Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can Y open garage door without myQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The garage door will open fine as long as you are connected by WIFI. The community gate will not open since it will not be part of the MyQ and it is also out of range from your WIFI unless you live right next to the gate and somehow you can hook it up to the gate (Unlikely)
I don't have a community gate. I do have a gate at the end of my driveway though, but it is in wifi range even though it's 150 yards away. I know this as my camera by the gate is on my 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. Can see how that could be an issue for some people though.

I don't have a community gate. I do have a gate at the end of my driveway though, but it is in wifi range even though it's 150 yards away. I know this as my camera by the gate is on my 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi network. Can see how that could be an issue for some people though.
As long as it is a gate within your property and connected by your MyQ System it will work. But any other gates like a community gate will not work.

I have had the exact same experience. I traded in my Model 3, which connected, I think via HomeLink, easily to open my garage door. When I got the Model Y it required MyQ to set up. My garage doors do have MyQ, but my router does not have enough 2.4G signal to reach the outer corner of the garage, so it won't connect. Even if I got it to work, after 30 days MyQ requires a subscription of $40/year just to use your garage door. I agree that this is ridiculous.
You can buy a Wi-Fi extender(pretty cheap these days) to solve your week signal problem.

I’m torn between getting Homelink installed by Tesla and the MyQ option. I do have an old opener without MyQ or wifi. Are either of these even options then? With full features?

Just confirming how these operate differently. Homelink essentially replaces the clicker and operates as it does by sending the RF signal. So, wifi signal does not matter and the opener isn’t controlled via wifi. Or does it?

MyQ operates via wifi from the house to the power and the car to the opener. No RF signal. So, wifi failures and issues = failure/issues with the opener.

I also will likely be replacing the opener within the next few years if not sooner. Is it easy to transition over to a new opener. The new one would certainly have wifi, if that matters.

Last edited:
I’m torn between getting Homelink installed by Tesla and the MyQ option. I do have an old opener without MyQ or wifi. Are either of these even options then? With full features?

Just confirming how these operate differently. Homelink essentially replaces the clicker and operates as it does by sending the RF signal. So, wifi signal does not matter and the opener isn’t controlled via wifi. Or does it?

MyQ operates via wifi from the house to the power and the car to the opener. No RF signal. So, wifi failures and issues = failure/issues with the opener.

I also will likely be replacing the opener within the next few years if not sooner. Is it easy to transition over to a new opener. The new one would certainly have wifi, if that matters.
HomeLink is universal so you can use many openers and it's free. Of course here for new Model Y, you need either to install the module by yourself or by Tesla so your model Y supports HomeLink. Then follow the instructions in the manual.

To use MyQ, the garage opener must support MyQ(so basically you have to buy one from LiftMaster, Chamberline which supports MyQ), Even some old LiftMaster, Chamberline Openers(without Wi-Fi support) do support MyQ trough MyQ hub(sold separately). Otherwise you can't use MyQ in Model Y. MyQ itself is free with the supported openers but in order to use it in Model Y, you need to pay(to Chamberline, not Tesla) for the service.

To setup the MyQ service in Tesla Mode Y, you need to do two things: 1. Setup your garage opener with MyQ app(the opener should have instructions). 2. Configure/pair your Model Y with your opener's MyQ service(See Tesla Manual).

Yes, the new supported openers usually are Wi-Fi based and can directly connect to your router, which is quite easy to install and setup(as long as the Wi-Fi signal is not bad). Configuring/pairing it with Model Y is also straightforward. The good part of MyQ service in Tesla is that once you set it up in your Model Y, it can automatically open/close the garage door when you are near/leaving the garage, no action is needed(of course, manually open/close also supported). Homelink on the other hand, I guess you need to press the button(on screen) to open/close garage door.

You can get a free universal MyQ hub and door sensor by just signing up for the free trial. They will email you a code, it will basically make any old garage door opener"smart" and wifi connected.

Reactions: KevinT3141

Install a MyQ hub and a door sensor and most older openers will work (I have an ancient Genie opener and it worked fine) The hub costs 20-40 bucks and it is easy to install. You will be required to subscribe to MyQ subscription for it to work with Tesla without the HomeLink. Thats $44 a year! The downside is it will not work without a reliable Wi-Fi and it only operates in the 2.4Ghz band. If you have a gate like a community entrance gate, MyQ will not work and you have to carry the corresponding clicker. If you are planning to keep your Tesla for the next 5-8 years I would recommend HomeLink as it works so much better. I have both HomeLink and MyQ installed but I do not pay the MyQ subscription. I use it to open garage door remotely or when I need to get in while working in the yard or when Tesla Mobile Service comes to my home to do service and I am at work, I simply open it using the MyQ. I bought a MyQ transmitter for about 15 bucks (On eBay or Amazon) and put a 2.4G extender in the garage (Another 15 bucks) to have a reliable Wi-Fi. This setup has pretty much solved all the problems and it is pretty nice when the community gate opens automatically as you turn into the complex and garage door opens when I pull in my drive way without lifting a finger!

MyQ also relies on connecting to Chamberlain's serves in the cloud. There was a nationwide outage not so long ago. So, there are a couple of failure points using MyQ. HomeLink is virtually foolproof, since the transmitter talks directly to the garage door opener. I had the Tesla HomeLink transmitter installed, and it has worked without any issues. And no subscription fees.

