Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can 5G be added to Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(moderator note)

I have removed a couple of snippy comments from posts (instead of the entire post, like we normally do). I will not be editing any more posts, simply removing entire posts that contain snippy content, or taking other action to enforce some politeness / no personal attacks.

Last edited:
I tried to walk away, but just can’t leave it with a snide comment like “That’s what I thought.”

Same access point, same location, just changing frequencies:

2.4GHz:
View attachment 773455
View attachment 773459
5GHz:
View attachment 773456
View attachment 773460

With that, once and for all, have a fantastic day.

That's called anecdotal evidence. There's no reason for the retransmits unless the router is in a bad location for 2.5 GHz. Even a 40% retransmit rate would not bring a 300 Mbps channel down to 36 Mbps. I assume you are familiar with nodes in EM waves? Move your router a few inches and see if that doesn't change significantly. I would also ask how your router is configured. Is it using a protocol that allows the full 300 Mbps or one of the slower protocols?

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
That's called anecdotal evidence. There's no reason for the retransmits unless the router is in a bad location for 2.5 GHz. Even a 40% retransmit rate would not bring a 300 Mbps channel down to 36 Mbps. I assume you are familiar with nodes in EM waves? Move your router a few inches and see if that doesn't change significantly. I would also ask how your router is configured. Is it using a protocol that allows the full 300 Mbps or one of the slower protocols?

@dmurphy Already stated that he works with wireless as a career, and has done so for a long time (decades). I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not "anecdotal evidence" and that the (perfectly valid in other circumstances) advice to "move your router around a bit and see if it fixes your home wireless" would be something that a person who works with wireless for a living would have already tried.

Thats like telling someone who is a network engineer for a living who is showing information about networking "did you try unplugging and re plugging your cable, or releasing and renewing your IP?" Perfectly valid advice, but if someone does that specific thing for a living, I think we shouldnt try to invalidate their responses with basic troubleshooting.

@dmurphy Already stated that he works with wireless as a career, and has done so for a long time (decades). I am going to go out on a limb and say that is not "anecdotal evidence" and that the (perfectly valid in other circumstances) advice to "move your router around a bit and see if it fixes your home wireless" would be something that a person who works with wireless for a living would have already tried.

Thats like telling someone who is a network engineer for a living who is showing information about networking "did you try unplugging and re plugging your cable, or releasing and renewing your IP?" Perfectly valid advice, but if someone does that specific thing for a living, I think we shouldnt try to invalidate their responses with basic troubleshooting.

I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but when they provide clearly limited evidence, I tend to call them on it. What is the protocol the 2.5GHz measurement is using? That says it all. There are several protocols on 2.5GHz and only one runs at 300 Mbps. If I should accept professional advice, why would the professional provide inadequate evidence of his opinion? Until evidence is provided, it's still just an opinion.

• Disagree
I'm willing to give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but when they provide clearly limited evidence, I tend to call them on it. What is the protocol the 2.5GHz measurement is using? That says it all. There are several protocols on 2.5GHz and only one runs at 300 Mbps. If I should accept professional advice, why would the professional provide inadequate evidence of his opinion? Until evidence is provided, it's still just an opinion.
Umm, a moderator told you to chill........ You're literally killing this thread and at this point it seems like a personal attack.

Umm, a moderator told you to chill........ You're literally killing this thread and at this point it seems like a personal attack.

??? Nothing I posted was personal. I am talking about the facts presented. Someone mentioned that I should accept insubstantial evidence because it was presented by an "expert".

The only problem with this thread is people not being responsive to factual content. Your post in particular has nothing to do with the topic. My last post asked about the protocol used in the 2.5GHz measurement. Until we know that, the measurement is of no value, regardless of the "professional" status of the presenter.

Last edited:
Most 2.4 ghz access points are configured by default in a “compatibility” mode that falls back to the slowest standard necessary to provide access to the devices connected to it. Most of us still have devices hanging around that might only be able to talk 802.11g, which has a theoretical max of 54mbps. I’d bet my hat that’s what’s going on with @dmurphy ’s 2.4Ghz network test above.

