Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can someone recommend a PEN fault detector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi-

I have a Tesla Model Y on order currently expected delivery in June.

I want to install home charging outside and am trying to prepare as much to minimize installation time/costs when I get the installation company in.

I've already bought a Gen 3 wall mount kit and have prelaid 6mm 3 core SWA cable from outside, under floorboards, to where the mains enters our house.

I understand it will also need a PEN fault detection device.

Can someone please recommend a good model to purchase?

Thanks

"Garo GK40 4NO" is what I have.

IMG_3542.jpg

I understand it will also need a PEN fault detection device

is your Sparky going to be happy to fit what you buy?

In general I find Sparky happy if I lay the cable, but quite often wants to supply any "kit", because then if it doesn't work its his problem, whereas if I buy something that doesn't work he has all the time and effort of figuring out it was my bit that was duff ... and will he get paid for that?!

Suggest you just square it with the installer before buying anything. It may well be that they will be happy - indeed, they may be happy for you to wire it all together and them just to do an inspection and final connect :)

Wondering if anyone has any comments to this (that sounds vaguely negative...)

"Your PEN fault detection device is the DUA55 to the left. It normally drives the GK40 contactor to close its relay so power is provided to the charger - with a fault, power to the GK40 is withdrawn and the contacts open which completely isolates the charger."

Wondering if anyone has any comments to this (that sounds vaguely negative...)

"Your PEN fault detection device is the DUA55 to the left. It normally drives the GK40 contactor to close its relay so power is provided to the charger - with a fault, power to the GK40 is withdrawn and the contacts open which completely isolates the charger."
None of these devices directly detect a PEN fault. Instead they monitor the voltage between line and neutral, and if it falls below 208V they'll open the contactor (which will isolate the line / neutral / earth) from the car.

I've a Gen 2 Tesla charger, and used one of these: EVSE Connection Centre with PEN Loss detection - IP65

I can see they've sold out (I don't know if this is -forever-) their choice of components work as the Garo above, detecting a pen fault and closing the contactor. I also ordered it with the 6mA DC detection.
I'm assuming there is something else hidden within the unit there as is nothing to provide indirect PEN detection/voltage monitoring that is visible - just a contactor and RCBO.

The Garo DUA55 pictured above or equivalent - in my case it is a Broyce Control LXCVR-EV.

1650538740999.png