Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canadian Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And why would they do that when they could put in 90A Sun Country units and appeal to all EV owners and not just Tesla owners. (as Best Western has done in Ontario along the 401)

While it is true that 90A level-2 chargers can be used by all EV owners, the only car currently on the market that can make use of the power beyond 30A is the Tesla Model S with twin chargers. I have been puzzled by the push of these 90A Sun Country units instead of CHAdeMO chargers for this very reason. Ontario has only 2 CHAdeMO chargers and those are in the same city a few blocks from each other, but there are a lot of 90A chargers all over the province. There seems to be a disconnect between the car manufacturers and the charger manufacturers.

MiEV and Leaf cars can only use Level-2 chargers as a top-up while work or shopping mall, or for overnight charging, but these cars are simply not suitable for long-range trips without DC fast chargers due to the built-in charger's 3.3kW / 6.6kW limitation. Therefore the rapidly expanding level-2 charger network seems to me a huge waste of money and not really helping the EV adoption. They only serve the same purpose what can already be achived without them via home-charging: city-commute use.

Well first, just because 30A is a common limit today, doesn't mean it will stay that way. Deploying 90A chargers means ability to service vehicles now and in the future, without a lot of increased cost. Cost of an SCH40 is $1750, cost of an SCH100 is $2350 - from the Sun Country website. These are easy costs to absorb and justify for any private or public providers.

Compare that to a 50 kW Chademo station, which costs $16,000 or more, and it suddenly becomes a lot harder to be the property owner that installs charging to attract more customers. And installation costs will be much higher as charging current increases, owing to the bigger wiring and protection systems needed.

While it is true that 90A level-2 chargers can be used by all EV owners, the only car currently on the market that can make use of the power beyond 30A is the Tesla Model S with twin chargers.

Don't forget about the Roadster, which can also charge at high amp Level 2 stations. The high amp infrastructure that Sun Country Highway has installed across Canada makes road trips possible for both the Model S and Roadster, and is industry-standard to support other long-range EVs in the future. I'd rather see public destinations install a standard J1772 station instead of a proprietary Tesla HPWC.

I'd rather see public destinations install a standard J1772 station instead of a proprietary Tesla HPWC.

I agree, for sites that only offer one or two plugs. If someone is going to offer several stations, it might be best for them to have a few 30-amp J1772s and an HPWC or two. An example of this is the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. 4 ChargePoint 30a and one HPWC. (Though there are only four spaces for the five plugs and I've seen EVs parked there that aren't even charging).

I was in picking up a roof rack and was told that the (newish) Lawrence service center was going to undergo a large renovation starting in 2 weeks. Eli is the service manager now (a move from Transmere) and they are moving his and the other service rep offices to the back where the lunch room is. I rather suspect that they will put in the superchargers during that renovation. I was told that September is going to be 'very busy' for deliveries.

Bad charging news from Quebec... As of 6 weeks ago there is no Sun Country Highway employee in the province.

I hope they are able to hire someone, I would hate for product support / new developments to stop in the province for higher amperage stations, given the molasses speeds we are seeing from H-Q (and Tesla for the moment...).

Link here (in french).

geez... really bad news indeed...

Kelowna and invermere are two places I would love to see superchargers, though I could get away with destination charging in big-white instead of a supercharger in kelowna (to my knowledge there's no charging ability at big white, they don't even seem to have 110v available) For Invermere I'm sure I could use destination charging.

Guys
More news from my contact, seems promising. This is the response to an email and then a follow up email.

"We are pushing hard on Barrie (and Woodstock and Comber), as well - current estimated completion date is 9/12, but we expect to bring this in to late August. There will be some local government interaction in Barrie - 1-2 weeks for zoning and 1-2 weeks for building permits, so please feel free to reach out to any contacts you may have there."

"Thanks for reaching out again. Things are actually really picking up in Ontario (finally)!
Barring any major unforeseen circumstances, we will break ground in both Toronto and Cornwall this week with expected 3 - 4 weeks of construction - Toronto will be on the faster side. Kingston had a more complicated utility design that has gated our submission to the city, which is scheduled for the end of this week. They (the City of Kingston) have been supportive - if we see any issues arising in Kingston I will let you know asap."

I've been sooooooo spoiled on my current trip to California, Nevada, Arizona, and now the east coast. We stop for a bite to eat or a coffee/rest and the car's ready before we are. We are currently on our way back west and have to cut up from Eau Claire WI (last supercharger) to Winnipeg, and switch over to the Sun Country highway. The SC is great for travel in that its 90A and 100A chargers are waaay better than most Level 2's in the US, but ... the superchargers... arghghghgh I'm so spoiled.

That route is great. I took the leisure route (101) down and just drove back from Las Vegas in two days (2500km). I can only imagine how long it would have taken with Level 2 chargers. Vancouver to Edmonton took 30 hours. Las Vegas to Vancouver, more than twice the distance, was 38 hours including a 6 hour rest stop. Eleven Superchargers. It will be faster once a more direct route is covered. I loved seeing the occasional charge rate above 600km/hr. The slowest charger I used was at SpaceX in Hawthorne. I was only getting 109km/hr. Moving to another connection did the trick. I saw Elon's car parked out front, but security wouldn't let me get close. Photo is at Red Rock Canyon. I may have tested the top speed in that area.

Attachments

• teslavegas1.jpg
    teslavegas1.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
+ 1 David.

ZsoZso, after 3.5 years and almost 140,000 electric kms driven by my family, I consider your posts calling high amp Level II charging a "waste of money" and declaring that said charge stations don't "really help EV adoption" to be wildy incorrect...

Don't forget about the Roadster, which can also charge at high amp Level 2 stations. The high amp infrastructure that Sun Country Highway has installed across Canada makes road trips possible for both the Model S and Roadster, and is industry-standard to support other long-range EVs in the future. I'd rather see public destinations install a standard J1772 station instead of a proprietary Tesla HPWC.

Sorry if the answer if already in this thread, but has anyone heard about progress on the Red Deer SC? I was at the Vancouver service center (getting a new drive train) yesterday and they mentioned that Red Deer would be running soon. I'm assuming "soon" is relative to Kamloops, Revelstoke etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.