Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can I use a tire sealant as a temporary fix to get me to a tire shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a flat tire with a large screw in it. See attached photo. Can I use a tire sealant as a temporary fix to get me to a tire shop? I’m wondering because of the sound reducing foam in the tire. Not sure if that would affect the sealant. I’m thinking the tire will not be reparable as the screw is so close to the side. Hopefully I’m wrong. I still have the stock 19 Continental tires. Tesla roadside service for tire repair is pricey.

Attachments

• IMG_6879.jpeg
    IMG_6879.jpeg
    571.4 KB · Views: 365
Don't use the sealant unless absolutely necessary. The tire sealant is a pain to clean up (the tire repair center could even charge you additional money for shop supplies.) You can use the air compressor that comes with the tire repair kit (without using the sealant) if you need to add air to the tire until you can have the tire replaced. Replace the tire as soon as possible. (That puncture, if leaking air, is too close to the inner sidewall to be repairable. You may be advised to purchase two tires (left and right) depending on how many miles are on the tires.

Reactions: byeLT4 and Zompopo
Don't use the sealant unless absolutely necessary. The tire sealant is a pain to clean up (the tire repair center could even charge you additional money for shop supplies.) You can use the air compressor that comes with the tire repair kit (without using the sealant) if you need to add air to the tire until you can have the tire replaced. Replace the tire as soon as possible. (That puncture, if leaking air, is too close to the inner sidewall to be repairable. You may be advised to purchase two tires (left and right) depending on how many miles are on the tires.
If it’s not repairable, I will probably use the sealant. I’ll ask the tire shop. Thanks.

Agreed! From someone with tons of nails. IF the leak is slow, just fill it with extra air and leave it in until you get to the tire center. YOU can try slime and america's tires say they won't charge extra but it's just alot to clean up on their end.
SO if it's a slow leak just fill it up with air and you'll be fine. I think I drove 500 miles on a nail like that with no issues. Yours also looks hard to plug

I have a flat tire with a large screw in it. See attached photo. Can I use a tire sealant as a temporary fix to get me to a tire shop? I’m wondering because of the sound reducing foam in the tire. Not sure if that would affect the sealant. I’m thinking the tire will not be reparable as the screw is so close to the side. Hopefully I’m wrong. I still have the stock 19 Continental tires. Tesla roadside service for tire repair is pricey.
When I had a flat left rear tire in my garage, I put in a service request on my Tesla App. The Tesla roaming tire repair van showed up in my driveway 40 minutes later and replaced and balanced my new tire.

Attachments

• Tesla Left Rear Tire IMG_9758.JPG
    Tesla Left Rear Tire IMG_9758.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 173
  • Tesla Tire Repair Van IMG_9762.JPG
    Tesla Tire Repair Van IMG_9762.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 166
Reactions: zoomer0056
I keep a https://www.amazon.com/Slime-20133-...10693&sprefix=slime+repair+kit,aps,216&sr=8-2 in the car for that situation where I might be able to plug it if its bad. I'd recommend having a pair of needle nose pliers too. This is mainly for the road trip, no cell type panic moment.

Then I keep one of those portable tire pumps w/ battery. Screws on, stops at pressure and fairly light.

I've been yelled at in the past of a alloy rim and trying to use leak fix stuff on it but it is a foam lined tire so it can't typically get to the nail.

• Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
Tesla remote mobile repair can bring you a new tire.
You can take your wheel off your car, and take it to a local tire store for a replacement.
You can use some "Monkey Grip" type plug sealer from local Auto Parts store and plug it enough to get to tire store.
If it hold air you can drive slowly to a tire store.
Lots of options.
Tire foam ususllay just in the middle of the tire. Looks like your penetration will be outside that.
Tire slime is messy for the shop to deal with.

That looks clearly in the flat part of the tread.
It's super simple to use a plug kit to repair that. I've done it a few times, even that close to the side wall.

Fix-a-Flat, or any liquid goo you put inside has the potential to eff up your TPMS. Not worth the risk.
And it's going to be very hit-&-miss whether it'll even help with a foam insulation tire anyway. The foam is porous, so very difficult to get a good seal. Now, with the location of that puncture, it may not even be covered by foam, but it's borderline.

