Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I drive the M3 RWD without winter tires through the snowy mountains?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
SSIA. So I know EVs have better traction than ICEs on icy roads/snow, but what about without winter tires? I live in Texas (and don't need winter tires) and was wondering if I could drive up to Colorado/Utah and be ok.......My wife's family is planning a trip to ski somewhere for next year and I'm trying to figure out if we'll have to rent an SUV instead of using my car.

Thanks in advance for helpful tips/feedback.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Winter driving in cold weather and snow is first an issue with tread. You need tread on your tires. So if your all-weather tires have good tread (50%+ original) you will be fine. If you have summer times, consider all-weather tires.

For most drivers who do not drive in snowy weather much, you’d need to stay about three to four times further away from all cars. I have my autopilot distance set to 7 and I might raise it.

So if you car has room for luggage, you’ll be fine.

If you drive a lot in snowy weather, snow tires are a very good idea.

SSIA. So I know EVs have better traction than ICEs on icy roads/snow, but what about without winter tires? I live in Texas (and don't need winter tires) and was wondering if I could drive up to Colorado/Utah and be ok.......My wife's family is planning a trip to ski somewhere for next year and I'm trying to figure out if we'll have to rent an SUV instead of using my car.

Thanks in advance for helpful tips/feedback.

I’d rent the SUV if any snow is forecasted... RWD and snow does not mix...

Winter driving in cold weather and snow is first an issue with tread. You need tread on your tires. So if your all-weather tires have good tread (50%+ original) you will be fine. If you have summer times, consider all-weather tires.
Thanks. Honestly, and this is why I asked, I dont know what type of tires I have.....haha. I live in Texas and dont have to pay attention to that. I just got my model 3 about 4 weeks ago, so whatever type of tires come with it and I would assume they would still have 50% after only a year.....

Thanks. Honestly, and this is why I asked, I dont know what type of tires I have.....haha. I live in Texas and dont have to pay attention to that. I just got my model 3 about 4 weeks ago, so whatever type of tires come with it and I would assume they would still have 50% after only a year.....

Mine came with 19” continental all season tires... not sure if all cars come with all season radials.

Renting an SUV is no solution. Appropriate tyres are.
For very occasional use I would buy a set of plastic chains. They do not last very long but they do not have to and are easy to put on.

Like these. Add a tensioner too.
But keep in mind that the best winter traction solution comes no where close to dry roads so DRIVE SLOWER and KEEP A VERY GENEROUS FOLLOWING DISTANCE.

Last edited:
As above, plus you should change your regen to the Low (assuming you usually have it on Normal). On RWD the Normal regen will be roughly equivalent to full accelerator lift-off when downshifted in a manual and that can really unsettle the car, easily breaking the rear end loose on slippery surfaces. That'll create "fish-tailing" and potentially start you towards a full on slide depending on conditions and your reactions. The T/C system does help in this regard as it limits regen also when it detects slippage, and you could theoretically mitigate that with very tight control on the accelerator pedal, thus rarely ever creating that much regen, but it's a lot easy and ultimately probably safer to just do it via the setting.

Well, after reading the thread on "M3 issue Colorado Mountains", it seem like Performance Model 3s have summer tires for summer traction and it's recommended that they be replaced with winter tires if you are going to drive in ice and snow. I cannot tell if you have a PM3 or not.

Hey Now,

Here in CO it's a $650 fine for not having proper equipment. That means if you block the road and the State Troopers see you don't have snow tires, you could get fined.

But that's the least of it. You could also hurt yourself and others.

I've lived in the CO mountains all my life so far. All season tires are good for all seasons but Winter.

Do yourself and us a favor - please put snow tires on your car. They're cheap insurance. Thanks in advance.

Peace and love,

Well, after reading the thread on "M3 issue Colorado Mountains", it seem like Performance Model 3s have summer tires for summer traction and it's recommended that they be replaced with winter tires if you are going to drive in ice and snow. I cannot tell if you have a PM3 or not.

Since he has a RWD 3, I'm going to guess it is not a P. If he does have a P RWD, please let me know ASAP how I can get one!

Should be no problem with RWD on snow covered roads. People have been doing this for years. The exquisite throttle control of an EV makes the driving even easier.
Autopilot is not designed for driving on snow and ice, so stick to manual in challenging conditions. Do not use cruise control either...all driver.
Turn regen down or off and consider using the slip setting for slick roads.
Easy on the accel and braking and you should be fine.

Driving on slippery roads is a learned skill. You will get better and better at it, but always be cautious...always be cautious.

Most major highways will be plowed and salted, but side streets can often accumulate several inches of snow.

Another issue with snow covered roads is that both headlights and windshields can become obscured. Use your defrosters front and rear and clean your headlights from time to time.

While driving on snow can be dangerous, it can also be fun if you keep your head about you.

Reactions: RedModel3
When there is snow I just put chains on. I wouldn't risk driving any car in snow without them unless I had no warning and therefore didn't have the chains on me. I imagine the AWD M3's are monsters in the snow with some chains on the front or both sest of wheels. I know my AWD Talon had zero problems even in deep, un-ploughed snow with just a set of chains on the front.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeclanual
Generally our roads are plowed and sanded quickly after a storm (or treated with mag chloride before the snow falls, depending on the temperature). I'd recommend carrying chains and avoiding driving while it is snowing, without proper snow tires. Better to wait until the roads are cleared than to press on and get into trouble. Check out cotrip.org for road information and web cameras all over the mountains.

As spinbackwards said, here in Colorado it is expected that you will have appropriate equipment for the conditions. There aren't checkpoints but if you get into a weather-related wreck without proper equipment you will be cited. I presume that it is much the same in Utah, but don't know for sure.

In general, RWD plus snow tires works quite well — that's what I am using and my steep driveway and road have been snowpacked for weeks. RWD plus chains also works but is a nuisance. However, chains would be more practical for infrequent visits to the mountains than snow tires in Texas.

The cautious driving suggestions by others above are very important when driving in slick conditions. Be aware that bridges can be icy even when the surrounding roads aren't. Also, remember that shady spots can also be icy even when the rest of the road is clear. Overall, just slow down and keep a big following distance when conditions are difficult. If others want to go faster, just let them pass.

RWD not the issue--Tesla has very good traction control software--check out the older YouTube videos of folks having fun in the now with their Model Ses. Equipment-wise, it really comes down to the tires--they need to have a tread pattern that stays effective in show/slush and they need to be made of a compound that does not turn to rock in low temps--most summer tires and even some "all season tires turn hard in temps below 40F
  • It would be best to do this with proper winter tires (ideally, look for a mountain and snowflake on the side of the tire). Minimally make sure you have all-season tires with M+S stamped on the side and have at least 50% tread depth and still pick up a set of chains. Do not try this with summer tires.
  • Practice putting your chains on in your driveway--the definition of hell is trying to decipher instructions on how to put chains on your car for the first time in the middle of a snow storm
  • Some folks find it useful to flip regeneration to the low setting
  • If you so get bogged down in snow, remember the "slip start" setting
  • Road temps are a few degrees below air temp--the temp the car reports to you. Start watching for icing when air temps get into the 37F-38F range--I look for variations in road color--matte/flat=safer, shiny=caution
  • Remember that range will take a hit in low temps so plan accordingly

Hey Now,

Here in CO it's a $650 fine for not having proper equipment. That means if you block the road and the State Troopers see you don't have snow tires, you could get fined.

But that's the least of it. You could also hurt yourself and others.

I've lived in the CO mountains all my life so far. All season tires are good for all seasons but Winter.

Do yourself and us a favor - please put snow tires on your car. They're cheap insurance. Thanks in advance.

Peace and love,

The sign on my way through Eisenhower tunnel last weekend said $1150 fine.

The idea of driving in snowy mountains in a RWD car with all season tires is ridiculous. I've got lots of time driving in snowy mountain conditions with many types of vehicles but RWD + all season tires + icy conditions is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: Leeclanual