the P85d wins overall, the testers are disappointed that the P85D needs 4s to reach 100 km/h - that is a Swedish test result independent from the danes ...

and please see this test by Auto Express uk: Tesla P85D review | Auto Express

Last edited:
Please read the latest edition of the Swedish car magazine 'Teknikens Värld' they have a test comparison of the P85d and Porsche Panamera. Although the P85d wins overall, the testers are disappointed that the P85D needs 4s to reach 100 km/h - that is a Swedish test result independent from the danes ...

and please see this test by Auto Express uk: Tesla P85D review | Auto Express
It is that the same test as this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x1nOLAdEtk

That test is notably completely off the mark from any other test done on the P85D. The car noticeably hesitates and vibrates off the line (have never seen that happen with the P85D before) and it appears the guy testing had his feet on both pedals (not the right way to launch the P85D).

That test is notably completely off the mark from any other test done on the P85D. The car noticeably hesitates and vibrates off the line (have never seen that happen with the P85D before) and it appears the guy testing had his feet on both pedals (not the right way to launch the P85D).

That may be the case with the Auto Express, don't know. But the Swedish test is a new one, the magazine is the lateste edition

Just out of curiosity, do we actually have any video of the F1 doing it in 3.2?
Not that I know of. We only have Mclarens recent written statement confirming it I believe. We also of course have the Top Gear drag-race vs a Bugatti Veyron where it kicks the Veyron into the ground of the line, but that race has no numbers..

Of course not so many gopros, vboxes etc available in the early 90s I assume;)

That test was completely invalid. They didn't even repeat it. The launch character is exactly what happens in my P85D when sometimes the traction control kicks in. Interestingly this occurs a fair amount of time when I accelerate hard but don't slam the pedal to the floor. If I slam the pedal to the floor, it never happens. I'm sure this is what happened in this launch so I completely discounted it as they didn't make multiple attempts.

I love every bit of the car, including the incredible acceleration. Fully charged (80%+) it performs the best. I am looking forward to the ludicrous speed update and are sending Elon and his team thank you's every day for constantly bringing positive surprises. Guys, send him a thank you letter instead !

Here is a new one from Australian Car Advice doing at best 3.5s 0-100 km/h, they do state weather they use rollout, but it is a pbox, so I think they do: 2016 Tesla Model S P85D Dual-motor Review | CarAdvice

Teknikens värld is not the best Swedish car magazine but still... Would be interesting to see how they did the test... Will check the magazine. AMS is a bit more serious in general. Seldom buy petrolhead mags anymore though. ;-) 4.0s to 100 kph sounds like not in insane mode or in limp mode. When my car is not in insane mode it feels very much like my old P85+ in terms of acceleration. Close to 4s in that car.

I think the biggest issue is that the other Tesla models (85D, 70D) don't have 0-60mph/0-100 kph numbers using rollout. So only the top of the line models looks to be using using roll out times to make the P85D/P90D look like they are faster than they are.

Gtech numbers from a 85D

0-100 30cm rollout 4,051 sec
0-60mph rollout 3,850 sec

0-100 0cm rollout 4,375 sec
0-60mph 4,198 sec

The 85D Tesla does spec to 4.4 sec for 0-100 kph or 4.2 sec to 60mph, So a little bit better. But none is even close on the P85D. Not even the dragtimes.com videos times when not usning rollout.

I love every bit of the car, including the incredible acceleration. Fully charged (80%+) it performs the best. I am looking forward to the ludicrous speed update and are sending Elon and his team thank you's every day for constantly bringing positive surprises. Guys, send him a thank you letter instead !

The Swedish article sums it up very well. The overall winner is the P85D, but hey - it is not perfect. We love the car, but it have its faults and shortcomings. We will be doing Tesla a disfavour not pointing those things out to them as Tesla will continue down this road and it will hit them even harder later on, when it is more cars and regular buyers, not fanboys buying the cars. This may not be a problem with the car as mush as a problem with Tesla sales & marketing and their communication in general, but they need to sort that out to. Sending them a letter boosting their egos even more may not be best help they can get right now.

Teknikens värld is not the best Swedish car magazine but still... Would be interesting to see how they did the test... Will check the magazine. AMS is a bit more serious in general. Seldom buy petrolhead mags anymore though. ;-) 4.0s to 100 kph sounds like not in insane mode or in limp mode. When my car is not in insane mode it feels very much like my old P85+ in terms of acceleration. Close to 4s in that car.

If they did not use Insane mode, I agree they are not the best car magazine in Sweden ;-)

I think the biggest issue is that the other Tesla models (85D, 70D) don't have 0-60mph/0-100 kph numbers using rollout. So only the top of the line models looks to be using using roll out times to make the P85D/P90D look like they are faster than they are.

Gtech numbers from a 85D

0-100 30cm rollout 4,051 sec
0-60mph rollout 3,850 sec

0-100 0cm rollout 4,375 sec
0-60mph 4,198 sec

The 85D Tesla does spec to 4.4 sec for 0-100 kph or 4.2 sec to 60mph, So a little bit better. But none is even close on the P85D. Not even the dragtimes.com videos times when not usning rollout.

+1

AND to all you guys saying that your P85D is quick enough, I found a video showing how you feel (and maybe drive the car) - friendly banter

1:45 into the video

[video]https://youtu.be/DDKuE-3WOJk[/video]

Which would be the standard car world equivalent to this: Dad poops on roller coaster - YouTube

Some people just can't handle it, whereas others want more :)

Last edited:
Something that should be noted, is that for all internal combustion engines, scientific power output testing is done with the engine out of the vehicle, and in isolated dyno cells.

The fuel, intake air, cooling, lubrication, exhaust etc are provided, not by the vehicle, but by carefully calibrated isolated systems.

It is probable that current for testing motor output will be supplied by the grid, through the motor manufacturers in house electrical system. They may not be using a bunch of Tesla batteries for these tests, as there is bound to be some differences between individual battery packs, and state of charge.

Real life is bound to vary slightly from lab testing.

Something that should be noted, is that for all internal combustion engines, scientific power output testing is done with the engine out of the vehicle, and in isolated dyno cells.

The fuel, intake air, cooling, lubrication, exhaust etc are provided, not by the vehicle, but by carefully calibrated isolated systems.

It is probable that current for testing motor output will be supplied by the grid, through the motor manufacturers in house electrical system. They may not be using a bunch of Tesla batteries for these tests, as there is bound to be some differences between individual battery packs, and state of charge.

Real life is bound to vary slightly from lab testing.

Yes and no - P85D 691HP should have an asterisk * next to it.. - Page 116

You can make a 1.3 Suzuki engine produce 600 hp in a test bench, but Suzuki will still not claim 600 hp