TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can the Model S read texts from my phone?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ICUDoc, Nov 27, 2015.

1. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I'm surprised no one else seems to have mentioned this? My old car used to do it- very useful!
    But not the Tesla???

2. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

3. TesAus

TesAus Member

#3 TesAus, Nov 27, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    Yet....

Another function that needs to be thought about are the various traffic related apps that seem to be proliferating. This includes ones telling you the number of parking spots available etc. Trouble is you are not
    allowed to use your phone to access them unless you want to risk double demerit points.

4. Kayto

Kayto Member

I just hold the button on my iPhone and say 'read the text message to me'. It reads the message through the car speakers via Bluetooth. I guess by touching my phone I could get a fine, but it hasn't happened yet. I don't need to look at the phone. It's pretty easy to find the button by touch. Of course you can then reply to the text too, without needing to touch the phone.

5. gizmonty

gizmonty Member

If you have the phone plugged in to the USB chargers (or have an iPhone 6S) you can just say 'Hey Siri, read the message to me'.

6. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Nope, but Cortana (Windows Phone) will do it automatically, and allow you to dictate a reply, call back etc. without touching the phone. As mentioned above, Siri can also do it with a bit of prodding.

7. JeffS

JeffS Member

I use an app called ReadItToMe pro on Android. Works very well provided I have my phone connected as the audio device.

8. mhh

mhh Member

I use the "Hey Siri" function often to read me texts and emails. Also for dictating and sending texts on the move, especially when running late for meetings!

9. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Actually, all I wanted was the text to come up on the screen, not to be read aloud, but it looks like Model S does neither....
    Hey, Siri, I guess is next best option..