Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you educate me about wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wheels

Aug 25, 2013
UK
I don't know much about wheels, I'd like to know more about them in general and on the Model S.

OK. So the car comes with wheels, 19" by default.

1)If I get more than 19, such as 21, what affect does this actually have? will it get more control? Will it give me more range(Gas too)? will it reduce range? Is it safer? Is it simply for aesthetics? to look nice?

2) can one opt to get 20" after purchase? I see that Tesla only offers 19 or 21. Is getting 20" even allowed? would it be the best of both worlds?

Thanks, if any more questions come to mind I'll be sure to post them.

The 21 inch wheels are noticably more expensive. I think they are more often a performance tire which is stickier for better traction. But just as you gain in traction you lose in tire life and range.

The changes are not great but if you autocross often get the 21 inch. If you want maximum range and lower cost get the 19. I would think the ride is softer with 19 inch tires as well as you have more air and sidewalls to soak up pot holes. But the larger sidewalls allow for more flex for less precise handling.

1)If I get more than 19, such as 21, what affect does this actually have? will it get more control? Will it give me more range(Gas too)? will it reduce range? Is it safer? Is it simply for aesthetics? to look nice?

21" wheels will improve the cornering forces on dry pavement at the expense of everything else, assuming all things are equal. However all things aren't usually equal, 21" tires have different tread compounds and casing construction so you'll get some of it back. 21" wheels are more susceptible to curb rash and pot hole damage. They also cost a lot more to replace and have to be replaced more frequently.

2) can one opt to get 20" after purchase? I see that Tesla only offers 19 or 21. Is getting 20" even allowed? would it be the best of both worlds?

Yes, you can get 20" tires and wheels. No, it's not the best of both worlds. You don't get the 21" performance nor do you get the 19" economy and robustness. You get a bit of each but not enough, in my opinion.

21" tires are 95% about looks. If you don't take the car to the track, you won't notice the performance difference in any reasonable normal driving unless you opt for the P85+ with its staggered tire sizes.

My recommendation if you take it to the track is to get the P85+ with the staggered 21" tires and wheels. Also get an extra set of 19" wheels. Use the 19" wheels for everything but track and wearing the tires down to where they will work for the track. (New tires have too much tread depth to be useful on the track unless you purchase DOT approved race tires.)

If you don't take it to the track:

1. If you are concerned about cost, get 19" tires and don't worry about it.

2. If you are not concerned about cost, get the 21" tires and don't worry about ti.

3. If you are concerned about cost but want to show the car with 21" wheels, get both but mostly use the 19" tires.

4. Regardless of 1-3, if you live where there is a winter get an extra set of 19" wheels and real snow tires--not the Pirelli tires that Tesla sells; they don't have a good winter reputation with Tesla owners. Don't even think about using 21" tires for winter.

Personally I think 21" look the best. There is an issue with Tesla from what I'm reading that they only last between 5K-7500 miles. That's way too low for normal wear of 21" wheels. Hoping Tesla will address this issue soon.

But, for me 21" is the way to go!

Larger wheel = shorter tire sidewall. Shorter sidewall means rougher ride, more road noise, more risk of damage due to potholes. It also means some improvements in high performance cornering maneuvers that most drivers will never attempt or be able to tell the difference.

I think the most important aspect of the 21 inch wheels have fewer tire choices. No snow tires, no Michelen Primacy MXM4s. Most 21 inch tires choices will be shorter life softer tread "ultra high performance summer" tires designed for lots of traction when it is warm.
Note that if you drive an "ultra high performance summer" tire year round in moderate climates your aggregate traction is probably worse than an all season. ( It will be better only when it is warm when you don't really need it, and worse when it is cold and you do )

The 21 inch wheels are noticably more expensive. I think they are more often a performance tire which is stickier for better traction. But just as you gain in traction you lose in tire life and range.

The changes are not great but if you autocross often get the 21 inch. If you want maximum range and lower cost get the 19. I would think the ride is softer with 19 inch tires as well as you have more air and sidewalls to soak up pot holes. But the larger sidewalls allow for more flex for less precise handling.

