Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can charge but cannot supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.....what was the end of the story? My 2015 S85D has the same problem. Quoted $2800 to replace onboard charger. I am thinking about getting a used charger ($600-ish) and doing it myself.

Does your car have dual chargers? If so you might be able to swap the primary for the secondary on the cheap.

I think the problem with DIY is you need to be able to redeploy firmware to get the car to recognize/accept the new charger... might be wrong about that.

The end of my "stuck in Flagstaff" story didn't end the way I expected...thankfully. It turns out it was the Flagstaff supercharger...all of them. i tried every single one of them. I think there were about 12. After my service appointment last week I was told there was nothing wrong with my on-board charger and that there have been a lot of issues reported with the superchargers in Flagstaff, and that they have now been repaired.

I was up in Flagstaff earlier this week and it seems they were right. My car said it was charging at 315 mph. I don't recall ever seeing numbers that high. I was ready to drive home in about 10 min. I guess I got lucky.

Sameone can help me n.v with the onboad 2gen is different from the first one , I don't how to open this damm thing??
1560050612515519760219557935798.jpg

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Why would you think that's not it? It looks to me like it probably is one of those 72A chargers with the silver cover off of it.
That is a picture of one of the older cars with two of the 40A chargers in it.

I can agree with you there but the pic above just looks so damn small. Hard to believe it's a gen 2. Why would the fuses be blown and why would anyone work on it since everything is under warranty. Need more info and pics to be sure.

EDIT....Gen2 chargers are old! I was forwarded to this thread saying this was a pic of the new Raven charger....hmmmmm....

I can agree with you there but the pic above just looks so damn small. Hard to believe it's a gen 2. Why would the fuses be blown and why would anyone work on it since everything is under warranty. Need more info and pics to be sure.

EDIT....Gen2 chargers are old! I was forwarded to this thread saying this was a pic of the new Raven charger....hmmmmm....

“Why are the fuses blown” was exactly my question because I think the person who posted the pic is confused.

That said, I do think this is a current-gen 72 amp Charger. Looks just like the eBay pic you posted but with the cover off. But maybe not. It’s hard to tell.

“Why are the fuses blown” was exactly my question because I think the person who posted the pic is confused.

That said, I do think this is a current-gen 72 amp Charger. Looks just like the eBay pic you posted but with the cover off. But maybe not. It’s hard to tell.
The Ebay one says it's a 72amp gen3 for 2017+. So now I'm even more confused. Good thing I'm not ever planning on removing this charger from my car.

Has anyone experienced this post-software update that preps the battery for optimal charging or am I experiencing a coincidence? Mine no longer charges reliably at chargers I've used in the past e.g., Cabazon worked, no longer works; Culver City worked post-Cabazon twice, Cabazon didn't work again, Culver City no longer works. Tried multiple stalls at each. Really hoping my recently out of warranty Model S doesn't result in a $2500 hit.

My 2014 S 85 is in the middle of having the high voltage junction box replaced after experiencing exactly the same problems as everyone else in this thread. My car is out of warranty with 73k miles. They ordered the part a month ago because it can be hard to get according to my service center in Plano Texas. I took the car in yesterday, received a MS loaner and it should be ready this afternoon. Total cost quoted for the repair including labor is $1,485. It makes me wonder if I did the right thing not buying the $4,000 extended warranty but I can’t change that now.

2017 model 3 140,000 miles. Had a few incidents where charging stopped partway at different superchargers but charging could be resumed. A month later it can no longer charge at any superchargers. Reading through these posts it looks like I’ll be coming out of pocket 1000-3000$. Notified Tesla and awaiting diagnostics. Feels like all the money I saved on gas is going back to Tesla anyways. Great car but there are a lot of great $60,000 cars. Was really hoping to avoid big hits like this and save a few bucks on gas along the way. Car becomes almost useless for me too if I’m married to the 240v which still works fine. I like the other members quote about being on a boat with no water in the middle of the ocean. Also had a window busted out that cost 1000 to replace. Several 12v batteries so far and man I go thru tires like crazy. No savings just a nice car.

2017 model 3 140,000 miles. Had a few incidents where charging stopped partway at different superchargers but charging could be resumed. A month later it can no longer charge at any superchargers. Reading through these posts it looks like I’ll be coming out of pocket 1000-3000$. Notified Tesla and awaiting diagnostics. Feels like all the money I saved on gas is going back to Tesla anyways. Great car but there are a lot of great $60,000 cars. Was really hoping to avoid big hits like this and save a few bucks on gas along the way. Car becomes almost useless for me too if I’m married to the 240v which still works fine. I like the other members quote about being on a boat with no water in the middle of the ocean. Also had a window busted out that cost 1000 to replace. Several 12v batteries so far and man I go thru tires like crazy. No savings just a nice car.
If you can charge fine on 240 without any errors, it's probably NOT your charger. Probably your pack, which should still be under warranty. Supercharging bypasses the AC-DC onboard charger.

If you can charge fine on 240 without any errors, it's probably NOT your charger. Probably your pack, which should still be under warranty. Supercharging bypasses the AC-DC onboard charger.
This is incorrect. The onboard charger communicates with the supercharger. Think about it. Both AC and DC traverse the same wires to reach the HVJB. What controls that process? It’s the onboard charger. Albeit the onboard charger doesn‘t participate in the conversion of AC to DC, but it coordinates how this power gets to the battery from the charge port.
If you dig around enough on TMC, you will find posts with people who took their car to the Service center with the same complaint and had the onboard charger replaced.

Reactions: MP3Mike
This is incorrect. The onboard charger communicates with the supercharger. Think about it. Both AC and DC traverse the same wires to reach the HVJB. What controls that process? It’s the onboard charger. Albeit the onboard charger doesn‘t participate in the conversion of AC to DC, but it coordinates how this power gets to the battery from the charge port.
If you dig around enough on TMC, you will find posts with people who took their car to the Service center with the same complaint and had the onboard charger replaced.
Doesn't the onboard charger convert AC to DC?