Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone help me identify this electrical outlet type?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the type of electrical outlet my apartment building is providing for EV charging. I'm not the most knowledgeable about these things, but it doesn't look like a NEMA 14-50 or 14-30. Can someone identify this? Also, do you know if Tesla makes an adapter for this?

Thanks guys!

File_000.jpeg

Yes, that is a 6-50, as can be identified from the outlet pictures from any reference sites. Look at the position of the wide and narrow slots versus the ground.
NEMA connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As that other thread mentions, you can get an adapter from EVSEAdapters or other places to convert from the 6-50 plug to a 14-50 receptacle. Since they are both 50A outlets, that is a perfectly safe adaptation, and you will not need to do anything manually with the car. It will handle it normally.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and GSP
Doesn't Tesla have a valid HPWC wiring setup with only 3 wires? Assuming that is still the case, you could use the wiring for it to install a Tesla HPWC (the HPWC would need to have it's max amperage set appropriately to match). Another option, and something I use, is a J1772 L2 charger that can plug into a NEMA 6-50 outlet. This is nice if you want to be able to charge any electric car at a decent overnight rate without using a mobile charge cord. They are usually limited to maybe 30 amps 240 volts, but that is still fast enough for overnight charging. The GE Wattstation is one example of a J1772 charger that had (and may still have) a plug in version that plugs into a NEMA 6-50 (the GE Wattstation has been really good; my only minor complaint is that it does buzz a bit when charging).

With a J1772 charger you still need an adapter for a Tesla, but you don't have to drag out the whole UMC to charge.

That's my input, though only of interest if you don't want to have to futz with a mobile charge cord.

Doesn't Tesla have a valid HPWC wiring setup with only 3 wires? Assuming that is still the case, you could use the wiring for it to install a Tesla HPWC (the HPWC would need to have it's max amperage set appropriately to match). Another option, and something I use, is a J1772 L2 charger that can plug into a NEMA 6-50 outlet. This is nice if you want to be able to charge any electric car at a decent overnight rate without using a mobile charge cord. They are usually limited to maybe 30 amps 240 volts, but that is still fast enough for overnight charging. The GE Wattstation is one example of a J1772 charger that had (and may still have) a plug in version that plugs into a NEMA 6-50 (the GE Wattstation has been really good; my only minor complaint is that it does buzz a bit when charging).

With a J1772 charger you still need an adapter for a Tesla, but you don't have to drag out the whole UMC to charge.

That's my input, though only of interest if you don't want to have to futz with a mobile charge cord.

The HPWC doesn't use the neutral connection at all, so yes, it should safe and legal to install an HPWC in place of this outlet. (The UMC 14-50 adapter also does not use the neutral connection, even though is has a neutral prong.)

When Model S first came out, before the HPWCs were available, Tesla was recommending that owners who planned to install an HPWC should install a 6-50 receptacle to get going, because that wouldn't require running a neutral wire that would be later abandoned with the HPWC installation. They even included a 6-50 UMC adapter at no extra cost to those owners.

That's a cool idea. Saves me the effort to take the mobile one out of my trunk and back every time. Thanks!

Depends on what you are allowed to do there. You did say that outlet was provided by the apartment, so I don't know if you can change it. But if they are open to suggestion, yes, taking the outlet off and putting a J1772 wall charging unit would be much more helpful for everyone with an electric car to use it.

Depends on what you are allowed to do there. You did say that outlet was provided by the apartment, so I don't know if you can change it. But if they are open to suggestion, yes, taking the outlet off and putting a J1772 wall charging unit would be much more helpful for everyone with an electric car to use it.

I would bet, since the apartment complex provided it for EV charging, that they intend it to be replaced. I believe Tesla is the only manufacturer that included a portable L2 EVSE with their cars, and they don't even sell a 6-50 adapter any more. But the 6-50 is perfect way to terminate a circuit meant for a permanent EVSE, without actually providing an EVSE.

Really? That Conntek one is $86. It's the exact same thing as this, which EVSEAdapters has for $55.
NEMA 14-50R to 6-50P Adapter - EVSEadapters.com

Hmm, well I guess, first of all to answer your direct question:
- "Really?"
- Yes, really. This was in response to a direct OP question about adapter that would work with Tesla charging equipment. There was nothing about "find me the cheapest possible scenario". However, I'm quite sure OP is capable of performing an "extensive" search on the topic of price.
I did not realize this was a "find the cheapest solution" game, but I commend you for finding the time to look and endorse a less expensive solution. Responding to an innocent link with a valid solution in such manner, just baffles me.

Good luck!