Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but remember this is from KEDCO, not Tesla. They may just not want to speak for Tesla, and they aren't really in control of the construction schedule.

Trying hard to be optimistic here...

KEDCO told me 8 stalls and should be running by September. I also recently called city planning to see if any permits were in the works and they had no idea what I was talking about. The rep at the utility company that I was referred to from city planning also had no information. :{

I drive by and check every few weeks. I will post ASAP if I see anything going on. Even a proposal sign would be great at this point.

Yeah, I don't know whether Tesla is running into regulatory problems, or whether we're just the forgotten bastard child of the network. I mean for Pete's sake they already have Superchargers in China, and they just started delivering a few days ago. I've been driving my Model S for a year and a half and it's never been plugged into a Supercharger.

Yeah, I don't know whether Tesla is running into regulatory problems, or whether we're just the forgotten bastard child of the network. I mean for Pete's sake they already have Superchargers in China, and they just started delivering a few days ago. I've been driving my Model S for a year and a half and it's never been plugged into a Supercharger.

That's exactly my concern. I commented on the China supercharger announcement on Facebook or Instagram saying the exact same thing. We have hundreds of Teslas in Canada with 0 supercharger, while China has a few with at least one supercharger right away! I don't think they have regulatory issues. Why would they have issues in Canada but not in China?

I was told by someone at Tesla that they are coming on line "waaaaaay sooner than people think". Kingston, Cornwall, Toronto service centre and Drummondville were called out specifically. West if Toronto is in next after they fill in Toronto/Montreal.

I agree that the most frustrating thing is the lack of communication and transparency.

I've been hunting online for permits in those jurisdictions. Nada. A few permits for the service centre/stores in Toronto, though.

I really have to think this is a red tape issue. There can't be any other reason.

As Doug mentioned a couple posts before yours, there is another reason. Canada just isn't a priority for Tesla.

China is getting pushed through because the sales potential there is greater than anywhere else on the planet.

Norway got prioritized because the EV incentives there make them a good fit for Teslas.

Canada has neither the population nor the incentives to convince Tesla to make a big push here.

Now, I hope I'm misjudging them but it's not really looking like it. If Tesla was really serious about Supercharger build-out in Canada, they would not be using winter as an excuse for delaying construction.

Thank God my wife is not into forums. If she reads this thread I will be screwed LOL.
When I was justifying buying the Tesla, the first thing she asked: Can we drive to Toronto or Niagara Falls easily? or do we have to spend 2 nights charging?
And my answer was: Of course, honey! By the time we get the car, the superchargers will be all over the place :rolleyes:. It's been 3 weeks only and I'm getting impatient... You guys are heros! :biggrin:

Thank God my wife is not into forums. If she reads this thread I will be screwed LOL.
When I was justifying buying the Tesla, the first thing she asked: Can we drive to Toronto or Niagara Falls easily? or do we have to spend 2 nights charging?
And my answer was: Of course, honey! By the time we get the car, the superchargers will be all over the place :rolleyes:. It's been 3 weeks only and I'm getting impatient... You guys are heros! :biggrin:

I made the same sales pitch. :)

Canada has neither the population nor the incentives to convince Tesla to make a big push here.

The party that just left office was in favor of enacting a CARB-ZEV law that would have given Tesla plenty of incentive to boost sales in Quebec. It remains to be seen what the back-in-power liberal party will do along these lines.

Currently, Quebec is offering a $20,000 rebate on EV purchases for taxis. (The standard $8,000 rebate, + a $12,000 taxi incentive from a separate Ministry.) If SCs were installed in Montreal and Quebec City, you would see huge ordering from taxi drivers. tbh, just the availability of 40kW CHAdeMO would be enough to convince additional drivers to go Tesla. Besides the adapter not being available, there are no or few plans to offer CHAdeMO in Quebec cities, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.