Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, and there were once nine installations planned for Ontario, though that has since been pruned down to six. Where B&V does has offices (BC, Alberta, and Ontario) there appears to be a bit better SpC coverage than where they do not (particularly in Quebec).

I agree with Riverbrick, although someone at the Laval SC told me that there are "several more" Quebec SpCs in the works than what is on the map (I'll take that with a pound of salt, but who knows).

The relative paucity of SpCs seems to affect especially the northeast US states (and eastern canadian provinces), despite their heavy population density and high traffic corridors. :confused:

I did see that an announcement for a completely new private network of DC fast charging stations (Chademo / CCS combo) in Quebec is apparently coming soon (before the autumn !). May have to get that oft-delayed adapter after all... Link (in french) here.

I am not discussing the order of bringing the planned sites online. I am discussing the geographical distribution of SpCs as they appear on the end of 2015 map.

As for proximity to actual buyers, it's doubtful that there are seven times as many owners in BC + Alberta as there are in Quebec + the Atlantic provinces, yet that is what the ratio of SpC installations is. So, if you can rightfully argue that more SpC installations are warranted for BC, I can certainly ask why the Trans-Canadian highway isn't serviced East of Drummondville. It is true that many Washington owners will use SpCs in Western Canada, but the Atlantic Provinces and Quebec get lots of visitors from New York and New England.

Very true, Québec city should have a SC: at least for the Québec's Tesla owners and the ones that pass by Québec city to go let's say to Rimouski or a little bit further on the east side... after that Tesla owners can manage with the Sun Country Highway chargers (which are mostly located to hotels where tourists would go anyways)... but I really think that Québec city should be on the map...

Yep I'm maybe biased because I come from the east part of Québec but let's not forget that Québec city and east part of Province of Québec is really touristic... (both Canadians and Americans)

My today's 2 cents

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with Riverbrick, although someone at the Laval SC told me that there are "several more" Quebec SpCs in the works than what is on the map (I'll take that with a pound of salt, but who knows).

The relative paucity of SpCs seems to affect especially the northeast US states (and eastern canadian provinces), despite their heavy population density and high traffic corridors. :confused:

I did see that an announcement for a completely new private network of DC fast charging stations (Chademo / CCS combo) in Quebec is apparently coming soon (before the autumn !). May have to get that oft-delayed adapter after all... Link (in french) here.

You know what? Even if the guys from Laval are saying that they're not «sellers», that they don't have to push for selling I just smile at it... a car seller WILL ALWAYS be a car seller, even with Tesla... I'm with you on that by saying that I take it with a pound of salt, hope it's true that they will expand the SC for Province of Québec but I doubt it... I just think they are using it to help the sales...

The only way to expand SC in Québec will be US to PUSH for new locations further down the road... you saw how difficult it was to get our first Canadian SC? Even more difficult to get our first Alberta & Québec SC!!!

As for the DC fast chargers in Québec? you can dream forever here is an answer that I got from Circuit Électrique / Hydro-Québec (after saying that their «Projet Pilote» of putting charging stations on streets was just ridiculously greedy by charging us 1$/hour of charge + 3$/hour for the parking fees...) last week (see the part that I underlined, they just don't give a s*** about Tesla owners):

By the way, for the ones that would like a translation, let me know...

