Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model Y tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 5,000 lb limit on the X is likely wheel/tire/suspension and cooling system related (the limit drops to 3500 lbs with the 22" performance tires). Given that the 3's development included track mode which addresses cooling, that solution should leverage. So with the right wheel/tire/suspension combination it shouldn't be a big challenge to get to 5,000 lb. Range, on the other hand, will be sharply limited at that weight, but the Y with a long-range pack shouldn't be any worse off than a P90D X (which is bigger and heavier and came with only slightly more than 75 kWh of useable capacity).

Reactions: Ulmo
Range, on the other hand, will be sharply limited at that weight,
The range reduction when towing is primarily due to the increased aerodynamic drag produced by what is being towed, not the weight of what is being towed. That’s why you can achieve a lower Wh/mi number with your Bowlus than I can with my significantly lighter Alto trailer; the shape of the Bowlus results in less drag.

I used to tow with my Prius. I have installed a tow hitch on both of my Model S, and I tow a trailer with them. Towing sensibly is the key, knowing your limits, etc. I would not tow a 4000 lb trailer with my S or the Prius, but my trailer weighs only about 350 lb.

If you want to tow something big, borrow your neighbor's truck, or rent one. Most people I know don't seem to tow much, maybe once or twice a year.

Reactions: jboy210
The range reduction when towing is primarily due to the increased aerodynamic drag produced by what is being towed, not the weight of what is being towed. That’s why you can achieve a lower Wh/mi number with your Bowlus than I can with my significantly lighter Alto trailer; the shape of the Bowlus results in less drag.
@ecarfan This is brings back memories!! Hope I didn't lead you astray and that you have enjoyed your Alto.

For the newer folks, here's a little graphic I made that emphasizes what might happen if you pull a "lightweight" but very boxy trailer behind your Model Y.

bigvsmall_towing-png.196203

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and GenSao
@Zoomit your contributions to the discussion a few years ago were very helpful to me and I’m sure others! My wife and I love our Alto trailer and find with careful planning that we can go almost anywhere we want. Love the new graphic you have come up with, could you please post it in the Model X thread at
Model X Travel Trailer Consumption Analysis where we had our discussion?
@ecarfan This is brings back memories!! Hope I didn't lead you astray and that you have enjoyed your Alto.

For the newer folks, here's a little graphic I made that emphasizes what might happen if you pull a "lightweight" but very boxy trailer behind your Model Y.

Telsa could do that and I don't see why it would matter as they have made people mad before. What the Model Y is pitted against? Is it the BMW X5 which has 6,000 lbs towing?
I’m at a campground in Arizona right now, and a few days ago had a neighbor using an X5 to tow his 19ft Airstream, which he said weighed 4,500 lbs. Still hard for me to wrap my head around a trailer that size weighing that much, just because I’m used to my 17ft Alto which weighs — fully loaded — less than 2,300 lbs.

The X5 seems like a reasonable comparison to the Model Y. Nevertheless, I am predicting that the Y towing specs will be slightly less than the X specs. It’s a slightly smaller vehicle with likely slightly less powerful motors. There is no reason for Tesla to spec the Y to tow more than the X.

• Informative
Your graphic very clearly makes the point the smaller car has to work harder to pull the trailer compared to the larger car. IIn regards to the Model Y, once we know its dimensions and CD we can make an estimate of how much additional energy it will use to tow a trailer compared to a Model X towing the same trailer. The analysis will be complicated by the fact that the motors in the Y are not the same as the X, but that should have only a small effect on the analysis. Then there is the issue of the Y having a smaller battery capacity than the X, but because it will likely have a lower Wh/mi usage at the same speed, that will help it.

I best most Model Y owners will be like me. The hitch attachment that came with my Tesla X is in the back of cabinet collecting dust. It is right next to the hitch attachment BMW gave me with my X3.
Indeed, but people buy based on what they think they need 2% of the time, not based on what they need 98% of the time. Ref: entire SUV and truck craze.

So many things go into a tow rating. For a manufacturer to offer a rating they must always be conservative.

After watching the history of the S never getting a factory rating, and even the mighty X requiring the air suspension to order the Tow package, it might be some time before you can get delivered a Y with Tow.

I don't think the motors are any problem. Saw a Model X pulling a Jumbo airliner and know they also use their cars to pull muck cars out of the boring company tunnels.

Tesla might, however, had some time with the Model 3 so that they could come out of the gate with a Model Y.

Let me think on this a bit. I should be able to give you a better answer by tomorrow night :)

Indeed, but people buy based on what they think they need 2% of the time, not based on what they need 98% of the time. Ref: entire SUV and truck craze.

Agreed. I have a neighbor that just bought a new Ford F350 crew cab Limited. They are retired and sold the travel trailer 4 years ago that they used the 5th wheel for on their old 350. The husband no longer drives, and wife cannot see over the dash without sitting on a cushion. But they sure like the sound the diesel makes when they drive to the store once a week.

• Informative
Towing is something that often comes upon you. I end up towing something with my X every year or so, and like the idea that I can use my personal vehicle to accomplish that.

Have towed Motorcycles, an 1100 lb. Golf Cart, some furniture and a trailer hitch mounted storage box.

Nice to have the option, especially with a SUV.

My X tows far better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Effortless is a good description.