Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t find glovebox USB??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Original center console in the 2020 Model Y has (1) USB-C power-only port for powering the wireless phone charging pad and (1) USB-A data port for Sentry mode / Dashcam video. Also (2) rear USB-C power-only ports. There are no USB ports inside the glove box of the original 2020 Model Y. There are some transitional 2020 Model Y vehicles that have the original console and the USB data port inside the glovebox.

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloJP and GtiMart
So I know this is an old posting, just bought a tesla model y 2020 used. I do NOT have a usb port in the glove box. My tesla was an early production unit. Later in 2020 they did include a usb in the glove box.

For those who have the early 2020 MY first production (like me) you need to being the car to tesla to have then rework the center console ports to enable the hard drive for security.

Center console explained:

The first port (left) is usb-c and this is used for charing pad, phone charger, or hard drive for the audio system. IT IS NOT CONNECTED to the security portion of the vehicle. So it will never work for sentury mode.

The second port (right) usb-a is used for charging, audio, and security. HOWEVER....Once tesla started adding usb in the glove box for later 2020 MY productions they updated the firmware which by default blocks early production MY usb-a ports from using it as a security port. Some people are able to hard reset the car and have this port recognized, bit others like myself need to have the car brought into tesla and have them do a internal fix to fix this port.

So I know this is an old posting, just bought a tesla model y 2020 used. I do NOT have a usb port in the glove box. My tesla was an early production unit. Later in 2020 they did include a usb in the glove box.

For those who have the early 2020 MY first production (like me) you need to being the car to tesla to have then rework the center console ports to enable the hard drive for security.

Center console explained:

The first port (left) is usb-c and this is used for charing pad, phone charger, or hard drive for the audio system. IT IS NOT CONNECTED to the security portion of the vehicle. So it will never work for sentury mode.

The second port (right) usb-a is used for charging, audio, and security. HOWEVER....Once tesla started adding usb in the glove box for later 2020 MY productions they updated the firmware which by default blocks early production MY usb-a ports from using it as a security port. Some people are able to hard reset the car and have this port recognized, bit others like myself need to have the car brought into tesla and have them do a internal fix to fix this port.
For the record I have an early VIN (10xxx) 2020 LRMY. The two front USB ports are located beneath the wireless charging pad (the wireless charging pad flips up and can be removed if desired.) The USB-C port powers the wireless charging pad. I have a passive USB hub connected to the USB-A (the data port.) I have a Sandisk Multimate 3.0 reader with Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB micro SD card (for Dashcam and Sentry recordings) and USB thumb drive with some music also connected to the passive USB hub. I have not experienced any issue with using the USB-A data port for Dashcam/Sentry mode since June 2020 when my Model Y was delivered.