Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I send someone a key to move my Tesla without them needing the physical key card?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I send someone a key to move my Tesla without them needing the physical key card to approve the app key to move my car? Basically, I am stuck in London and I need my car moving out of a car park that closes at 8pm. If I send the key to a family member will they be able to start it and move it without the need of the original black key card? If I send them access and they get in it, can I press remote start from my app to by pass the need for the black key card so that it can moved out of the car park?

Solution
You can unlock and start the car remotely from your phone and they can move the vehicle. Once it is in drive it will continue to be drivable until it is put into park (I believe ...). They don't need to have the app or permission on their own phone.
Can you only drive it once when in park or does it reset it self when you leave and close the door?
Once you press the start button in the app, you have 2 minutes to actually press the brake and start the car. Once that time expires you have to re-enable it.
Model 3 Do It Yourself | Tesla

Generally if the car goes into park you have to do start again to keep driving (same thing basically applies if your keyfob or phone gets out of range).

One thing people didn't mention is that the app based (not phone key) remote unlock and start only works if the car has LTE reception. Some parking lots are underground and would not have any reception. Hopefully OP is aware of this.

Upvote 0
How can you do this on another phone unless it has the app applicable to your car?
1. Borrow phone
2. Install Tesla app (if it isn't already on the device)
3. Log into Tesla account (Note that if you have two factor authentication enabled and you've lost your mobile device, it will be more difficult to use this method but it could still be possible if someone else is on your account. You'd have to contact them and get the code that would allow you to sign into the app.)
4. Start vehicle remotely

Reactions: Radlaw
Upvote 0
1. Borrow phone
2. Install Tesla app (if it isn't already on the device)
3. Log into Tesla account (Note that if you have two factor authentication enabled and you've lost your mobile device, it will be more difficult to use this method but it could still be possible if someone else is on your account. You'd have to contact them and get the code that would allow you to sign into the app.)
4. Start vehicle remotely
Wouldn't it be easier to have the 2nd party on your app approve the start remotely?

Upvote 0
Wouldn't it be easier to have the 2nd party on your app approve the start remotely?
If you have two factor authentication and are able to get ahold of them, then yes, they could start the car remotely. If you can't get ahold of them and don't have two factor enabled then you can still do it yourself by installing the app on a new device.

Upvote 0
Once you press the start button in the app, you have 2 minutes to actually press the brake and start the car. Once that time expires you have to re-enable it.
Model 3 Do It Yourself | Tesla

Generally if the car goes into park you have to do start again to keep driving (same thing basically applies if your keyfob or phone gets out of range).

One thing people didn't mention is that the app based (not phone key) remote unlock and start only works if the car has LTE reception. Some parking lots are underground and would not have any reception. Hopefully OP is aware of this.
I was in a big underground car park in London last night supercharging. I went off to grab a drink but couldn't see my charging status. That is the first time it has ever not connected. So, yeah you're screwed if there is not service or unless you connect your car to the car park wifi, which many ppl wont be doing

Upvote 0