To use MyQ, the garage opener must support MyQ(so basically you have to buy one from LiftMaster, Chamberline which supports MyQ), Even some old LiftMaster, Chamberline Openers(without Wi-Fi support) do support MyQ trough MyQ hub(sold separately).
Just to clarify since some might interpret that to mean ONLY old Liftmaster, etc. brand openers can use the inexpensive MyQ adapter. That device should work with ANY brand Homelink opener since it just emulates a Homelink clicker.

I just use the garage door clicker. no extra cost, comes with the garage door opener.
I velcro it on the lower left behind the display panel.
no one sees it, easy for driver to access.

no fees. works every time, for garage and for community gate. in fact, it's got three buttons for use with whatever.

I played with MyQ and I've had HomeLink in the past.
Homelink works just like the remote control. so why pay more for it.
MyQ is good for remote access control for my neighbor or Amazon if I wish. The basic app costs nothing. I use it for remote control access.
But MyQ can be somewhat finicky for several reasons, not least power outtages and subsequent wifi loss (even with a Battery backup system). and it's another annual fee.

I just use the MyQ garage door hub for like $30 and i just use my remote control. It does the same thing and I don't have to fiddle with the garage door button on the screen.
There is no fiddling with the garage door button on the HomeLink with Tesla. It opens the garage door when you get within 50 FT of the door as it triggers automatically. Don't know about MyQ. I use it rarely but with my phone.

There is no fiddling with the garage door button on the HomeLink with Tesla. It opens the garage door when you get within 50 FT of the door as it triggers automatically. Don't know about MyQ. I use it rarely but with my phone.
I get it but i have my garage door opener attached to the backside of my Tesla screen so its not a big deal anyways. If people want to pay the fee then they can by all means do it. I already bought the MyQ garage hub years ago before I had a Tesla so its not a major inconvenience for me.

I just use the garage door clicker. no extra cost, comes with the garage door opener.
I velcro it on the lower left behind the display panel.
no one sees it, easy for driver to access.

no fees. works every time, for garage and for community gate. in fact, it's got three buttons for use with whatever.

I played with MyQ and I've had HomeLink in the past.
Homelink works just like the remote control. so why pay more for it.
MyQ is good for remote access control for my neighbor or Amazon if I wish. The basic app costs nothing. I use it for remote control access.
But MyQ can be somewhat finicky for several reasons, not least power outtages and subsequent wifi loss (even with a Battery backup system). and it's another annual fee.
I think HomeLink on Tesla is pretty cool. I am very happy I got it! For starters I can program up to 3 doors that can be opened automatically without lifting a finger. Its uber nice when you approach the gate or the garage door and it opens like you whispered "Open Sesame" . The clickers are so old fashioned and do not belong in a Tesla. I mean you paid 50 grand plus for your highly advanced EV and you wanna nickel and dime for a couple hundred? And carry clickers like the old geezers used to in their Buicks? LOL! Plus leaving the clickers in your car is a security risk. Thieves can easily break into your garage/house if they get hold of the clicker! No fees for the HomeLink once you have it installed. The community gates have their own clicker. You cannot program it to your clicker but you can to the HomeLink! Just my 2c

Reactions: Hellpops
I think HomeLink on Tesla is pretty cool. I am very happy I got it! For starters I can program up to 3 doors that can be opened automatically without lifting a finger. Its uber nice when you approach the gate or the garage door and it opens like you whispered "Open Sesame" . The clickers are so old fashioned and do not belong in a Tesla. I mean you paid 50 grand plus for your highly advanced EV and you wanna nickel and dime for a couple hundred? And carry clickers like the old geezers used to in their Buicks? LOL! Plus leaving the clickers in your car is a security risk. Thieves can easily break into your garage/house if they get hold of the clicker! No fees for the HomeLink once you have it installed. The community gates have their own clicker. You cannot program it to your clicker but you can to the HomeLink! Just my 2c
eye of the beholder. simple works for me. costs me nothing but a button press. clicker is hidden behind the display. no one thinks to look there.
not worth all the other layers of onion needing to be gone thru.
and the net result is the same - my gate and garage door open and close when needed.

Install a MyQ hub and a door sensor and most older openers will work (I have an ancient Genie opener and it worked fine) The hub costs 20-40 bucks and it is easy to install. You will be required to subscribe to MyQ subscription for it to work with Tesla without the HomeLink. Thats $44 a year! The downside is it will not work without a reliable Wi-Fi and it only operates in the 2.4Ghz band. If you have a gate like a community entrance gate, MyQ will not work and you have to carry the corresponding clicker. If you are planning to keep your Tesla for the next 5-8 years I would recommend HomeLink as it works so much better. I have both HomeLink and MyQ installed but I do not pay the MyQ subscription. I use it to open garage door remotely or when I need to get in while working in the yard or when Tesla Mobile Service comes to my home to do service and I am at work, I simply open it using the MyQ. I bought a MyQ transmitter for about 15 bucks (On eBay or Amazon) and put a 2.4G extender in the garage (Another 15 bucks) to have a reliable Wi-Fi. This setup has pretty much solved all the problems and it is pretty nice when the community gate opens automatically as you turn into the complex and garage door opens when I pull in my drive way without lifting a finger!
How do you get things to open automatically with MyQ without paying for the subscription?

MyQ also relies on connecting to Chamberlain's serves in the cloud. There was a nationwide outage not so long ago. So, there are a couple of failure points using MyQ. HomeLink is virtually foolproof, since the transmitter talks directly to the garage door opener. I had the Tesla HomeLink transmitter installed, and it has worked without any issues. And no subscription fees.
Is it easy to switch openers? We’ll likely get a new one in the next year.