Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian CHAdeMO charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the first of the Ivy chargers at the On Route stations in Ontario are scheduled to come online on Feb 18th. It will be interesting to see what kind of charging speeds you get with a Tesla - I expect it'll be 50kW - but at least you won't need to bring your own adapter.

Looks like the first of the Ivy chargers at the On Route stations in Ontario are scheduled to come online on Feb 18th. It will be interesting to see what kind of charging speeds you get with a Tesla - I expect it'll be 50kW - but at least you won't need to bring your own adapter.

8 stalls (4 each direction) right near Brockville, which will be great, sadly, 50KW max, but hopefully CCS changes that shortly.

As we all know, Tesla CHAdeMO adapters are no longer being offered on the company's North American websites, and prices for new and used items are reaching absurd levels on eBay and Craigslist.

Q#1: Does anyone know if Asian CHAdeMO adapters with Tesla Proprietary plugs (originally offered in Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan) will work with North American CHAdeMO charging stations and Tesla cars?

Since the plug is correct (it's the same TPC standard we use here), I would think so. (Below is response to an inquiry I sent to the CHAdeMO Association about this.) Not completely clear, but I think that as long as the CHAdeMO inlet and the Tesla proprietary plug end are present, the internal architecture should be the same, correct? (Obviously, CHAdeMO adapters from Europe and Oceania will not work, because they use modified Type 2 ("Mennekes") ports/plugs for Models S & X, and CCS Combo 2 ports for Models 3 & Y.)

The reason I ask is that Tesla CHAdeMO adapters are still available at the South Korean Tesla website (South Korean CHAdeMO Adapter). The price is ₩445,000 (= $468.17 CAN).

(They are also available in Taiwan. But I'm not sure if CHAdeMO adapters on the Taiwan Tesla website actually come with TPC or Type 2 plugs. [You can't necessarily trust the photo.] Regardless, they are more expensive there. Tesla Japan no longer advertises CHAdeMO adapters on its website. I hear that they are available from Service Centers there upon request. Price unknown.)

I know that drivers in rural areas in North America still need these (now unavailable) Tesla adapters.

Q#2: Has anyone tried ordering from the Tesla South Korean website?

I wonder if that site will accept a North American account, and if the price of shipping across the Pacific is tolerable.

Q#3: Has anyone contacted South Korean TMC members, maybe through the TMC South Korean forum, and asked if someone would be willing to buy one (or more) and ship to North America?
(Using PayPal to pay in advance I did this for an item I wanted being sold only in Great Britain. Worked great.)​

I do not happen to need a CHAdeMO adapter myself, and can wait until Tesla releases a CCS1 adapter. (I had a 2020 CHAdeMO adapter, never used it, and sold it for the purchase price in 2021.) But I am sympathetic to those that could really use a CHAdeMO adapter right now, in areas without available Superchargers.

*****​

Re: Tesla adapter

Jan 24 at 1:08 AM

CHAdeMO Europe <[email protected]>
To:
xxx
Cc: CHAdeMO Europe <[email protected]>, [email protected] <[email protected]>

Dear xxx,

Thank you for writing to us.

Firstly, CHAdeMO inlet shape remains the same wherever you go. So you can use the CHAdeMO products (chargers and EVs) in Japan, South Korean, US and Canada. The interoperability and safety of CHAdeMO chargers are guaranteed by our established certification mechanism which is performed by the independent certification bodies.

That said, as Tesla's CHAdeMO adapter is developed by Tesla, we cannot answer to you on its behalf. The bes<sic> would be to wait for its response.

Hope this will be useful to you.

Best regards,

Mika
--
Secretariat
CHAdeMO Association Europe
Email: info@chademo.eu
Tel: +33 (0)6 95 12 21 62

I just borrowed the TOCO (Tesla Owners Club of Ontario) CHAdeMo adapter to take on our trip to Montreal, this weekend. HOLEE MOLEE, this sucker is one massive piece of tech. It's no wonder they cost so much!

Yes. The adapter is big, and along with high-voltage wires probably contains Tesla circuitry intended to protect car/driver.

CHAdeMO Adapter in use - 1Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter (w/TPC plug)Tesla CHAdeMO Adapter SocketTesla CHAdeMO Adapter Plug

Then too, a CHAdeMO nozzle/plug is pretty big.

CHAdeMO Adapter in use - 2CHAdeMO Charging HandleCHAdeMO Charging Plug

It will be nice to have a smaller CCS1 adapter, someday.

Wow. I haven't seen that technique before. It's clever, but it means that a Leaf or a 1st Gen Soul EV can't charge there because the CHAdeMO is permanently converted to Tesla. EVgo's technique is better because it changes the station to a 3 connector. However, it required Tesla's cooperation to put a long cable on the Tesla end of the adapter.

Wow. I haven't seen that technique before. It's clever, but it means that a Leaf or a 1st Gen Soul EV can't charge there because the CHAdeMO is permanently converted to Tesla. EVgo's technique is better because it changes the station to a 3 connector. However, it required Tesla's cooperation to put a long cable on the Tesla end of the adapter.
Only half the CHAdeMO connectors have the Tesla adapter installed.