TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can the Model Y tow?

Discussion in 'Model Y' started by Phil Seastrand, Mar 8, 2019.

1. sreams

sreams Member

It's the weight. Towing a heavy load with a vehicle that weighs a lot less than that load is dangerous.

• Like x 1
  2. Smokkelaar

Smokkelaar Member

a long time ago, the tow hitch was promised for the model 3.
    It never came.....
    had some hopes for the model Y. because model X has also a tow hitch.
    let's buy a different car now.

3. Mtb109

Mtb109 Member

• Like x 1
  4. 11thIndian

11thIndian Member

It hasn’t been announced.

5. Brave Ulysses

Brave Ulysses Member

That’s obvious?

6. Mtb109

Mtb109 Member

What else would it be?

7. clyjr

clyjr Member

It's not obvious to me, with the quality of the image I don't see a cutout panel? If there is one, it's probably for a tow hitch, but I haven't seen anything indicating it comes with one and I have a bad feeling they aren't going to come with a hitch. I really hope I'm wrong...

8. kenta

kenta Member

I guess the question is whether or not they designed it to have a hitch. Like actual mount points into the body to support one. CUV's may not be able tow huge loads, but I know I could use one. I currently use my CR-V for a utility trailer for Home Depot runs and to haul my motorcycle. Would definitely want to see a hitch and some approved value for towing, even if it's low, like 3000 lbs.

9. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Suggest you search this forum for “towing” and you will see there is an existing thread at Can the Model Y tow?

The image you posted does not show any evidence of a “removable cutout plastic panel” as near as I can tell.

I think it very likely the Y will have a towing option, but last night Elon did not mention it and it is not shown in the specs at at the bottom of this page Model Y | Tesla

NOTE: The Model X specifications on the Tesla website also do not mention anything about towing, but the X can tow.

10. ecarfan

11. aadams1278

aadams1278 Member

I disagree. The Tesla website does indicate Model X can tow. I don’t have the site in front of me right now but it specifies a different towing capacity depending on which size tires you choose.

12. ecarfan

And I stand corrected, thanks. At Model X | Tesla in the detailed spec list it states:

2” receiver for hitch-mounted bike and ski carriers, capable of towing 5,000 pounds on 20” wheels or 3,500 pounds on 22” wheels

But no mention of towing in the Model Y specs.

13. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

Hardly any model y specs of any type so far.

14. aadams1278

aadams1278 Member

I very much want a Model Y but it has to tow for me to be able to replace my current SUV. There’s been lots of talk from Tesla and the community that the crossover SUV market is the biggest market in the US. Tesla/Elon has said they expect the Model Y may sell more than the Model 3. I would think towing capability is one of the factors that makes a crossover SUV so popular. If Tesla wants and expects the Model Y to be compelling and sell so well, I would think/hope they’ve considered that without towing capability, it’s not really a crossover and is just a larger car.

15. clyjr

clyjr Member

If you watch the video of the blue model Y driving you can clearly see the back side and I would say there is no removable panel unless it's underneath like on the X.

16. VikH

VikH Member

You can see a plastic cover on the rear bumper in this video @ 2:49 -

Code:
    https://youtu.be/ubCLbdm9DLY?t=169

• Informative x 2
  17. clyjr

clyjr Member

18. tga

tga Supporting Member

Brakes, brakes, brakes! Yes, heavy trailers have their own brakes, but they can fail. I lost my trailer brakes heading downhill towing a racecar trailer through upstate NY. Not fun.

Except that's not how aerodynamic drag works, unless you're talking about bricks on wheels. Cd(car) < Cd(car+trailer) < Cd(trailer)

• Informative x 1
  19. ecarfan

Hmm...I don’t see what you are describing. I think that if there is a removable plastic cover under the bumper it would not be visible from the angle that video was shot from.

20. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

You could definitely see a cut out that would infer that a tow package will become available.

• Like x 2