Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can charge but cannot supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not talking about the BMS. I'm talking about the fact that a perfectly working AC charger has to be replaced and wasted because of a switching feature that is completely independent from AC charging.

I'm sure that the failed Charger/HV unit is remanufactured and used in future warranty repairs. It makes it easier/quicker for service to replace a whole module. And they are also saving in costs by integrating things at this level. How much would it add to each charger/HV junction pack to add two additional contactors, and the control circuitry to prevent this particular failure? (Not to mention size/weight/etc.) And the fact that something fails when it is exposed to ~400v DC, vs. 120-277v AC, in the charger likely means it will eventually fail during AC charging as well, so it is sort of an early warning system.

I'm not talking about the BMS. I'm talking about the fact that a perfectly working AC charger has to be replaced and wasted because of a switching feature that is completely independent from AC charging.
I don't think it's fair to say they are "completely independent". You need logic that talks to the input port and negotiates either an AC or a DC charge. It makes sense to use ONE processor and data interface and one connection to the BMS to handle both charging modes.If you made them separate, then you'd have to have them talk to each other, needing still more hardware and software. You wouldn't even gain any robustness since if the interconnection failed, you couldn't take the chance of starting a charge.

Reactions: GSP and MP3Mike
You're being unintentionally misleading because there is a fact you seem unaware of.
I see from your 3,000+ comment count that you probably have one of the older Teslas, so that is the paradigm you are in. On the older cars, the high voltage junction box was a separate piece of hardware from the onboard charger, and your statements would be correct about them being unrelated. But with the 2016 facelift refresh, when they reworked the charging system, they combined those into one unit, so the HVJB is a piece inside the onboard charger, so to fix a high voltage junction box problem, that does mean replacing the onboard charger.

So, from this, I infer that because I have a pre-facelift S, I may be looking at just a replacement HVJB, not the entire charger. This may mean ~$1000 repair instead of a ~$3000 one, yes?

Reactions: thecloud
So, from this, I infer that because I have a pre-facelift S, I may be looking at just a replacement HVJB, not the entire charger. This may mean ~$1000 repair instead of a ~$3000 one, yes?
Yes, they are separate pieces in the older cars. I'm not really sure of the prices from memory, but the HVJB is a simpler (cheaper) piece of equipment, so I think those prices do sound about right.

My March 2015 Pre facelift S85D's HVJB was replaced (see earlier in thread) for $1000 plus labor. It's the center box under the rear seat. My car has dual 40A chargers which are the two boxes on either side.

91167309-600F-4D6F-8B0D-7289B21309BC.jpeg

Summer 2014 Model S 85 55k miles

Identical problem at Supercharger last month and again at this month.
Multiple stalls, multiple trials without success before a lucky unexplained connection allowed supercharging.
Long discussions with Tesla Service and hold times without diagnosis with Service Center evaluation recommended.
AC Charging 240V 30 amp at home without problems.

Service Center stating that "Charger needs to be replaced" at a cost of $2500 a couple months and a couple thousand miles out of warranty.

Felt obliged to share with this helpful TMC Forum and add to the cumulative knowledge base.
It appears that this is not a unique problem and eager to learn how prevalent this is with early adopters and others.
Advice welcome

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and mrElbe
Summer 2014 Model S 85 55k miles

Identical problem at Supercharger last month and again at this month.
Multiple stalls, multiple trials without success before a lucky unexplained connection allowed supercharging.
Long discussions with Tesla Service and hold times without diagnosis with Service Center evaluation recommended.
AC Charging 240V 30 amp at home without problems.

Service Center stating that "Charger needs to be replaced" at a cost of $2500 a couple months and a couple thousand miles out of warranty.

Felt obliged to share with this helpful TMC Forum and add to the cumulative knowledge base.
It appears that this is not a unique problem and eager to learn how prevalent this is with early adopters and others.
Advice welcome
See my post #24 just a little above yours:
Can charge but cannot supercharge

You have an older 2014 pre-facelift car, so it's probably just the high voltage junction box that needs to be replaced (little bit cheaper), not the charger.