Bonjour M. XXX,
voici la réponse obtenue de la part d'Hydro-Québec:
Bonjour M. XXX,
Merci pour votre intérêt pour le Circuit électrique.
Le Circuit électrique est le premier réseau de bornes de recharge publiques pour véhicules électriques du Québec et du Canada soutenant l’arrivée des véhicules électriques rechargeables au Québec , en permettant aux automobilistes de rouler l'esprit tranquille puisqu'ils ont la possibilité de se ravitailler si nécessaire sur leur route, en complément de la majorité des besoins de recharge comblés à la maison et au travail.
Les voitures Tesla représentent moins de 5% de l'ensemble des véhicules électriques rechargeables au Québec. Les chargeurs embarqués des autres véhicules électriques ne peuvent pas recevoir une recharge supérieure à 30 ampères. Le choix de la technologie des bornes de recharge a été fait en rapport avec la majorité des véhicules électriques disponibles au Québec.
Les bornes sont la propriété des partenaires du Circuit électrique. Les entreprises qui prennent la décision d'offrir à leur clientèle un service de recharge publique doivent non seulement acquérir une borne robuste et l'installer de façon sécuritaire, mais elles doivent également encourir des frais de gestion et de liens cellulaires, en plus d'acquitter les coûts de l'électricité utilisée. Ces entreprises sont fières de soutenir l'arrivée des véhicules rechargeables au Québec en offrant un service de recharge d'appoint à leurs conducteurs. Nous ne pouvons pas imposer aux partenaires de changer toutes leurs bornes installées.

Le tarif pour la recharge aux bornes sur rue du projet pilote de la ville de Montréal est de 1$/heure. Les frais de 3$/heure correspondent au tarif normal de stationnement dans l'arrondissement Ville-Marie, payable à Stationnement Montréal. Le stationnement sur rue vise à desservir le plus grand nombre de conducteurs pour une courte période de temps. Il ne s'agit pas d'un stationnement longue durée. C'est la raison pour laquelle letarif horaire incitera les utilisateurs à se déplacer dès qu'ils auront obtenu la recharge dont ils ont besoin. De plus, il s'agit d'un projet pilote au cours duquel nous déterminerons la nature et l'envergure des besoins liés à la recharge publique sur rue, et la tarification sera notamment un point à l'étude. Nous maintenons le tarif forfaitaire de 2,50$ sur l'ensemble des autres bornes 240 volts du Circuit électrique.

Le Circuit électrique offre une borne de recharge rapide à 400 volts et au cours de l'été, le gouvernement du Québec déploiera d'autres bornes de recharge rapide sur l'autoroute 40 entre Montréal et Québec.
Le gouvernement du Québec offre également des rabais à l'achat de véhicules électriques et des subventions aux entreprises désirant offrir la recharge en milieu de travail. Vous trouverez tous les détails de ces subventions et rabais sur ce site web :http://vehiculeselectriques.gouv.qc.ca/

Last edited:
... As for the DC fast chargers in Québec? you can dream forever here is an answer that I got from Circuit Électrique / Hydro-Québec (after saying that their «Projet Pilote» of putting charging stations on streets was just ridiculously greedy by charging us 1$/hour of charge + 3$/hour for the parking fees...) last week (see the part that I underlined, they just don't give a s*** about Tesla owners...

True about Hydro Québec, but the link I posted is for a new, privately-owned DC fast charging network, competition if you will. They also seem to have a short timeframe ("before autumn").

Obviously this could be a dud, or too expensive, etc... who knows?

IMHO any competition for charging stations is a good thing, especially if they understand the need for L3 chargers!

I'd vote for a S(p)C near Rimouski [altered by my next post---see below], although I doubt I'll see it in the foreseeable future. Interesting that the response you got talks about Route 40; I prefer taking 30 and 20 to Québec, but I'm not in Montréal, just avoiding it.

Then there's « Les voitures Tesla représentent moins de 5% de l'ensemble des véhicules électriques rechargeables au Québec. » There's your clue. They couldn't care less about Tesla. That problem will recur everywhere, especially if Tesla continues to build its own network of chargers, unless charging and connector standards merge.

Last edited:
Then there's « Les voitures Tesla représentent moins de 5% de l'ensemble des véhicules électriques rechargeables au Québec.

That stat is out-of-date. Actually, I'm surprised Hydro-Quebec still isn't using 2012 data to claim less than 1% of plug-ins on Quebec roads are made by Tesla. I would put the current figure at 6%-10%, to go up once Montreal gets a proper store. The H-Q spokesperson should also take into account that Teslas will make up a significant percentage of the EVs of people visiting the province.

There's no point in arguing with H-Q, though. They have a preferred provider that doesn't yet offer L2 stations other than 30 amps, so they're not going to change.

