Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Model 3 delivery estimates for new orders are already into June.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure thing. what are the rumours?
There was an update on the Canadian Tesla.com site that changed the curb weight from 1612 kg to 1745kg. This set off a wave of speculation that the LFE/ LFP Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries that have been rolled out in Europe/Asia are coming to Canada as the weight of the M3 SR+ with a LFP pack is 1745 kg. They are heavier per kw than NCA cells so the weight of the car goes up slightly for the same capacity, hence the weight change.

There were some early reports that the batteries charged slower, but that has been fixed via a software update, and a bonus is the cell life is much longer therefore you can charge to 100% frequently without significant degradation to the cells, so they removed the 90% normal and 100% trip from the charge meter in the car if you have a LFP pack. The change hasn't occurred in the US, so it looks like it may only be Canada in NA getting these packs. You might be the first on here to get one!

There is a lot of info out there people bashing the LFP packs, but personally since they fixed the charging rate via software, I think the small amount of extra weight being the only downside, and the bonus of 5x the life of NCA packs, and the 100% daily charge = more daily range, is a good trade off. The pack will outlive the car by far and don't have to worry as much about babying the battery, still don't want to drain it to 0% that is still bad.

What about the whole cold weather issue
From what I read the slow charging is part of the cold weather issue but it no different than the NCA packs, there is a German Youtube channel "nextmove" that did extensive testing, unless you speak German have to use subtitles, but they found that after the software update the charge rate was pretty much the same, and both cold NCA and LFP batteries are slow to charge and loose range. The quick drop in range reported by the car on LFP was essentially bad pack calibration due to the LFP's different voltage curve, when they measured the actual driving distance they got out of the pack it was as expected. The software update and charging to 100% seems to have fixed this, bad on Tesla for not fully testing the algorithms for the new packs, but it looks like it was just software not a pack issue. They did roll out an update which looks to have corrected this.

My apologies if it was covered earlier in this thread, but i have a question. I placed an order on monday, but it still shows estimated delivery 6-9 weeks on my page. How long till it gives me an actual date range?

From what I read the slow charging is part of the cold weather issue but it no different than the NCA packs, there is a German Youtube channel "nextmove" that did extensive testing, unless you speak German have to use subtitles, but they found that after the software update the charge rate was pretty much the same, and both cold NCA and LFP batteries are slow to charge and loose range. The quick drop in range reported by the car on LFP was essentially bad pack calibration due to the LFP's different voltage curve, when they measured the actual driving distance they got out of the pack it was as expected. The software update and charging to 100% seems to have fixed this, bad on Tesla for not fully testing the algorithms for the new packs, but it looks like it was just software not a pack issue. They did roll out an update which looks to have corrected this.
I believe having access to 100% outweighs the negative winter aspects of LFP. Just knowing that using the 100% isn’t going to damage the battery pack