Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can AP2.0 owners upgrade to AP2.5 cameras for FSD with AP3 h/w?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

thegruf

Mar 24, 2015
indeterminate
So far as I can tell this is the biggest remaining difference if an AP2.0 owner were to upgrade to FSD.

Anyone know whether an upgrade is possible, talked to Tesla about it, or indeed could it be offered as an option if upgrading to AP3 hardware?

Elon already said that FSD Computer is coming to HW2 and HW2.5. Install for HW2.5 will be easier, while HW2.0 will be a bit more involved (Elon put this on twitter in the past 3 or 4 weeks)

What we do know:
HW2.5 to FSD Computer can be installed by Mobile Service and Service Center
HW2.0 to FSD Computer, all we do know is that Service Center will be able to do the install. We don't yet know how to quantity "a bit more involved" so understand that if Mobile Service can do this.

I don't have the Twitter link, but take a look at all his responses in the last 3 to 4 weeks and you'll one where he finally explicitly mentions HW2.0 separate from HW2.5.

Elon already said that FSD Computer is coming to HW2 and HW2.5. Install for HW2.5 will be easier, while HW2.0 will be a bit more involved (Elon put this on twitter in the past 3 or 4 weeks)

What we do know:
HW2.5 to FSD Computer can be installed by Mobile Service and Service Center
HW2.0 to FSD Computer, all we do know is that Service Center will be able to do the install. We don't yet know how to quantity "a bit more involved" so understand that if Mobile Service can do this.

I don't have the Twitter link, but take a look at all his responses in the last 3 to 4 weeks and you'll one where he finally explicitly mentions HW2.0 separate from HW2.5.

He never said 2.0 was harder than 2.5. model 3 is harder than S/X.

It's the same swap but a different harness. No cameras supposedly need to be changed or radar.

He never said 2.0 was harder than 2.5. model 3 is harder than S/X.

It's the same swap but a different harness. No cameras supposedly need to be changed or radar.

That's the problem we don't know for sure, but we can extrapolate from his comment:

Elon Musk on Twitter

Some are ready for FSDComputer (I assume this mean AP2.5), and some need trival upgrades (I assume this AP2.0). Trival meaning more than just a harness, but I have to assume swiping out the cameras or radar (using the same harness cable and connection).

But yes, no one knows and we just have to wait for when in 2019 this FSD Computer retrofit program starts.