Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can charge but cannot supercharge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was responding to this incorrect statement.
Post in thread 'Can charge but cannot supercharge' Can charge but cannot supercharge

Albeit the onboard charger doesn‘t participate in the conversion of AC to DC, but it coordinates how this power gets to the battery from the charge port.
The Supercharging Station converts AC to DC from the grid. But the On board charge is what coordinates the dance of circuits leading to the supercharge powering the car for DC fast charging.

I think some of this talking past each other is because of how the modularity of the parts have shifted over the years from the S/X to the 3/Y. The high voltage junction box used to be a separate physical part within the car that detected a DC connection and routed it into the battery instead of going to the "charger". The "charger" was a separate piece that really wasn't involved.

But later on, Tesla stated combining some things into boxes with other parts, so that high voltage junction box function wasn't a separate piece anymore, but was moved inside the box that was called the "charger". So it was involved in detecting DC and sending it to the battery, just like before, but now people are technically sort-of right in saying it's the "charger" doing it, because the HVJB is inside there now.

Reactions: dbldwn02
I think some of this talking past each other is because of how the modularity of the parts have shifted over the years from the S/X to the 3/Y. The high voltage junction box used to be a separate physical part within the car that detected a DC connection and routed it into the battery instead of going to the "charger". The "charger" was a separate piece that really wasn't involved.
I'm pretty sure that even back in the days when there was a separate HVJB, it was essentially dumb, and the "charger" took care of all of the Supercharging communications and telling the HVJB what to do. I think that functionality has now been split out into a separate module, the "charge port ECU" on the 3/Y.

Reactions: brkaus and CB198
Hey big thanks to everybody who posted here. First off apologies for leaving my message in the wrong thread. Update on the car, it’s in the shop as I’m typing, on the way to pick it up. Tesla says they replaced the guide pins at the charge port and the charger ecu! Sounds strange to me. Before bringing the car in I did find one supercharger that worked, but I think it only worked because the stalls were all full and it charged very slow. Returned to the exact same supercharger later and it didn’t work when there were only a few other cars charging. Tried probably 20 other chargers at 5 different locations and none worked. My car is model 3 #45000 or so which leads me to believe it has the separate charge boxes for ac and dc as another commenter stated. But according to Tesla this was not the issue. Now the strange part, the invoice says $268 and they messaged me that the car is ready to pick up. Pending the updated invoice. ??? I thought back in the day the process was inspect, estimate, repair, pay, get your car. What’s going on here? They also said I have a nail in one tire and they replaced it for me without asking. I know it wasn’t leaking air at all when we dropped it off, I hope one of the guys isn’t hustling tires on the side using this method. I’m going to ask for the tire when I show up. So as it stands now, I’m awaiting the “managers” approval of the new estimate and my car is on a destination charger at the shop in the parking lot and I’ve been told I can pick it up anytime. Still haven’t paid and I wonder how they tested supercharger functionality with the new pins and ecu if there’s no supercharger at the shop? Thanks to all for reading I will update again when I have more. I hope this information can help somebody else out with similar issues down the proverbial road. Cheers

Well they fixed the tire on the house because they felt bad for us that the tires were almost brand new. Unfortunately, upon arrival at the supercharger next to the service center, it still doesn’t supercharge. Total price out the door $268. I guess replacing the ‘charge port ecu’ didn’t do the trick. I sort of expected it wouldn’t. Always had great experiences at the service center previous to this. Taking it back in to discuss having our car fixed.