Just use a plug kit, follow the directions.
Extra tips:
Be sure to keep a slight inward angle when using the clean-up tool so you don't risk scraping the side wall. (low profile tires are trickier)
Fully deflate your tire. Any air pressure will work against you when you're putting in the plug.
Then, spray a little soapy water, before and after, on the hole to 1) lubricate the sticky plug going in, and 2) helps show any air leaks afterward.
I have to straddle the tire and use all my weight pressing down to get the plug all the way in, so it's not easy, but for nails and screws, it'll last a long time, and save you from buying a new tire or 2.

Reactions: Iron
Any repair of the puncture of the OP's tire should be considered temporary. For your safety and their liability a tire shop would refuse to repair a puncture on the inner or outer most part of the tire tread so close to the sidewall. Replace the tire.
"temporary" is relative.
Sure, ideally, replace the tire. But circumstances don't always allow for that.

Another factor to be considered is driving style and use-case.
Commuters and highway travel can be different.
Aggressive driving vs casual driving would affect the "temporary" timeframe of a plug fix as well.
Ultimately, we're all here to give opinions and "help" our fellow T owners.
But it's their choice in the end to decide which advice to listen to and choose what's right for them.

I am 130# female an hour from Birmingham, Alabama and this happened. It was so noisy to drive I was afraid to leave it in. I went to an Advance auto that was open at 845 on a Saturday night and got a tire repair kit and 2 cans of air/ fix a flat. The high school kid closing the store was very nice, but couldn't help.I took out the nail and plugged it with every bit of force I could muster. Tire pressure dropped to 20 and both cans got it up to 27. I drove to the interstate and found a gas station with an air machine that took a credit card and finally made it home. My husband took it to the tire store next day. They said it looked great and didn't need to be replaced. That was 7500 miles ago. Tires now have 27500 miles on them and still look good. Tire pressure sensors are still working. So in case of emergency...you might be OK with doing it yourself. I did not know that Tesla, mobile service could come out and fix a tire. It would have taken a long while to get there most likely and I had been up since 4:30 that day and just wanted to get home.

I am so thankful for the information above that you shared.

Attachments

• IMG_3019.jpeg
    IMG_3019.jpeg
    642.9 KB · Views: 122
I am 130# female an hour from Birmingham, Alabama and this happened. It was so noisy to drive I was afraid to leave it in. I went to an Advance auto that was open at 845 on a Saturday night and got a tire repair kit and 2 cans of air/ fix a flat. The high school kid closing the store was very nice, but couldn't help.I took out the nail and plugged it with every bit of force I could muster. Tire pressure dropped to 20 and both cans got it up to 27. I drove to the interstate and found a gas station with an air machine that took a credit card and finally made it home. My husband took it to the tire store next day. They said it looked great and didn't need to be replaced. That was 7500 miles ago. Tires now have 27500 miles on them and still look good. Tire pressure sensors are still working. So in case of emergency...you might be OK with doing it yourself. I did not know that Tesla, mobile service could come out and fix a tire. It would have taken a long while to get there most likely and I had been up since 4:30 that day and just wanted to get home.

I am so thankful for the information above that you shared.
Excellent, good job! A portable air compressor and tire plug kit should now be in your car for emergencies.

Reactions: dhrivnak
The bigger problem is with not having a spare, they also don't have a jack.
So it's all well and good to have a tire patch/puncture kit, but in many situations (rear tires especially) you cannot reach where you need to be able to repair it without removing the wheel first.
So it's simple to have the small patch kit in the trunk. It's not as practical to carry around a strong enough jack for our +2 ton cars.
I don't trust a standard scissor jack found in other cars to be able to safely lift a Tesla. (at least not my MS D)
I have a strong low profile jack in my garage that I could theoretically leave in my sub-trunk, but it alone weighs +50 lbs. So I'd be sacrificing a bit of range to do so. Maybe some are ok with that. To each their own. At that point, why not just get a spare to carry?