Just looking to see if there are any more updates from anyone on this? Similar issue has popped up on my 2014 S 85 with 112k miles. Can charge at home 40 amp 240 volt with no issue but cannot supercharge. Car simply says "starting to charge" and the switching to "charging stopped" with a flashing blue charge port. Is this the HVJB or the charger itself? I'm kinda surprised that there weren't any warning signs that I know of. I supercharged fine a week before it stopped. I guess the only thing that seemed off was I couldn't charge faster than 80 kW, but I just assumed it was because it was pretty cold and the battery was at about 40%, so it didn't seem unreasonable.

Also, I've seen videos of people swapping out chargers, has anyone on here swapped out the HVJB themselves or found someone/somewhere besides Tesla to do it?

Reactions: supratachophobia
Just looking to see if there are any more updates from anyone on this? Similar issue has popped up on my 2014 S 85 with 112k miles. Can charge at home 40 amp 240 volt with no issue but cannot supercharge. Car simply says "starting to charge" and the switching to "charging stopped" with a flashing blue charge port. Is this the HVJB or the charger itself? I'm kinda surprised that there weren't any warning signs that I know of. I supercharged fine a week before it stopped. I guess the only thing that seemed off was I couldn't charge faster than 80 kW, but I just assumed it was because it was pretty cold and the battery was at about 40%, so it didn't seem unreasonable.

Also, I've seen videos of people swapping out chargers, has anyone on here swapped out the HVJB themselves or found someone/somewhere besides Tesla to do it?

Take a look at this thread: Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

It seems like there is a problem with old Model S cars being able to charge at newer Supercharger sites. I think people said normally if you unplug and re-plug after the failure that it will normally work. (Assuming of course it isn't your charger and/or HV box that is a problem.)

It seems like there is a problem with old Model S cars being able to charge at newer Supercharger sites. I think people said normally if you unplug and re-plug after the failure that it will normally work. (Assuming of course it isn't your charger and/or HV box that is a problem.)

I'll have to take a look at that, but from your quote it doesn't appear to be the issue I'm having. I've supercharged just fine at the same location (Salt Lake City) without issue before. I tried multiple stalls to no avail. After that I tried going to another location I've been to before (Nephi, Utah) and still no luck. I hope it's just the HV box as that's a cheaper fix. :p

My car has been in service at the Pomona service center since New Year’s Eve. Same problem as others previously mentioned. My P85D would take a charge from a wall connector or nema 14-50 but wouldn’t charge at supercharging stations. When plugged in at SC it would say “getting ready to charge” but never gave me a flashing green indicator. I took it in to service on 12/31/18. A week later Tesla informed me that the junction box needs to be replaced. Almost One month later they finally received the part. They switched out the junction box today. I got a call at 6:30pm regarding the replacement however it still doesn’t work. They will run more diagnostics tomorrow morning. Fml

• Informative
Reactions: camthehombre
My car has been in service at the Pomona service center since New Year’s Eve. Same problem as others previously mentioned. My P85D would take a charge from a wall connector or nema 14-50 but wouldn’t charge at supercharging stations. When plugged in at SC it would say “getting ready to charge” but never gave me a flashing green indicator. I took it in to service on 12/31/18. A week later Tesla informed me that the junction box needs to be replaced. Almost One month later they finally received the part. They switched out the junction box today. I got a call at 6:30pm regarding the replacement however it still doesn’t work. They will run more diagnostics tomorrow morning. Fml

I called Tesla and also emailed. The call was unable to give me an answer but in the email the guy said it looks like it’s possibly a fault with the high voltage junction box but that it could be a firmware thing. They said they will get back to me within a couple of days.

I think this is a different problem. At least on my car SC does not start when I get red. Once SC does start I can charge as long as I want or the battery reaches max charge.

So I got my car back today. Under the service note, the following has been done:
1. Removed and replaced high voltage junction box due to alerts found in
logs.Performed function test of super charging and passed.uploaded latest
logs and found no super charging alerts.Performed final super charge function
and found charge port sticking removed and replaced charge port
assembly.Function tested charge port and and super charging system working
as designed.
2. Removed and replaced charge port assembly Removed and replaced
Junction box.Removed and replaced charger. Tested super charger operation.
Vehicle super charging as intended.
3. Performed test drive found dash pad trim not secured properly.Re secured and
insulated dash pad trim.Noise no longer present.

I am still under the warranty hence there is no charge for the repair. This whole process takes 5 weeks. I dropped the vehicle off on 01/30/2018.