Update… just before bringing it back in we wanted to make sure it wasn’t operator error so we reset the car and switched to a different supercharge and BINGO it works!!! How bizarre. The charge port prongs seem to have been replaced but since we don’t have any invoice it’s sort of hard to tell what they actually did. The labor rate is 255 an hour so it’s mind blowing that anything could have been accomplished for the prices we were charged. I’ll have to chalk this up to their modus operandi of not making the service center a place for generating profits. Tesla manages to far exceed my expectations once again. Still a bit shocked by the emotional roller coaster. If it was our other car we wouldnt have even cared what The results were. After the cross country road trip and saving our lives a few times she’s like part of the family now. It’s amazing how crucial the supercharger network is though because if you can’t use it you can’t really go out of town unless you have charging facilities at home. Safe driving everybody. Cheers

Buy a replacement from wk057 and be done with it. I couldn’t supercharge but could AC charge. They shipped me a replacement at a reasonable cost and I sold the old one on ebay. Problem solved.
Replacement of what exactly? The hvjb? Why didn’t the service center do this for me when I took it in? Seems to only be able to supercharge at the lowest amps possible.

Replacement of what exactly? The hvjb? Why didn’t the service center do this for me when I took it in? Seems to only be able to supercharge at the lowest amps possible.
It was the fast charge contractor for the high voltage battery. Parts 70 and 2.5 hours labor. I hope this helps somebody else diagnosing their car. Charges fine now. Thanks a lot for our heroes at the service center keeping our cars rolling. Cheers everybody.

Well after all that it still stops while supercharging at various points. Much better but still not quite fixed. Will be scheduling another appointment, this time in Fremont which hopefully can do a better job. New error code is CP_a140. 1000$ so far and running. Would be great to know what the problem is at least for that price. When I google that code I see LOTS of other people having the same issue and couldn’t find anybody who had resolved it so far. I will continue looking. If anybody has any idea what this is all about please let me know. Thank you.

After taking a short road trip out of the metroplex yesterday in my Model S, I stopped at the Southlake, TX supercharger to charge for the final leg home. The supercharging began, as normal, drawing about 90 kW. After a few minutes, however, the main display switched to "Charging Stopped." Plugging and unplugging and switching stalls didn't help. Each time I plugged in and car would display "Charging will begin momentarily," for a few minutes, and then switch to "Charging Stopped."

Since then, I've charged successfully at two wall chargers but supercharging still doesn't work, even when trying at the Plano supercharger. (The only difference was that while at the Plano supercharger the instrument display periodically displayed a message saying "Cannot charge. Unplug and try again.")

I spent nearly an hour on the phone with roadside assistance while at the Southlake supercharger and the technical people who dug into the issue were unable to identify a cause. We've scheduled a service appointment for Wednesday but I wanted to see if anyone had any ideas in the meantime.
I know this is a very old thread, but in the spirit of not starting a new thread, I wanted to add to this.

My 2023 MYLR now has the same problem - will not DC charge from a Supercharger or any third party DCFC (with Tesla adapter).

The Supercharging session seems to start normally, but about 2 to 5 minutes in, it will fail and stop with the message “Charging Stopped”. No error messages displayed in the car from the bell icon. Moving to a different stall, same outcome.

Almost got stranded out of state near the end of a 3500 mile trip. The couple dozen SC sessions prior to that were totally normal; just randomly stopped working at Liberty MO and cannot DCFC charge anywhere now.

AC is fine at home or anywhere on the road with J adapter. It just took a long time to get enough juice from Chargepoint L2 to get home.

It was charging for just a few minutes which is why this image shows 7kw added before it failed. None of the other stalls were successful after that. This image was another failed attempt further up the road in St Joseph MO. (Edit: it looks like these images are not uploading)

I get the sense from this thread that S/X and 3/Y are just a little different, but anyone have this issue recently with a Y under warranty and what was the fix?

Soonest the Service Center can take me is a couple weeks from now.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_7287.jpeg
    IMG_7287.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_7299.jpeg
    IMG_7299.jpeg
    768.2 KB · Views: 36
I know this is a very old thread, but in the spirit of not starting a new thread, I wanted to add to this.

My 2023 MYLR now has the same problem - will not DC charge from a Supercharger or any third party DCFC (with Tesla adapter).

The Supercharging session seems to start normally, but about 2 to 5 minutes in, it will fail and stop with the message “Charging Stopped”. No error messages displayed in the car from the bell icon. Moving to a different stall, same outcome.

Almost got stranded out of state near the end of a 3500 mile trip. The couple dozen SC sessions prior to that were totally normal; just randomly stopped working at Liberty MO and cannot DCFC charge anywhere now.

AC is fine at home or anywhere on the road with J adapter. It just took a long time to get enough juice from Chargepoint L2 to get home.

It was charging for just a few minutes which is why this image shows 7kw added before it failed. None of the other stalls were successful after that. This image was another failed attempt further up the road in St Joseph MO. (Edit: it looks like these images are not uploading)

I get the sense from this thread that S/X and 3/Y are just a little different, but anyone have this issue recently with a Y under warranty and what was the fix?

Soonest the Service Center can take me is a couple weeks from now.

Thanks in advance
Exactly the same issue here on my 2023 Model Y Long Range. I was at 15% at a supercharger 100 miles from home and it would not charge. Worked fine the day before. Same symptoms as on this thread - not an issue with the supercharger itself and no amount of rebooting my car or trying different chargers helped. Luckily I was able to find an L2 charger and get home (L2 works fine), however I now need to wait over a week before Tesla can look at it. The Tesla phone reps were useless. I rely on supercharging on longer drives and using L2 is not going to work for me (can't make a 5 L2 hour charging stop on the way). Just curious how long ti took to resolve your issue and what the diagnosis was.

Exactly the same issue here on my 2023 Model Y Long Range. I was at 15% at a supercharger 100 miles from home and it would not charge. Worked fine the day before. Same symptoms as on this thread - not an issue with the supercharger itself and no amount of rebooting my car or trying different chargers helped. Luckily I was able to find an L2 charger and get home (L2 works fine), however I now need to wait over a week before Tesla can look at it. The Tesla phone reps were useless. I rely on supercharging on longer drives and using L2 is not going to work for me (can't make a 5 L2 hour charging stop on the way). Just curious how long ti took to resolve your issue and what the diagnosis was.
That is concerning. Now I will worry a little bit every time I go on a road trip. Have you scheduled service? Do let us know what comes of it please.

That is concerning. Now I will worry a little bit every time I go on a road trip. Have you scheduled service? Do let us know what comes of it please.
I had this issue in 2018 in my brand new MS 90D. See post #17
Tesla replaced my defective onboard charger to resolve the issue.

Post#17
I haven’t read all responses. I literally had this exact issue with my previous Model S 90D while out of town on my first road trip in the first week of ownership last year. I had to use ChargePoint and a 110 outlet to get home. They replaced the onboard 72amp Charger and all was good. At the time it was explained to me that even though supercharging is DC and bypasses the actual AC to DC onboard charger, The circuitry on the charger does provide power management during supercharging. I can only assume this is somehow independent from the power management for AC to DC charging, since it also worked in my case.

Reactions: Eric33432

Post#17
I haven’t read all responses. I literally had this exact issue with my previous Model S 90D while out of town on my first road trip in the first week of ownership last year. I had to use ChargePoint and a 110 outlet to get home. They replaced the onboard 72amp Charger and all was good. At the time it was explained to me that even though supercharging is DC and bypasses the actual AC to DC onboard charger, The circuitry on the charger does provide power management during supercharging. I can only assume this is somehow independent from the power management for AC to DC charging, since it also worked in my case.
Has everything been good since they replaced the defective part(s) in 2018? Just wondering if this is a problematic component or just a one off.

I am going to a service appointment tomorrow morning.

Reactions: Eric33432

Post#17
Dang...that's worrisome. Replacing an entire $3000 onboard charger for a supercharger issue? The supercharger basically bypasses the onboard charger, so I'm wondering what actually failed...a $50 relay?

I really wish they would troubleshoot down to a smaller part instead of just replacing one big thing.