Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you purchase 2 extended warranties?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm approaching 50k on my 2016.5 model s and am looking into the extended warranty options. I was thinking of only buying the 2 year 25k option in case I trade in. If I don’t, does anyone know if I can purchase another 2 years after that one or do you have to buy the 4myear all at once?

Reactions: Bebop
I thought it was a condition of buying an extended warranty that your car has to be not more than four years old and have driven not more than 50,000 miles, at the time the extended warranty starts. My interpretation would be that this would bar you from taking out the second 2 year warranty.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
My understanding is that you can only buy the ESA once; regardless if it's the 2yr or 4yr.

The ESA is prorated refundable, *HOWEVER*, after prorated, any repairs you've had done using the ESA are subtracted from that.

In other words, you buy the 4yr ESA on 07/01/18 for $4,500. On 08/11/18 you have the MCU replaced under the ESA ($2700). On 09/23/18 the AC Compressor goes out, taking the DCDC Converter with it ($3800). On 11/01/18 you request a refund. The prorated refund is $4125. Subtract repair costs under ESA (4125 - 2700 - 3800) and you end-up at -$2375. No refund for you!