Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Model S be produced for $55K to qualify for federal tax credit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the Teslas except Model S qualify for the Federal EV tax credit, even the Cybertruck will get an $80K price and qualify.
For sedans the MSRP limit is $55K. Would the following be possible?
Tesla Model S RWD for $55K ($48K after federal EV tax credit)
290 mile range with much smaller battery pack
Single motor.
Coil suspension.

Tesla Model S Long Range AWD for $68K
400 mile range, dual motor, air suspension.
Didn't Tesla build a Model S with smaller battery and coil suspension and single motor from 2012 to 2017? Bring it back!
Buyers at $55K can choose between a slower S with large cargo space and luxury interior and hatchback, or a Model 3 Performance track car with basic interior and a trunk.

Just an idea. Not sure it's realistic at all.

S/X remain relatively complex and expensive to produce. For all the minor improvements they are manufactured more or less the same way they were a dozen years ago.

I don't think they could hit a $55k price target - that would also maintain a margin that would make it worth their while - without some serious compromise that most buyers wouldn't be interested in.

All the Teslas except Model S qualify for the Federal EV tax credit, even the Cybertruck will get an $80K price and qualify.
For sedans the MSRP limit is $55K. Would the following be possible?
Tesla Model S RWD for $55K ($48K after federal EV tax credit)
290 mile range with much smaller battery pack
Single motor.
Coil suspension.

Tesla Model S Long Range AWD for $68K
400 mile range, dual motor, air suspension.
Didn't Tesla build a Model S with smaller battery and coil suspension and single motor from 2012 to 2017? Bring it back!
Buyers at $55K can choose between a slower S with large cargo space and luxury interior and hatchback, or a Model 3 Performance track car with basic interior and a trunk.

Just an idea. Not sure it's realistic at all.
Increase its GVWR to 6000 lbs, and call it the Model Suv and they could sell it as an SUV, it would meet the IRS requirement for an SUV which requires a GVWR over 6000 lbs)... done.. add some extra batteries to increase the weight too.

The eligibility for tax incentives, such as the Section 179 deduction, for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 pounds or more is contingent upon several key criteria. First and foremost, the vehicle must have a GVWR of 6,000 pounds or higher

This is genius, more range, lower costs, and better platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: BPeter
Increase its GVWR to 6000 lbs, and call it the Model Suv and they could sell it as an SUV, it would meet the IRS requirement for an SUV which requires a GVWR over 6000 lbs)... done.. add some extra batteries to increase the weight too.

The eligibility for tax incentives, such as the Section 179 deduction, for vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 6,000 pounds or more is contingent upon several key criteria. First and foremost, the vehicle must have a GVWR of 6,000 pounds or higher

This is genius, more range, lower costs, and better platform.
This is what I was just thinking about. Make the S somehow able to be qualified as an SUV so under 80 gets the 7500 off. Adding weight or battery to get to 6k is a lot of change. I wonder why the Y counts as an SUV, a web search didn't answer the question.

I think there is some rule about 3 rows of seating. qualifies as an SUV... It's all BS, the domestic car lobby was trying to screw Tesla out of the incentive program and they changed pricing and the product to align with the government incentives. I should be much easier, if the car gets 120 eMPG, then it qualified regardless of what the hell the platform looks like. They should just slap some of those crappy fender flares on it like Subaru does and call it a Model Suv Outback...and crank the GVWR up to qualify. Maybe they could throw a removal battery pack that you just return once you buy the car, they charge you a core charge and you give it back post delivery for a refund.

Last edited:
I want stalks too, I actually prefer to drive my sons Y over my wife's X, for this exact reason... USS, MEH, only really matters to me on a X, don't see a lot of benefits in the S..
I just repeated a drive from the west coast to the midwest to see the family in my 10 year old S. It was fun but I'm not doing it again unless I get a longer range car, 400 miles sounds good to me; I decided going from 250 to about 400 is what I need more than anything else. I'd like to keep my free supercharging.

Reactions: byeLT4
I'm in the same boat, I been everywhere in our S's DC to Toronto, DC to Orlando, DC to Key West, DC to Nashville, I want the largest freaking battery I can get for both the range and the faster charging speeds. We kept our FUSC on my wife's X, which gets about 330 Miles the way she drives. The way I drive it I get about 280 miles.