Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canada: World-class dunce in electrification of transportation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it come to electrification of transportation, if it wasn't for Quebec, Ontario and British Colombia, Canada would be standing last alongside Saudi Arabia and a few other such «modern» countries. Daniel Breton tallies Canada's record on the subject.

Not only Canada is dead last within the G20, even Estonia is doing more to the EV cause and industry.
Let's hope that the federal budget next month will be agressive enough to catch up ... EV transportation and renewable is the present and future and is full of opportunities ...

Any suggestions to improve Federal support to the EV cause?

Full post here:
CANADA: WORLD-CLASS DUNCE IN ELECTRIFICATION OF TRANSPORTATION

VÉvsPétrole.png

Not that I'm a fan (at all) of the new Federal government, but it seems a left wing party might be more inclined to invoke some sort of federal incentive. At least matching what the US is doing.

I agree that Feds will likely announce a national incentive. Which makes Ontario's EVIP "enhancements" even more concerning. We need to ensure that similar anti-Tesla policy is NOT replicated nationally.

I realize that but the population of Sask is about 1.1 million, the population of greater Toronto is over 6 million. And each day an average of 291,000 people ride the electric streetcars in Toronto.
Ah, "Who cares about anyone outside of Toronto?" And Torontonians wonder why everyone else hate them.

Mike is probably right. You could be sure that Stephen Harper not only took no interest in this, but worked to make sure his oil buddies profited at the expense of progress on alternative, sustainable fuels and the like.

Personally, I don't think it was anything that sinister. I just feel that Conservative governments aren't as amiable to things like green credits and EV incentives as a matter of principle.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that Feds will likely announce a national incentive. Which makes Ontario's EVIP "enhancements" even more concerning. We need to ensure that similar anti-Tesla policy is NOT replicated nationally.

If they just focus on an incentive for fuel switching and not on what car you do it in, that would be good. I'd be happy if they just matched the US tax credit of $7,500.

- - - Updated - - -

There's more to Canada than Toronto.

I'll probably get sanctioned for saying this, but after working in Toronto for decades, then moving out of the GTA, I was shocked at the level of disdain that exists even in Ontario about Toronto.

Personally, I don't think it was anything that sinister. I just feel that Conservative governments aren't as amiable to things like green credits and EV incentives as a matter of principle

Hmm, perhaps there would have been more money spent of EV charging by the previous conservative government if it was built under Gazebos .... (google harper gazebos if you didn't get the joke)

Really, they didn't mind throwing money around, it just depended on who was getting it, and what they offered in return.

Not that I'm a fan (at all) of the new Federal government, but it seems a left wing party might be more inclined to invoke some sort of federal incentive. At least matching what the US is doing.

Even a broken clock is right twice each day! :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'll probably get sanctioned for saying this, but after working in Toronto for decades, then moving out of the GTA, I was shocked at the level of disdain that exists even in Ontario about Toronto.

Yeah... the love that "rest of Ontario" folks have Toronto and Wynne is similar to the love felt for Coruscant and Vader. Except, I think, that Vader was considered to be a much more capable leader. :)

They are more social justice warrior than truly centre-left. Only $12 billion of the recently announced $113 billion in deficits over 5 years is on infrastructure for example. Despite the fact that they had campaigned on running small deficits to build infrastructure as stimulus. The CBC received 200 times more funding than VIA Rail. I really doubt they'll announce a national subsidy program. That's more to the right than they'd like. And if they do, it'll likely be gimped. And worse....provinces might cut their programs if a federal one happens.

If this government announces a subsidy program, they most definitely will cap rebates with thresholds. Every other subsidy or rebate or tax cut announced in the last budget was directed at lower income earners. Why would that trend change for an EV rebate program?

We probably aren't all that bad when it comes to electrification. Don't forget that Toronto has an extensive streetcar system that uses electricity.

There's more to Canada than Toronto.

I realize that but the population of Sask is about 1.1 million, the population of greater Toronto is over 6 million. And each day an average of 291,000 people ride the electric streetcars in Toronto.

Doubling transit usage in Toronto, for example, would do more to reduce emissions in a shorter period of time, than you could ever pull off in Saskatchewan. This may not be popular to say on a Tesla forum, but public transit is a lot more important than electrification of cars. GO Transit Electrified RER program will do more to cut emissions in the next 10-15 years than anything the federal government could do with EV rebates.

The biggest thing governments could do might not be rebates but legislative change. Imagine changing building codes to mandate 200A service to every new home, with 240 V outlets in the garage or strict rules requiring all new condos to have charging bays or charger outlets every two spots. Imagine, what a $100 million investment in charging stations would do. A substantial chunk to Tesla would see the Trans-Canada and every other major corridor covered in a few years.

The rebates are nice. But at Model 3 money, nobody needs a rebate to necessarily sway them. If the infastructure is there, they'll pick the Model 3 over a BMW 3, Lexus IS, Mercedes C or Audi A4, any time.

Last edited: