Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can any website provide turn-by-turn directions for non-tech Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have the tech package, I don't have a smartphone, and my Ipad 2 only has wifi :crying:

Although I can get the web based version of Waze through the car's browser, it doesn't work in the web based version. Although Waze works as an app on my Ipad2, the Ipad2 doesn't have a sim card.

The Tesdla's map function can show my current location and my destination, but the non-tech package doesn't plan routes or give turn-by-turn navigation.

So, is there any website that can give turn-by-turn directions that I can use through the Tesla's browser? The answer is probably no, but I thought I'd ask.

P.S. What I do have is a TomTom GPS (which works great). It gives turn-by-turn directions etc. I've attached a photo of my TomTom mounted.

P1020607.JPG

As you surmised, the answer is no at this time. The Tesla Web Browser doesn't provide the current location information to the web site so it cannot know where you are at any give time in order to show your location on a map.

This could change with a future update, as obviously the car knows it's GPS location, and the browser could send it along when asked. It just doesn't do that with the current software.

It seem a little ironic to me that you have a bleeding edge car but no smart phone. I'd recommend getting one for good navigation.

Frankly, google's maps/nav is better than the Tesla nav since it integrates with other google apps (calendar, email and so on). I think the nav in the Tesla is good but I really miss the integration. I'm able to put an address in a calendar entry and from there, I'm into nav with a couple of taps. Email that has an address can jump into nav and so on. Maybe my complaint is about the lack of integration of my car into my electronic presence.

By the way, are you aware that, eventually, you will have to get an AT&T data plan for your car?

I'm sorry, but that tacked on screen next to Tesla's big, beautiful center screen is just wrong.

I look at it as it's little brother. I simply have more screen than you :cool:. I think you're just jealous.

By the way, are you aware that, eventually, you will have to get an AT&T data plan for your car?

When I lose the At&T data plan, I'll lose the browser and Slacker but I'm hoping I won't lose the map, which I assume uses a GPS and maps built into the firmware. Not sure how that works but I don't think the maps use 3G.

So no, I won't have to get a data plan. I'll still get firmware updates. And Tesla will still be monitoring my car through the 3G connection even when I'm not paying for it.

My Ipad2 does have an AT&T sim card slot if I want to populate it. I assume I could then use it like a smartphone and tether it to the car. I believe Elon said that feature is coming soon (in his speech at TESLIVE yesterday). Just not sure it's worth it to me.

Believe it or not, you don't need to pay for connectivity to enjoy the benefits of an electric car. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but my little TomTom works just fine, and so does the FM radio.

I look at it as it's little brother. I simply have more screen than you :cool:. I think you're just jealous.

When I lose the At&T data plan, I'll lose the browser and Slacker but I'm hoping I won't lose the map, which I assume uses a GPS and maps built into the firmware. Not sure how that works but I don't think the maps use 3G.

So no, I won't have to get a data plan. I'll still get firmware updates. And Tesla will still be monitoring my car through the 3G connection even when I'm not paying for it.

My Ipad2 does have an AT&T sim card slot if I want to populate it. I assume I could then use it like a smartphone and tether it to the car. I believe Elon said that feature is coming soon (in his speech at TESLIVE yesterday). Just not sure it's worth it to me.

Believe it or not, you don't need to pay for connectivity to enjoy the benefits of an electric car. Maybe I'm a dinosaur but my little TomTom works just fine, and so does the FM radio.
This made me sad. Please don't take offense.

IWhen I lose the At&T data plan, I'll lose the browser and Slacker but I'm hoping I won't lose the map, which I assume uses a GPS and maps built into the firmware. Not sure how that works but I don't think the maps use 3G.
AFAIK, the maps uses Google maps and will not work without a 3G connection (outside of some limited caching that it does).

Maybe when Tesla allows apps there can be a offline map app made for the Model S, but that's probably some ways off.

The map does not work without 3G service. I frequently drive in an area with no AT&T service at all, and the map goes away. However, I have the tech package and the nav display and map on the left side of the instrument cluster continues to work fine.

The map does not work without 3G service. I frequently drive in an area with no AT&T service at all, and the map goes away. However, I have the tech package and the nav display and map on the left side of the instrument cluster continues to work fine.

Thanks. I wonder how much longer we'll be getting free 3G? Since I'm pretty sure I'll still be receiving firmware updates using 3G, they'd have to disable the browser, map, Slacker etc functions w/o totally eliminating 3G from my car..

I guess I'll just have to use "Susan" (my TomTom's female voice) for directions.

Or get a sim card for my Ipad2 and tether it to the Tesla.
If I do that, I assume I use the Ipad2 as a "hotspot" to get 3G, but I still won't get a turn-by-turn map showing directions on the 17" screen, just maybe an app voice through bluetooth. I might as well just use "Susan" and forget 3G.

Since I don't have a smartphone, I'll just lose the browser, maps and Slacker. Guess it's FM radio for me. Or a USB stick with songs I like. Or bluetooth to the Ipad2 with music on it.
Humm; I guess I do have a decent amount of music choices after all.

I doubt if the app works without 3g service either. Personally, I think the car is a bit crippled without it. I can't imagine they will charge all that much, and it will be worth it.

A lot of people are going to be pissed if and when Tesla starts making everyone pay for 3G.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but when we picked up our Tesla, not a word was said about having to pay for data later, and having tons of functionality (Slacker, Web, Maps, the Android app, etc.) disappearing overnight. Having this come up later is going to be a major sting for a lot of people. If they know what's good for them, they'll hold off a couple years before starting to make people pay.

And when we do have to pay - please make a 4G LTE upgrade (either hardware, or software if necessary) part of the subscription...Elon's tweeted that it's possible.

And please, for the love of God, switch to vector-based maps...this antiquated tile-based system makes the Tegra 2 + 3G combination lag like crazy.

#endrant ;-)