Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Stores and Service Centers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with comments that important issues are handled fast. I had a control arm that was squeaking loudly, so an obvious potential risk and they told me to get it in the next day, returned my car within 24 hours. My S85 is also approaching 80,000 km soon so I wanted to get my 4th annual service appointment in before the odometer rolled over that critical number. I just booked it (back in October) for January, but I'll be absolutely sure to double check they have me confirmed, and confirmed for a loaner.

Side note - I have a nail in one of my all season tires (found it as I was changing over to winter tires myself). I need to get the tire plugged, and don't want to bother Tesla to do it. Is Canadian Tire trustable for this kind of thing?

I wouldn't take my car to Crappy Tires ;) It's ok to buy Toronto City garbage bags though...

Thanks for the reco on Kal Tires. Will consider them instead of SC in the spring when I get summer tires. Has anyone bought rims from them as well?

Regarding new SC, I heard from Lawrence that they are looking to have a location downtown T.O. or at the least some superchargers.

I haven't had a need to do any work at the Lawrence SC as my car is only 3 weeks old but I don't look forward to it based on the wait times I'm hearing! At least we have one in the city. I'd hate to be outside and drive in just for that. FrozenCanuck, do you head to Lawrence or Sauga?

I remember a few times Elon had spoke of something big changing in regards to service, but I don't think they ever did anything. My thought was always 24 hour or 24/7 service dept. If they could get the staffing for it, wouldn't this alleviate the service backlog, and in some areas reduce the need to build more service centres? Plus they could add a valet overnight servicing option where Tesla picks up your car from your home, does the work/servicing overnight, then drops it back off to your house, all while you are sleeping. They could charge a premium for this, which would help offset some of the additional labour cost for getting guys to work the graveyard shift.

I always wondered why the Fremont factory didn't run 24/7 as well. All manufacturing in my area runs 24/7, some even 24/7/365.

I remember a few times Elon had spoke of something big changing in regards to service, but I don't think they ever did anything. My thought was always 24 hour or 24/7 service dept. If they could get the staffing for it, wouldn't this alleviate the service backlog, and in some areas reduce the need to build more service centres? Plus they could add a valet overnight servicing option where Tesla picks up your car from your home, does the work/servicing overnight, then drops it back off to your house, all while you are sleeping. They could charge a premium for this, which would help offset some of the additional labour cost for getting guys to work the graveyard shift.

I always wondered why the Fremont factory didn't run 24/7 as well. All manufacturing in my area runs 24/7, some even 24/7/365.
They never suggested 24/7 service, but they DID promise FREE valet, which they've since reneged on. The "transforming service" promises have pretty much all been broken now. They include:
- $100 ranger regardless of distance
- Free valet service including replacing with a loaner
- Loaner vehicles which are always a Tesla, and always top end vehicles, which you have the option to trade up to if desired
- Service not being a profit centre (ok, we don't know that this is a broken promise, but with among the most expensive shop rates in the industry, it seems likely)

My experience is that a significant issue that prevents use of the car is treated seriously and they will fit in an appointment for such.

Agreed, with the caveat that there is a grey area here. When my drive train seized up they towed it and gave me an Enterprise loaner immediately.

When both left-hand door handles and windows failed, requiring me to crawl in from the passenger side, they couldn't get me in right away. Arguably the usability of the car was very severely degraded. I asked but they couldn't give me a loaner, even an Enterprise, until the car was actually in the shop. Them's the rules! Initially it was sounding like it might be weeks, but fortunately they managed to squeeze my car in by the following weekend, for which I am grateful.

I don't see how the current service infrastructure can handle the volume of cars in next year. Even today Toronto bookings is like a month away. I got a broken door handle and the earliest accommodation is almost a month away.

Toronto seems to be even more overloaded than Montreal. There's no doubt they have to massively step up their game for the Model 3 rollout. If history is any guide they will ramp up, but not quickly / soon enough, and there will be a big bottleneck initially.

I deliberately waited until they had 100,000 Model 3 orders before putting in my reservation. I want the dust to settle before I get it (production and service).

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
I like Kal Tire, but at this time of year, having them change over my wheels costs me at least 2 hours of my time - per vehicle. Changing them at home is a 1/2 hour job.

My Kal Tire is about 10 minutes away, and they'll do by appointment in about 20 minutes.

Having said that, I just swapped mine at home myself yesterday. Took me about 2 hours because I'm getting a bit slower in my old age.:eek:

I'd really like one of these lifts. Having the whole car off the ground would be a lot easier than going from corner to corner with my floor jack.

My Kal Tire is about 10 minutes away, and they'll do by appointment in about 20 minutes.

Having said that, I just swapped mine at home myself yesterday. Took me about 2 hours because I'm getting a bit slower in my old age.:eek:

I'd really like one of these lifts. Having the whole car off the ground would be a lot easier than going from corner to corner with my floor jack.
Looks like a 5000 lb capacity with that lift so you can't have much in the trunk or your P100D would be too heavy for it. Curb weight for P100D is 4941 lbs.

Looks like a 5000 lb capacity with that lift so you can't have much in the trunk or your P100D would be too heavy for it. Curb weight for P100D is 4941 lbs.

I would NOT put a Model S on that lift. It's too close to the rated weight. I use a lift rated for 9,000 lbs and it quite comfortably lifts the car.

Maybe this 7,000 lb version then...

Agree, and I subtly suggested this to Tesla service as well. FWIW, Kal Tire charges $50 (free if you purchased from them) whereas I believe Tesla charges $75.

My local garage in Kanata charges $40 for the change, Before they changed the tires for me for the first time in 2014, they studied up to make certain they were doing it correctly, even to the point where they finish tightening the bolts by hand. I was very impressed and price is right and saves using the busy Tesla services.

even to the point where they finish tightening the bolts by hand.
If any tire shop does not finish tightening the bolts by hand, DO NOT allow them to touch your car ever again!

There is no possible reliable way to properly torque lug nuts without a manual torque wrench operated by hand. This isn't Tesla specific, this is all vehicles. Places that use a torque stick on an impact wrench are asking for trouble, and worse are places that don't even do that.

Reactions: Falkirk and Dax279
If any tire shop does not finish tightening the bolts by hand, DO NOT allow them to touch your car ever again!

There is no possible reliable way to properly torque lug nuts without a manual torque wrench operated by hand. This isn't Tesla specific, this is all vehicles. Places that use a torque stick on an impact wrench are asking for trouble, and worse are places that don't even do that.

Could not agree more and don't forget to go back and get them retorqued after about 50kms.

• Funny
Reactions: Forty Creek
Has Elon made any comments about the number of service centres that will be needed to manage the fleet a year or two from now? Seems like a tsunami of pain is on it's way unless they start actively working on this now.

I am not aware of any official word, but have to think Tesla is on it. As you say, if not it's going to be a world of hurt for Tesla and their customers.

Could not agree more and don't forget to go back and get them retorqued after about 50kms.

This is particularly important. I have a high quality, calibrated torque wrench and do it myself, but it should be done. Every time when I do it after a few miles, each nut will actually turn a hair before reaching the torque setting.

My Kal Tire leaves a note reminding you to come back and have them do it for free (but as I say, I do it myself).