A 2.4ghz network locked to 802.11ac can easily provide client connections in the ~hundreds of megabits. But again, most/all routers aren’t configured this way out of the box, and if you have a single older device or weak signal device on your network the entire band will fall back to that older standard for EVERY client.

This is the primary benefit of dual-band routers - fast 5ghz connections for devices that can support it and a legacy 2.4ghz network that means all your older stuff “just works”.

Not that this has anything to do with 5G cellular in a Tesla, but hey internet, you do your thing.

Since credentials apparently matter in this thread, I’m responsible for a ~2500 node wifi network at a university.

Last edited:
??? Nothing I posted was personal. I am talking about the facts presented. Someone mentioned that I should accept insubstantial evidence because it was presented by an "expert".

The only problem with this thread is people not being responsive to factual content. Your post in particular has nothing to do with the topic. My last post asked about the protocol used in the 2.5GHz measurement. Until we know that, the measurement is of no value, regardless of the "professional" status of the presenter.
I thought this thread was about 5G cellular connections........ So, your post had nothing to do with the topic either.. Thats how threads die. Nobody is going to bother reading all this infighting to find out anything about 5G cellular connections in Teslas.

Reactions: thefrog1394
Surprised they havent enabled it if the hardware is there already for newer builds. 5G being enabled helps in citys for the most part because supporting more density and network through-put

What does Tesla have to do with that or vice versa? The 4G in my car seems to be rather limited. When I change the map zoom, it can take quite some time to refresh the display. Often, it never catches up before the car automatically returns to the default zoom. That's always a big help when I'm trying to drive. I shouldn't be looking at the map anyway, right?

What does Tesla have to do with that or vice versa? The 4G in my car seems to be rather limited. When I change the map zoom, it can take quite some time to refresh the display. Often, it never catches up before the car automatically returns to the default zoom. That's always a big help when I'm trying to drive. I shouldn't be looking at the map anyway, right?
This happens to me at rush hour if I have nav turned on with traffic overlay turned on too. For me it is a function of the mcu to process all that information vs a bandwidth issue. I can be in the same location at different time of day and map refresh is fast. (I am aware that the LTE network could coincidentally be flooded at rush hour and be affecting map updates, but my mcu 1 with lte was even worse)

This happens to me at rush hour if I have nav turned on with traffic overlay turned on too. For me it is a function of the mcu to process all that information vs a bandwidth issue. I can be in the same location at different time of day and map refresh is fast. (I am aware that the LTE network could coincidentally be flooded at rush hour and be affecting map updates, but my mcu 1 with lte was even worse)

This has happened to me at 10pm. It's not about traffic on the cell network. It was also in a major metropolitan area between Baltimore and DC, so it's not a cell connection issue. Maybe the cell providers are limiting 4G to encourage people to switch to 5G.

This has happened to me at 10pm. It's not about traffic on the cell network. It was also in a major metropolitan area between Baltimore and DC, so it's not a cell connection issue. Maybe the cell providers are limiting 4G to encourage people to switch to 5G.
Are $10/mo Premium Connectivity subscriptions from Teslas rate-throttled by AT&T in the US during periods of high use? Or at all, compared to a typical handset?

Are $10/mo Premium Connectivity subscriptions from Teslas rate-throttled by AT&T in the US during periods of high use? Or at all, compared to a typical handset?

What do you mean, "compared to a typical handset"? 4G or 5G? My point is that the cell providers may be artificially limiting 4G throughput to encourage people to switch to 5G, regardless of what device is being used. It doesn't need to be at high use times either. As I've said, I see this at any hour of the day or night.

What do you mean, "compared to a typical handset"? 4G or 5G? My point is that the cell providers may be artificially limiting 4G throughput to encourage people to switch to 5G, regardless of what device is being used. It doesn't need to be at high use times either. As I've said, I see this at any hour of the day or night.
I meant maybe compared to the experience on a typical iPhone or Android phone. 5G here locally for me can be spotty on VZW, so I stay mostly on 4G LTE unless traveling. Google Maps loads quick on my phone of course, but my MYLR mcu doesn’t seem as fast (different carrier, I know).

I’ll try on my iPhone hotspot to compare, though I know not all map features work if on wifi.