How long do regular 19 wheels last for? normal city driving, no racing or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

So what I have gathered so far is, 21 is pretty much for looks and for racing.

seeing as how I intend to use it for normal use, 19 is best.

Personally I think 21" look the best. There is an issue with Tesla from what I'm reading that they only last between 5K-7500 miles. That's way too low for normal wear of 21" wheels. Hoping Tesla will address this issue soon.

That was only a few people so far. Most are getting closer to 9-10k or even a little above it seems.

So what I have gathered so far is, 21 is pretty much for looks and for racing.

Proper racetrack competition tires ( R compound - super sticky ) usually come no bigger than 18 or 19 inch diameter. A quick search on the web finds nothing bigger than 19 inch.
A Model S with 19 inch wheels and R compound tires will destroy a Model S with 21 inch wheels and "ultra high performance summer" tires.
The tire makes way more difference than the size.

If you are serious about driving on the track you might put your poseur 21s on for street driving but then put 19s with real racing tires on for the track.

With great power comes great responsibility.

I think, or rather I know, tire life is directly proportional to how hard we push the car. If you were to drive like a Prius the tires would last quite a long time. But drive it like a Nascar and yes you will eat tires. The problem for me is it is so much fun and easy to drive hard.

This is hilarious. Pouser because why? Because u have 19"?

Because, as he clearly said, there are no racing tires for 21" wheels. If a 21" wheel was really superior to a 19" inch wheel when it comes to track driving, there would exist 21" racing tires. Hence, 21" wheels are alle about looks (just like tire guru jerry33 stated).

You can get 19" tires that are much better than anything you can find in a 21" tire and more options for that size too. They just don't make racing tires that big as far as I have seen. My car handles much better with sticky 19"s than the 21"s. I want to get a second set of 19"s w/ R compound for next year, can't wait!

20" wheels look good but are similar to 21" in tire choices. There are quite a few pics around here of 20's on S' if you search

Range is better with a 19 but maybe better with different tires even more so. haven't been able to see the difference in my 19"s vs 21"s in range because I only race on my 19" wheels

Last edited:
Because, as he clearly said, there are no racing tires for 21" wheels. If a 21" wheel was really superior to a 19" inch wheel when it comes to track driving, there would exist 21" racing tires. Hence, 21" wheels are alle about looks (just like tire guru jerry33 stated).

Who said anything about using a Tesla to race LOL. Haven't seen any on the F1 circuit.

19" vs 21" is about what looks better and what one wants. Who cares about 'racing performance'.

Hence the poseur comment. Did you find it derogatory? English is not my first langue so I'm a bit numb to all the subtility. When I translate it in my head it just means someone who wants to show off [that which in their opinion looks better].

Right and because one has 21" doesn't mean they are showing off--it's what they prefer. Hence not Pouser.

Anyways, who cares.

I'm busy reading why global warming doesn't exist.

Right and because one has 21" doesn't mean they are showing off--it's what they prefer. Hence not Pouser.

Anyways, who cares.

Great, so no hard feelings then. Everyone should get whatever they think looks best. Only point being if you get the 21" wheels - get them for the only real reason to get them: looks.

I'm busy reading why global warming doesn't exist.

Good luck with that :)

Larger wheel = shorter tire sidewall. Shorter sidewall means rougher ride, more road noise, more risk of damage due to potholes. It also means some improvements in high performance cornering maneuvers that most drivers will never attempt or be able to tell the difference.

I think the most important aspect of the 21 inch wheels have fewer tire choices. No snow tires, no Michelen Primacy MXM4s. Most 21 inch tires choices will be shorter life softer tread "ultra high performance summer" tires designed for lots of traction when it is warm.
Note that if you drive an "ultra high performance summer" tire year round in moderate climates your aggregate traction is probably worse than an all season. ( It will be better only when it is warm when you don't really need it, and worse when it is cold and you do )
I agree with most of this except for the part about a UHPS tire only being good in summer like conditions. It has been shown they are the best choice down to about 40 degrees whether it's wet or dry. Maybe we define "moderate" differently but AFAIK if you can afford 2 sets of wheels/tires then the best choice would be to get a set of UHPS and some dedicated winters. Of course, that's only if you actually get snow in the winter. :wink:

Cheers!