Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can the Model Y tow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess the question is whether or not they designed it to have a hitch. Like actual mount points into the body to support one. CUV's may not be able tow huge loads, but I know I could use one. I currently use my CR-V for a utility trailer for Home Depot runs and to haul my motorcycle. Would definitely want to see a hitch and some approved value for towing, even if it's low, like 3000 lbs.

Suggest you search this forum for “towing” and you will see there is an existing thread at Can the Model Y tow?

The image you posted does not show any evidence of a “removable cutout plastic panel” as near as I can tell.

I think it very likely the Y will have a towing option, but last night Elon did not mention it and it is not shown in the specs at at the bottom of this page Model Y | Tesla

NOTE: The Model X specifications on the Tesla website also do not mention anything about towing, but the X can tow.

From the only rear image we have at the moment, there is obviously a removable cutout plastic panel for a tow hitch. Any speculations on towing capacity? Also, do you think a hitch will be included with the vehicle?

I disagree. The Tesla website does indicate Model X can tow. I don’t have the site in front of me right now but it specifies a different towing capacity depending on which size tires you choose.
And I stand corrected, thanks. At Model X | Tesla in the detailed spec list it states:

2” receiver for hitch-mounted bike and ski carriers, capable of towing 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels

But no mention of towing in the Model Y specs.

I very much want a Model Y but it has to tow for me to be able to replace my current SUV. There’s been lots of talk from Tesla and the community that the crossover SUV market is the biggest market in the US. Tesla/Elon has said they expect the Model Y may sell more than the Model 3. I would think towing capability is one of the factors that makes a crossover SUV so popular. If Tesla wants and expects the Model Y to be compelling and sell so well, I would think/hope they’ve considered that without towing capability, it’s not really a crossover and is just a larger car.

Battery, suspension, cooling, possibly other components.
Brakes, brakes, brakes! Yes, heavy trailers have their own brakes, but they can fail. I lost my trailer brakes heading downhill towing a racecar trailer through upstate NY. Not fun.

@ecarfan This is brings back memories!! Hope I didn't lead you astray and that you have enjoyed your Alto.

For the newer folks, here's a little graphic I made that emphasizes what might happen if you pull a "lightweight" but very boxy trailer behind your Model Y.

bigvsmall_towing-png.196203
Except that's not how aerodynamic drag works, unless you're talking about bricks on wheels. Cd(car) < Cd(car+trailer) < Cd(trailer)

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo