Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone explain why Tesla is not allowing bi-directional charging from all its cars, except CT???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because the cars aren't physically capable of it. Well, they aren't capable of outputting AC power like the Cybertruck can. That came as a feature in the new PCS, Power Conversion System, 2.0 module in the Cybertruck.

Maybe once the CCS standard is updated to include support for bidirectional power Tesla will support outputting DC power as well. (I would think that all Tesla vehicles could output DC power with just a software update, but Tesla has chosen AC for their bidirectional, i.e. PowerShare, feature.)

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Upvote 0
I think also this would cause increased battery degradation through repeated discharge-recharge cycles. The 8 year warranty may end up costing Tesla money in increased repair and replacement.
Yep, I think that they would have to make the owner agree to a change in the warranty terms, maybe something like counting each kWh of energy extracted via V2x as ~3 miles against the battery warranty.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can anyone explain why Tesla is not allowing bi-directional charging from all its cars, except CT??? Technical or otherwise...
It is a marketing decision. It's cheaper without it and when Tesla was designing S, X, 3,Y, there was no bi-directional charging competition.

When Cybertruck was being designed, competitors started talking about it so Tesla decided to jump on the band wagon.

It's possible to add it to other models in the future but if Tesla still can sell without it then there's no incentives.

Upvote 0
Yep, I think that they would have to make the owner agree to a change in the warranty terms, maybe something like counting each kWh of energy extracted via V2x as ~3 miles against the battery warranty.
I’d expect a change similar to the way powerwalls are warranted, where there is both a time component and a cycle count component, whichever is reached first.

I also expect that such a feature isn’t a priority and won’t be until some V2X standards emerge. Integrating these things into your house is not cheap.

Finally, any such implementation would also need some software to enable or disable it - I’m certain Tesla would be very motivated to ensure that there is zero overlap between the PowerShare feature and cars with free unlimited supercharging. That should be easy enough to accomplish.

Maybe once the CCS standard is updated to include support for bidirectional power Tesla will support outputting DC power as well. (I would think that all Tesla vehicles could output DC power with just a software update, but Tesla has chosen AC for their bidirectional, i.e. PowerShare, feature.)

This is an interesting idea - DC out straight from the car to oh, I dunno, a solar inverter built in to a Powerwall 3?

This seems like the ultimate solution - all the benefit of stationary storage (works no matter where your car is, seamless and instantaneous), with a giant extra battery for extended outages. Many more people could get by on a single powerwall with a setup like that.

Upvote 0
This is an interesting idea - DC out straight from the car to oh, I dunno, a solar inverter built in to a Powerwall 3?
Both Ford and GM are currently shipping DC based solutions. Of course, they require you to install their "gateway", "inverter", and "dark start battery" boxes. So, it costs ~$7,500 just for the equipment for your home. (Plus installation.)

Tesla's AC solution only costs $2,500 for home equipment. And given there are fewer devices, installation is simpler so should cost less. And might get way cheaper as utilities accept the meter base gateway instead of the separate box, as it would require almost no labor to install.

Reactions: bhzmark
Upvote 0
If they plan to have Vehicle-to-Vehicle charging, hopefully it'll be DC-to-DC. And not DC->AC->DC (efficiency & heat losses).
I haven't seen any mention of Tesla supporting direct vehicle to vehicle charging. I don't see anyone adding a ~10kW DC-to-DC converter to their car just for V2V, and I think it would be too big/expensive to sell as an adapter to plug into your vehicle.

The only manufacturer I know of that is doing V2V right now is Lucid, and they are doing via an adapter that that plugs in to their mobile charging cable. (Turning a Lucid into a 9.6kW J1772 station on wheels.)

Tesla could do the same kind of thing, for vehicles that support Powershare, with their UMC but of course that isn't necessary in the Cybertruck since you can just plug the UMC into the 14-50 outlet in the vault.

Upvote 0
Cybertruck does vehicle to vehicle charging.
Not really. It just has a 14-50 outlet in the vault that you can plug a EVSE into. That can be any EVSE, but the Cybertruck doesn't come with one. Well, the Foundation Series ones do, but that will only work to charge a NACS compatible, i.e. Tesla, vehicle. If you want to charge any other EV you would need a J1772 EVSE with a 5-15 or 14-50 plug on it.

Upvote 0
Not really. It just has a 14-50 outlet in the vault that you can plug a EVSE into. That can be any EVSE, but the Cybertruck doesn't come with one. Well, the Foundation Series ones do, but that will only work to charge a NACS compatible, i.e. Tesla, vehicle. If you want to charge any other EV you would need a J1772 EVSE with a 5-15 or 14-50 plug on it.
Powershare instructions indicate you must buy stuff to use it.

Upvote 0
The other reason Tesla has avoided bi-directional is the history of free Supercharging. The real concern is people going to Superchargers - charging the car and then discharging to power their houses. Now that Supercharging is no longer free, that is not a concern anymore, so hopefully Tesla will see the value.

Then again, offering bi-directional operation likely costs an extra $200 or so. If only 10% of buyers would want/use the feature, it means everyone else is paying more for an unused feature. Tesla could make it optional, but that usually increases the cost of the option (less volume). Anyway, it makes sense for an $80-150K vehicle. It may not make sense as you get down to a $30-40K vehicle.

• Informative
Reactions: Midpack and tzgator
Upvote 0
Thank you all for your valuable information!

This main reason I posted this thread was not just about Tesla vehicles, but also about Tesla Energy business!

If Tesla wants to accelerate earth's the transition to Solar energy, by far the most efficient way seems to be via RoofTop solar generation!

Each and every stand alone single family home has enough roof surface to generate ALL their electricity needs including, transportation, heating/cooling and even cooking vis induction stoves. Note no extra battery backups will not be needed! In other words, total self sufficiency as far as energy needs are concerned! Perhaps a micro grid to balance the electrical load within a neighborhood.

How do we finance this you ask? There are about 100 million homes in this country. The average home price in the United States was $495,100 in the second quarter of 2023, according to the Census Bureau and Department of Housing and Urban Development. A HELOC can unlock your home's equity to fund home renovations. One can tailor the monthly payments to match their current monthly electricity bill, and go RTS without spending a extra cent more than they are already paying. After about 10 years, they will be getting free electricity.

What about multi family units, high rise buildings and commercial market you ask?
1. Why not convert ALL parking lots to have Solar canopy? This will not only generate electricity but also provide shade for vehicles, especially in the summer. Anyone from South West???
2. Note just a single parking space (10'x20') can generate enough energy for an average home. Also note there are 8 times as many parking lots as there are cars! That is approximately 1.6 Billion parking lots.
3. All the cities could use the state owned median space of high ways could be used to install solar canopies to meet their electricity needs.

What are the advantages you ask?
1. No more fossil fuel juggernaut and complete and total independence from corporations and countries that own fossil fuel business.
2. No immediate need to create new power generation companies, like the so called advanced nuclear generator proposed by Bill Gates!
3. Diverting all the efforts to manufacturing and deploying of Tesla Mega packs, there will be no need for piker power plants.
4. No need for new or upgrading of Transmission grids, saving US Trillions of dollars.

I believe in Elon's vision "free energy is shining over your head - capture it- use it"

why not, ha ha ha???

• Disagree
Reactions: Midpack
Upvote 0
Each and every stand alone single family home has enough roof surface to generate ALL their electricity needs including, transportation, heating/cooling and even cooking vis induction stoves.
No, they don’t.

Note no extra battery backups will not be needed!
But they ARE needed. Cars are not always at home.

2. Note just a single parking space (10'x20') can generate enough energy for an average home.
No, it cant.

Reactions: Midpack
Upvote 0