Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cameras not working disabling all FSD [SC replacing main computer]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So out of nowhere my 2021 M3P backup camera failed to engage. This locked out all of the cameras and disabled all of the FSD functionality, and I was on a small road trip (it sucked). I heavily rely on FSD in heavy bumper to bumper freeway traffic. I went to the nearest dealer and they unplugged a main power supply and re-booted the computer, and viola, everything was back to normal. Then it happened again 2 weeks later, and I did the same process and viola, it was back to normal. I called Tesla and they said that they wanted to replace my main computer. So as I write this, my car is in the shop getting the computer replaced. I asked Tesla service advisor for more diagnostic evidence of where exactly the failure is, and he said that they don't know (and won't know). The service advisor said that replacing the computer might fix the issue, or might not - "its a first step in diagnostics". So I confirmed that "per Tesla" there is no definite diagnostically positive result that will ascertain a problem that completely disables the cameras and all FSD functionality (including the free 2021 autopilot features for non-FSD cars). Is anyone else having these issues?

Reactions: Chris350
I sit in this boat ever since I got the 10.3 beta.

Sometimes I would have FSD and then sometimes I wouldn't. But I could always tell because when I put the car in reverse, I either get the rear camera (good) or I don't (bad - no FSD).

Mobile service came out and replaced the rear camera to the tune of $160 bucks.... Still have the problem. So, I'm out the money just because Tesla thought that might be the issue.

Now, they want to replace the computer to the tune of $1600... That's the estimate.

In the meantime, before my upcoming appointment, I have replaced the 12v battery and reset the car... All seems fine and working currently, but no idea if it's a permanent fix.

Now, not sure if they are going to charge me for the new computer. But I'm not very happy about being on the hook for replacement parts when service is basically guessing at the fix.

Car is out of warranty.... Car was fine until the 10.3 update. Here's hoping the problem is fixed.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
I sit in this boat ever since I got the 10.3 beta.

Sometimes I would have FSD and then sometimes I wouldn't. But I could always tell because when I put the car in reverse, I either get the rear camera (good) or I don't (bad - no FSD).

Mobile service came out and replaced the rear camera to the tune of $160 bucks.... Still have the problem. So, I'm out the money just because Tesla thought that might be the issue.

Now, they want to replace the computer to the tune of $1600... That's the estimate.

In the meantime, before my upcoming appointment, I have replaced the 12v battery and reset the car... All seems fine and working currently, but no idea if it's a permanent fix.

Now, not sure if they are going to charge me for the new computer. But I'm not very happy about being on the hook for replacement parts when service is basically guessing at the fix.

Car is out of warranty.... Car was fine until the 10.3 update. Here's hoping the problem is fixed.
What year is your vehicle?

So out of nowhere my 2021 M3P backup camera failed to engage. This locked out all of the cameras and disabled all of the FSD functionality, and I was on a small road trip (it sucked). I heavily rely on FSD in heavy bumper to bumper freeway traffic. I went to the nearest dealer and they unplugged a main power supply and re-booted the computer, and viola, everything was back to normal. Then it happened again 2 weeks later, and I did the same process and viola, it was back to normal. I called Tesla and they said that they wanted to replace my main computer. So as I write this, my car is in the shop getting the computer replaced. I asked Tesla service advisor for more diagnostic evidence of where exactly the failure is, and he said that they don't know (and won't know). The service advisor said that replacing the computer might fix the issue, or might not - "its a first step in diagnostics". So I confirmed that "per Tesla" there is no definite diagnostically positive result that will ascertain a problem that completely disables the cameras and all FSD functionality (including the free 2021 autopilot features for non-FSD cars). Is anyone else having these issues?
This happened to me once on my 2021 M-Y-LR. I left the car in Park overnight and problem self resolved.

This happened to me once to my 2021 M-Y-LR. When this started, all cameras stopped working, plus navigation shows the car's at the location when the system got stuck. I left the car in Park overnight and problem self resolved. That was the only occurrence in the past 5 months since I took delivery.