Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can anyone help with used purchase questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning.

I am purchasing a used model 3 from Carvana this week and have been going crazy trying to confirm the features of my new to me 2019 model 3 dual motor long range. Carvana has no idea what they are selling and seem not to be able to answer any questions about auto pilot.

(I know this may not be the best way to purchase a used Tesla, but they offered me almost 4k more for my trade in than my local dealership and 3k more than Tesla).

I think the car has the full self driving but have been unable to confirm. Information online and with forum searches have confused me more. The car's VIN isn't in the EV-CPO database. I called 2 tesla stores but they wouldn't look the VIN up for me, both said it was a privacy issue.

Included is a screen shot from Carvana that shows the autopilot screen but I can't tell if this is enhanced autopilot or FSD.

Anyone that could compare this to their FSD screen would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance for any replies.

Attachments

• Image 8-22-20 at 6.18 AM.JPG
    Image 8-22-20 at 6.18 AM.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 777
I believe that “traffic lights and stop sign control” is a FSD feature that is not part of enhanced autopilot. The fact that the car has the setting suggests that it has FSD but perhaps someone with enhanced autopilot can confirm?

Reactions: camalaio
Is full self driving not linked to your account? and not the car?
FSD is linked to the car and should transfer in a private sale. Tesla removed FSD from cars in the past if it found that FSD was enabled by mistake. There was a big software audit earlier this year that took away FSD from a bunch of people who had had it enabled at delivery.

You seem to have “summon” option on the screen there
I do not have FSD so I don’t have the summon option on the screen in my car
Also FSD includes automatic park so see if you can find any “button” for that function
(Although I’ve never been in or seen a EAP car)
Hope that helps a little ?

I won't know for at least a month. The car is being delivered on Thursday but I won't have the title for about 1 month due to the NY DMV and their slowness due to Covid.

(Tesla said they won't allow me to add the car to an account without uploading a picture of the actual title.)
Here in California, I had to wait almost 3 months to get my title. I purchased a used stealth performance back in May and just received the title and registration stickers 2 days ago. I've been driving around with an expired registration for 3 weeks and there was nothing I could do about it due to them being slow

Hey @KeyMaster - so how did it go? Did you get FSD carried over to your car from Carvana? I am in the same boat here and I specifically chose a used M3 LR from Carvana for it's price point and appearing to have FSD (It has 'Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control' listed in the autopilot menu). Let me know how that all went. I get mine on Saturday o_O

Hey @KeyMaster - so how did it go? Did you get FSD carried over to your car from Carvana? I am in the same boat here and I specifically chose a used M3 LR from Carvana for it's price point and appearing to have FSD (It has 'Traffic Light and Stop Sign Control' listed in the autopilot menu). Let me know how that all went. I get mine on Saturday o_O

Everything that is bought for the car follows the car UNLESS it goes back to Tesla at some point. If the car gets sold back to Tesla, they will remove all the software extras. If it was sold to a private party or third party dealer, all the stuff bought for the car stays on the car.

Everything that is bought for the car follows the car UNLESS it goes back to Tesla at some point. If the car gets sold back to Tesla, they will remove all the software extras. If it was sold to a private party or third party dealer, all the stuff bought for the car stays on the car.

So you're saying if the car previously had free lifetime premium connectivity, that would transfer as well? I've heard this is true for private sales but I've heard if it goes through a 3rd party dealership like Carvana, it does NOT apply. If what you're saying is true, though, then that is good news. Thanks!

So you're saying if the car previously had free lifetime premium connectivity, that would transfer as well? I've heard this is true for private sales but I've heard if it goes through a 3rd party dealership like Carvana, it does NOT apply. If what you're saying is true, though, then that is good news. Thanks!
Bought my 2018 LR AWD from Carvana a couple of weeks ago and the car has both EAP and unlimited premium connectivity, which seem to have stuck with the car. I really wanted EAP and was thrilled that stuck with the car. The unlimited premium connectivity was a nice bonus.

iI should NOT matter if it goes through a 3rd party dealership. The only thing that should matter is if it was ever purchased/sold by Tesla (lease return, trade in, etc). If Tesla has possession of the car they can do whatever they want. So, what counts is where the 3rd party dealer purchased the car. If it was an auction and offered by Tesla, all bets are off.

iI should NOT matter if it goes through a 3rd party dealership. The only thing that should matter is if it was ever purchased/sold by Tesla (lease return, trade in, etc). If Tesla has possession of the car they can do whatever they want. So, what counts is where the 3rd party dealer purchased the car. If it was an auction and offered by Tesla, all bets are off.

Thanks for the clarification, that's good to know. I talked with a rep from Vroom and I asked why can't I see what type of Autopilot each Tesla on their site has and he told me Tesla disables certain features like EAP or FSD when it comes into their possession so none of them come with it... and that's when I stopped looking on Vroom. At least Carvana posts a screenshot of the Autopilot screen on most of their listings.

Thanks for the clarification, that's good to know. I talked with a rep from Vroom and I asked why can't I see what type of Autopilot each Tesla on their site has and he told me Tesla disables certain features like EAP or FSD when it comes into their possession so none of them come with it... and that's when I stopped looking on Vroom. At least Carvana posts a screenshot of the Autopilot screen on most of their listings.

Sounds like Vroom purchases used Teslas through auction while Carvana may primarily purchase private party.

I sold my car to Carvana, and from what the Carvana sales person told me, my car was headed to the detailer and straight to it’s new owner.

An old thread where a used MS purchaser lost FSD was revived yesterday by a purchase of a MX from Vroom. MX was sold with FSD, and was taken away by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
Like everyone is saying, it has FSD and it will stay with the car. I bought a 2019 LR RWD with FSD almost two months ago from Carvana (and an Audi A4, last week).

And yes, Carvana can't help with specific questions like that. Once they get the car in inventory, it will sit on a lot until someone purchases it and it starts it's journey to you.

Also, don't be surprised if you get a call the morning of deliver that something is wrong with it. The first one I reserved had a very squeaky steering wheel and clunky front wheel while they were driving it through the parking lot (I could hear it through the phone). I said don't even bring it. Second car came, but had no charging cable. Take it back. Third car, jackpot! It's perfect and was way under priced.

The Audi had a dead battery which they replaced prior to delivery.

Just have patience, young Padawan.

And yes, Carvana can't help with specific questions like that. Once they get the car in inventory, it will sit on a lot until someone purchases it and it starts it's journey to you.
This sounds right. The one issue I had in buying my Model 3 from Carvana was that it’s obviously been sitting outside in the hot sun. I noticed some paint issues that I recall happening when I used to park outside all the time in LA during the summer. And in researching the VIN, it’s been sitting in Arizona for months and the pic they displayed had the car sitting outside in the lot of one of Carvana’s third-party partners. No complaints though — the car’s been perfect otherwise.

Can anyone tell me how long it usually takes to get the car in your Tesla account after delivery from Carvana? Carvana told me they won't push through all the final paperwork until after the 7 day guarantee window. I heard you can't use a supercharger or use the phone app until you get the paperwork back - only until then will you have the proper paperwork so that Tesla will let you add the car to your account. Can anyone let me know if that sounds right? Trying to piece all the details together.

PS- I kind of high jacked this thread but everyone is providing some good info so thanks for that.

I'm taking delivery Friday of a 2018 LR RWD and have the same question. The screen shot on Carvana's site shows the summon, but the slider is in the off position. Also it doesn't show traffic lights and stop sign control. Where does this leave me?