Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe the 2023 does not have Homelink built in. But it can be added either DIY or by Tesla.

FWIW, any HomeLink opener can be controlled by MyQ by installing an inexpensive adapter. Essentially, a device you stick on the ceiling or wall that simply simulates a clicker for the opener. It also incluudes a device to stick on the door so MyQ is aware of the door open/close position.

Adding such a device lets you open or close the door from anywhere for free and to check if open or closed. BUT that is via a free MyQ app on a phone. To use the Tesla MyQ interface requires a subscription. For me, the $45/year fee was worth it for the automatic open on arrival and close after leaving. When I enrolled, the service included the device to make a HomeLink opener compatible with MyQ for $1. My opener had MyQ built in but I still paid the extra $1 to get the device to use as a gift.

I did the MyQ trial, and didn't extend it after it expired.
The thing acted up like a 2 year old toddler. Sometimes it worked fine, but most of the time it would be in the "closing" state after leaving forever. It basically didn't realize that the door was closed.
On at least two occasions, it opened the garage door by itself when I was miles away. I was able to 100% verify that because I also have Ring sensors on my garage doors to indicate open / close and the history with times. So no thanks. Not working for me.

Reactions: ucmndd
I did the MyQ trial, and didn't extend it after it expired.
The thing acted up like a 2 year old toddler. Sometimes it worked fine, but most of the time it would be in the "closing" state after leaving forever. It basically didn't realize that the door was closed.
On at least two occasions, it opened the garage door by itself when I was miles away. I was able to 100% verify that because I also have Ring sensors on my garage doors to indicate open / close and the history with times. So no thanks. Not working for me.
Sounds like you either have a spotty wifi connection to your MyQ device, or it's not lined up properly. I've had MyQ for several years, prior to our owning our Y, and the only issue I've noticed is with short battery life. It's easy to change, though, now that I've done it several times. I also don't use auto close/open, as that seems like it would be annoying.

I just use the clicker - but instead of the sun visor, I have it velcroed to the front of the door pocket

Works fine and let's be honest, I generally only use the thing twice a day
I know it's a first world problem, but I like automatic opening feature when approaching. I also programed mine for my parent's and sister in law's garages (Max of 3). I bought the HomeLink kit from ebay and installed it myself. It was pretty easy DIY project.

Sounds like you either have a spotty wifi connection to your MyQ device, or it's not lined up properly. I've had MyQ for several years, prior to our owning our Y, and the only issue I've noticed is with short battery life. It's easy to change, though, now that I've done it several times. I also don't use auto close/open, as that seems like it would be annoying.
No spotty wifi connection, it's very strong in my garage.
I have the myq for years, never had to change a battery. Which battery are you referring to?
The car may have low cell reception as I drive away from the house, that could maybe be the issue in my case.

I’ve had similar issues. I paid for a one year subscription but probably won’t renew when it’s done and will switch back to homelink.

When it works, it works. But if anything happens even slightly out of the ordinary, the whole system goes brain dead.

Example: twice a year, right about now and a similar time in the late fall, the morning sun shines at a perfect angle where it makes the obstacle “beam” at the base of my garage door go nuts. If I try to close my door at the time of day when I typically leave the house, it won’t close because the sensor thinks something is in the way (even though it’s just the sun).

Minor inconvenience most of the time - I have to get out of the car and position my shadow over the door sensor while I close it with the keypad. But if the closure is initiated with MyQ the car freaks out and endlessly says “closing” with the flashing wifi beam pattern. It doesn’t detect the error and goes brain dead. It stays in this state for my entire drive to work (1 hour) and sometimes even after I’ve parked all day and start heading home. Have to reboot the MCU to get it to clear.

Not ideal or well thought through.

Example: twice a year, right about now and a similar time in the late fall, the morning sun shines at a perfect angle where it makes the obstacle “beam” at the base of my garage door go nuts. If I try to close my door at the time of day when I typically leave the house, it won’t close because the sensor thinks something is in the way (even though it’s just the sun).
No way is that an issue with MyQ. More than likely, it's an issue with the obstruction/safety sensors that work on infrared.

No way is that an issue with MyQ. More than likely, it's an issue with the obstruction/safety sensors that work on infrared.
Basically, I think his complaint is that issues with faulty openers cause problems for Teslas using MyQ but Teslas using HomeLink don't have unintended consequences from opener problems.

Personally, I make sure my opener is installed and working properly, so MyQ is the best choice for me. I disabled HomeLink in my opener to make it more hack proof.

I thought it worked the other way though: if the receiver was receiving the light beam it meant there was no child in the way so it was ok for the door to close. It was an obstruction to the beam that caused the door to reverse

And now I reread what you posted ... Interesting that the sun appears as an obstruction

i was using homeassistant with a raspberry pi that geofenced my MY LR and opened the garage when it got in the fence but of course myQ updated their API and broke the homeassistant link.. the constant battle has me going back to the old fashion remote with button.. car doesnt have enough buttons anyway

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
Where exactly did you velcro it? I am looking for a good spot.
Have a picture?
1705940944684.png

Reactions: flixden
No way is that an issue with MyQ.
Of course it is.

MyQ can’t handle the error condition where the garage door doesn’t close due to an obstruction and goes into a useless and dead state that is only resolved by a MCU reboot.

Doesn’t matter what the obstruction is from - sunlight or toddler skull. MyQ should be able to recognize that the obstruction sensor was triggered, that the door wasn’t closed, and gracefully try again.