I'd vote for a S(p)C near Rimouski, although I doubt I'll see it in the foreseeable future. Interesting that the response you got talks about Route 40; I prefer taking 30 and 20 to Québec, but I'm not in Montréal, just avoiding it.

Then there's « Les voitures Tesla représentent moins de 5% de l'ensemble des véhicules électriques rechargeables au Québec. » There's your clue. They couldn't care less about Tesla. That problem will recur everywhere, especially if Tesla continues to build its own network of chargers, unless charging and connector standards merge.

Yep, Rimouski would be a great spot but what about Cacouna/Rivière-du-Loup (which is at the very end of the Highway 20)

Located at exactly 330 km from the next Drumm SC and exactly 205 km from Québec city... would be perfect for '85 and almost perfect for '60

Rimouski would be good but it would be a little stretch with our '85 Rated Range... (as Drumm - Rimouski is 436 km apart...)

As for you last comment, yes, it's exactly what I thought: Hydro-Québec couldn't care less about Tesla owners... hey we're in Québec! For sure we can't have the right to get «expensive» car while saving a part of the world! Kinda tired of that old mentality... When I read that part of their e-mail I just said to myself it's not even worth the penny to fight with them to better the system... Tesla will do it without them...

- - - Updated - - -

That stat is out-of-date. Actually, I'm surprised Hydro-Quebec still isn't using 2012 data to claim less than 1% of plug-ins on Quebec roads are made by Tesla. I would put the current figure at 6%-10%, to go up once Montreal gets a proper store. The H-Q spokesperson should also take into account that Teslas will make up a significant percentage of the EVs of people visiting the province.

There's no point in arguing with H-Q, though. They have a preferred provider that doesn't yet offer L2 stations other than 30 amps, so they're not going to change.

Right on... tourism will be a great part of EV's in the east part of the country but h-q will never admit it...

BTW, h-q doesn't count ChaDeMo chargers (Leafs/Mitsubishi) in it... obviously the number would increase way up from their meagre 5%...

Bottom line: we have to still put pressure on Tesla and not wasting our time on hydro-quebec or others if we want top notch chargers...

True that S(p)Cs should be spaced apart properly. I should have looked at a map more closely . . . because of Drummondville, Rivière-du-Loup seems better than Rimouski. (May placement of Superchargers eventually depend on what other kinds of high-speed chargers exist along the way?)

But all this is still in dreamland. I can't imagine a Supercharger northeast of Drummondville in the near future.

BTW, h-q doesn't count ChaDeMo chargers (Leafs/Mitsubishi) in it... obviously the number would increase way up from their meager 5%...

OK, you were asking H-Q for CHAdeMO. I thought you were asking for 70-80 amps level 2.

It's obvious that Quebec is in desperate need of CHAdeMO, but deployment is delayed because the preferred provider's unit isn't ready for mass deployment yet. Originally, H-Q said all major routes would be covered by CHAdeMO by late 2012! Now it looks like late 2014 for one route, Montreal to Quebec City on highway 40. However, it's not a huge help to anyone a Model S traveling to Gaspesie, Bas St-Laurent, Charlevoix, etc, because the Easternmost station is about 70 km West of Quebec City, only 85 km East from the SpC in Drummondville.

They are supposed to be CHAdeMO stations covering Quebec City to Rimouski, but the time-table is 2015 or 2016.

OK, you were asking H-Q for CHAdeMO. I thought you were asking for 70-80 amps level 2.

It's obvious that Quebec is in desperate need of CHAdeMO, but deployment is delayed because the preferred provider's unit isn't ready for mass deployment yet. Originally, H-Q said all major routes would be covered by CHAdeMO by late 2012! Now it looks like late 2014 for one route, Montreal to Quebec City on highway 40. However, it's not a huge help to anyone a Model S traveling to Gaspesie, Bas St-Laurent, Charlevoix, etc, because the Easternmost station is about 70 km West of Quebec City, only 85 km East from the SpC in Drummondville.

