Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can’t update on wifi

Allistah

Jul 6, 2019
Central Valley, CA
We got an update but it’s stuck and won’t download. Keeps saying to connect to WiFi. Here is what I’ve tried:

Soft reboot (two button reset)
Hard reboot (two button with brake held reset)
Full power off w/3 minute wait
Called Tesla and they couldn’t unstick it.

They said they had to send it over to “engineering”.

It just says to connect to WiFi to download the update. It’s connected - the WiFi is only 10 feet away and is lightning fast. Starting to wonder if I should do a full reset by disconnecting the 12v battery, and then the HV battery pack to see if that helps it fully restart. Anyone have any other ideas?

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
You might try making it connect to an entirely new WiFi. Might help, might not, but probably worth an attempt.

Set up your phone as a WiFi hot spot. Have your car completely forget the WiFi network it's currently connected to, then do a complete restart of the car by using the "Power Off" menu command on the MCU. Once the car has restarted, have it connect to your phone's WiFi. Give it a few hours, and see what happens.

Allistah

Jul 6, 2019
Central Valley, CA
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give they a shot. If that doesn’t work, I may try the complete power disconnection method a try. Will post back when I get some movement on this one way or another.

Reactions: Phlier

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll give they a shot. If that doesn’t work, I may try the complete power disconnection method a try. Will post back when I get some movement on this one way or another.

Why not wait for "engineering" to unstick it, rather than completely disconnecting the power? What about the update do you "have to have" before someone in engineering gets a chance to remotely diagnose it?

Msjulie

Jun 26, 2016
Monterey Peninsula
Use 2.4ghz antenna option on your access point vs 5gh; my car said it was connected but it could not download on the faster connection (my router supports both, I think most do these days?)

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
Make sure that you have “Keep Climate On” turned “OFF”. Software updates are not permitted when “Keep Climate On” is active.

Give that a try.

Fred

Allistah

Jul 6, 2019
Central Valley, CA
The car was in a really botched state. The version that it thought it had, it really didn't. The last update was in a bad state so they had to re-push the current version that the car thought it had over LTE. Then once it updated to the same version it already had, the next update came easily over wifi and it updated without any problems. I think it was just a one-off type of problem as I have been updating very frequently since we got it. <shrug>

• Informative
Reactions: Wennfred

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC