Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I install the new update or will it put me even further past getting into beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New update just came through but I am waiting to get into Beta and don’t wanna update to far ahead of the beta stack.

Safe to install or just ignore and wait?

My safety score is 90

1B05B1B8-9731-4EAD-BFF7-F7BC30FC4437.png

New update just came through but I am waiting to get into Beta and don’t wanna update to far ahead of the beta stack.
Safe to install or just ignore and wait?
My safety score is 90
Problem is, no one here knows for sure how Beta candidates are selected. What I have done in the past is I accepted every update that came along. Eventually I found myself getting several 2022.20 versions eventually ending up with the Beta.

No one (here) knows for sure if the new betas will be 2022.28.x, 2022.36.x or something else. My attitude (for me only) has been to accept every update ASAP, I did not want Tesla to think I was not interested by not applying an update as soon as it was released. But I really have no idea if that is a factor or not. The thing to watch for are folks getting Betas that are running something newer than 2022.20.x

Do what you want, but I'm waiting.

I posted on September 30th, 2022 in an older All 80+ safety score owners getting Beta thread:

My car now wants to install 2022.28.2. If I keep declining to install it, will it eventually offer me a Beta version instead?

I installed 2022.24.8 and less than an hour later opted into having my Safety Score calculated. I achieved 100 miles on AP with a safety score in the high 90s the morning 80+ approvals started going out. A few hours later I learned from this thread that having installed 2022.24.8 would keep me from getting the 2022.20.17 based 10.69.2.2 beta release.

I have a 2022 Model Y, and my safety score is still in the 90's. So I'm hoping the next Beta release will be based on something after 2022.24.8, and that I will be included. I've just never postponed an install for more than hours before, so I don't know what to expect.
Today is October 27th, and I am still postponing the install. Happily I have learned that I rarely need to actually dismiss the schedule-install popup window. It goes away on its own when I press the brake and the pin-to-drive popup appears.

I compulsively check https://www.teslafi.com/firmware.php, often more than once a day. My plan is to let the car keep nagging me about 2022.28.2 at least until I see a new FSD Beta listed based on something later. I do NOT KNOW if I will have to install the already downloaded version before Tesla will offer me a FSD Beta download. However, as I posted in September, I do know that getting ahead of the underlying beta release will postpone my getting beta.

I can live without the 2022.28.*, 2022.36.*, and 2022.40.* new features and new bugs. I also understand that once I'm on a FSD Beta branch I will always be among the last to receive new base releases.

I believe the most recent FSD Beta build is 2022.20.18, so if you've already installed something newer, you won't get that Beta build. As others have said, we don't know which build the next FSD Beta will be based on, so keep your options open by not installing anything new.

On a related note, my wife's Model 3, which is in the FSD Beta queue, hasn't received any new updates since 2022.20.9. There was some speculation that cars already targeted to receive the FSD Beta might not be getting updates so that they can receive 2022.20.18 when the time comes. My Model S, which is not in the FSD Beta queue, has received several updates since 2022.20.9. Usually both cars get the same updates at around the same time.

I have FSD Beta on both my 2018 X and 2020 Y. I didn't know the features we were missing until we was given an loaner M3. Now, they are out with alternate routing. The M3 had the blind spot camera movable. I think Beta has came a very long way but still has plenty room for improvements. It is not there yet where you can set it and forget it. Right now, I think I'd probably want the added features vs beta.

Do what you want, but I'm waiting.

I posted on September 30th, 2022 in an older All 80+ safety score owners getting Beta thread:

Today is October 27th, and I am still postponing the install. Happily I have learned that I rarely need to actually dismiss the schedule-install popup window. It goes away on its own when I press the brake and the pin-to-drive popup appears.

I compulsively check TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker, often more than once a day. My plan is to let the car keep nagging me about 2022.28.2 at least until I see a new FSD Beta listed based on something later. I do NOT KNOW if I will have to install the already downloaded version before Tesla will offer me a FSD Beta download. However, as I posted in September, I do know that getting ahead of the underlying beta release will postpone my getting beta.

I can live without the 2022.28.*, 2022.36.*, and 2022.40.* new features and new bugs. I also understand that once I'm on a FSD Beta branch I will always be among the last to receive new base releases.
Did postponing the update work? Does tesla push new update even if you have a pending install of some other update?

Did postponing the update work? Does tesla push new update even if you have a pending install of some other update?
If I recall correctly, I let the car keep nagging me about installing 2022.28.2 from September 30th, until FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 (2022.36.20) went to wide release around November 19th. Then I let the car install 2022.28.2.

Not too long afterwards, though it seemed like forever, the car installed FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 (2022.36.20). By November 29th I was posting about my first week's experience with FSD.

I do not know what would have happened if I had tried to postpone 2022.28.2 "forever." I also don't know if postponing 2022.28.2 was necessary at all.