They are supposed to be CHAdeMO stations covering Quebec City to Rimouski, but the time-table is 2015 or 2016.

What are you talking about??? Wasn't asking H-Q for CHAdeMO at all... don't really ********* about CHAdeMO (as soon as I discovered that it would cost me 1000$ to get a CHAdeMO adapter for my Tesla...)

Was just saying that the guy (or people at h-q) were just ignorant by telling that only 5% (Tesla) were requiring more than 30 amp charging... CHAdeMO is for sure requiring more than a 30 amp charging... so really the number isn't 5% but more than that if you count the EV that can use the CHAdeMO charging stations...

H-Q really don't know what they're talking about: CHAdeMO is about to be obsolete in Europe by 2018 because they will standardize CCS chargers instead of CHAdeMO's... what a lack of vision from them...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sun Country Highway chargers are pretty much useless unless you use them as an overnight charger at a Best Western.
You CANNOT compare SCH chargers with the Tesla SC. You are talking apples and oranges.
Frankly, my patience is waning very thin on waiting for these damned Superchargers to appear in Ontario and Quebec.
I was promised February 2014 and here we are almost August.
As others have pointed out, we are irrelevant to Tesla!

- - - Updated - - -

Worth a trip over the mountains, I think...

A Saskatchewan Model S owner heads to the west coast for the first time to try out Supercharging.

DJH_7887.jpg

Now I know what all the fuss is about!
DJH_7894.jpg

So....how soon can we get one in Saskatoon?

A Saskatchewan Model S owner heads to the west coast for the first time to try out Supercharging.
<snip>
Now I know what all the fuss is about!
I've been sooooooo spoiled on my current trip to California, Nevada, Arizona, and now the east coast. We stop for a bite to eat or a coffee/rest and the car's ready before we are. We are currently on our way back west and have to cut up from Eau Claire WI (last supercharger) to Winnipeg, and switch over to the Sun Country highway. The SC is great for travel in that its 90A and 100A chargers are waaay better than most Level 2's in the US, but ... the superchargers... arghghghgh I'm so spoiled.

Would a SC in Vernon fit the bill for the Okanagan? I know the owner of the new Fairfield Mariott there would be ecstatic to lend the required parking spaces to Tesla and the location is near lots of restaurants.
A Supercharger in Vernon would be rather close to Kamloops (117 km) and Revelstoke (147 km), and rather far from Hope (292 km). The Kelowna area is probably a better location based on distances from other Superchargers. I started a thread, "Omak Supercharger Proposal", in the Northwest forum to consider linking the Vancouver-Calgary Supercharger route with the I90 Supercharger route. Distances between locations are tabulated there.

I'm also thinking about how to connect Golden, BC to Coeur d'Alene, ID via Superchargers. Cranbrook is about half way (246 km from Golden and 254 km from Coeur d'Alene). That's okay with an 85 kWh vehicle in the summer, but perhaps not in the winter. Canmore to Cranbrook, via Hwy 93, is 303 km which is definitely too far in the winter. Probably need 2 Superchargers, say Radium Hot Springs/Invermere and Cranbrook. The advantage of Cranbrook is that it would serve Hwy 3 as well as Kalispell, MT (222 km), but the intersection of Hwy 3 and Hwy 95 (Curzon, BC) is a better split of the distance between Radium (212 km) and Coeur d'Alene (187 km).

I was going with the assumption that one would be added in Meritt so that we could have one on either side of both the connector and the Coquihalla. That route is hell in the winter and will be hard on the battery. Kelowna also seems like more of a destination to me and not quite the right spot for a SC. I'm not familiar with the other routes you mentioned so I can't comment on those accurately.

Would a SC in Vernon fit the bill for the Okanagan? I know the owner of the new Fairfield Mariott there would be ecstatic to lend the required parking spaces to Tesla and the location is near lots of restaurants.

Even if Tesla are not putting an SC there, I heard from someone in Canadian sales that Tesla might be willing to provide free super chargers to hotels that want them. I think this was targeted for Calgary but might apply to other places. Not as good as a SC but better than most other chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.