Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Canadian Trip Planning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rivière-du-loup: the Sun Country 240V(?) 72A charger is chugging along at 200V and 66A. It's been dialled back to 69 but never gets even that high.
Virtually every 'fully powered' Sun Country charger I encountered out east (Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia) was maxed out at 69 amps. My guess is that when they were originally installed they were deliberately dialled back for Tesla Roadsters. Could be wrong about that, but I think Roadsters are / were unable to plug into the 100 amp (delivering 80 amps) Sun Country chargers. When I drove the Cabot Trail a few weeks back, I was told in Cheticamp and Antigonish that I was the second car to ever charge at those locations since the chargers were installed over two years ago. They also said the 'other' electric car was a Roadster (I think it was the president of SCH).

The Clipper Creek CS-100, 80A stations I've seen are 70A by default, but have a button to enable 80A. As Forty Creek mentioned, some EVs have compatibility issues with the 80A setting, even if they are going to draw much less, for example the LEAF.

That said, the Sun Country units I've seen in Riviere-du-Loup and Rimouski are CS-90s, 70A max. I used to get the full 70A, but after a firmware update (5.11?) about a year ago, 69A has been the cap.

Though Sun Country says 72A, the theoretical max for a 90A circuit, I think 70A is the what the unit is set for. Just like you rarely see a 32A station on a 40A circuit.

Useful to know the limits, thank you both. Rimouski: the Sun Country 240V(?) 72A charger at Hôtel l'Empress maxes at 210V and 66A for me again (not 69). May be something wrong with my chargers.

All in all, the 5-hour trip from Isle d'Orléans to my destination takes 10 hours, with an hour for charging in Québec City and a lot more at the weaker charging stations. I'm not surprised.

Last edited:
Matane.jpg

The farthest east of my trip: two Tesla HPWCs at the Quality Inn and Suites, Matane QC. Available 24/7, doesn't matter whether you stay there. The one charging in the photo was steady at only 201 V and 71 A. I was there for three hours. The motel's manager, Yannick Thibault, is very welcoming and definitely a fan.

The sign says those parking spaces only for electric vehicles while charging, and others will be towed.

Last edited:
, I was told in Cheticamp and Antigonish that I was the second car to ever charge at those locations since the chargers were installed over two years ago. They also said the 'other' electric car was a Roadster (I think it was the president of SCH).
what terrible luck for me then because you were at the charger when I wanted to charge. what a coincidence!

The Clipper Creek CS-100, 80A stations I've seen are 70A by default, but have a button to enable 80A. As Forty Creek mentioned, some EVs have compatibility issues with the 80A setting, even if they are going to draw much less, for example the LEAF.

I have 2-SCH 100's at my office and here is something else to note: If you don't press the button to enable 80 amps quickly enough, the Model S will "see" the 70 amp pilot signal and set itself to 70 amps, and you won't get the full charge rate. In that case, you have to get back in the car and tap the charging amps back up. If you're quick enough hitting the button on the EVSE itself, you can avoid the extra step, but it's best to check the rate your car is charging at before walking away.

When I drove the Cabot Trail a few weeks back, I was told in Cheticamp ...
How was your 3G coverage when on the western half of Cape Breton Island? I have been there several times (I always fly rather than drive from the six), including last week, and this was the first time that my Rogers cell phone worked through the new Rogers-EXT network (which roams onto Bell) although you have to manually turn on data roaming if you want the data to work, which is kind of strange since you don't pay roaming fees for this data put probably just a technical issue since it not, technically, Rogers' network. I am wondering how data coverage worked for the car?

How was your 3G coverage when on the western half of Cape Breton Island?

There were several places where the 3G connection was lost. You are right, the west side of the island was the worst. It worked in Cheticamp but when we headed out that morning (we were going counter clockwise on the trail) Google maps stopped working for 30 minutes or so. At the top of the island on the road to Meat Cove it came and went for a bit as well. It also dropped in a few other places for short periods but I don't recall specifically where.

Just took my CPO Signature P85 from Mississauga to Little Current on Manitoulin Island this past week. The distance was around 525 km, and about 413 km from the Barrie Supercharger. After topping up to 100% in Barrie (took 40 minutes - man that last 10% is slooooow :)), I was able to make it to my Dad's driveway with 1 rated km left. I was sweating it a bit in the last hour, but read that 0 rated kms still had a few slow kms left in reserve and pushed my luck. My wife didn't trust me or the car so she drove and took our daughter separately. This was pretty much a perfect day, and I always went the speedlimit or below. The GPS always said 0 or -1/-2% on the range so I felt I could pull it off.

On the way back yesterday, it was really windy and wet. I took the same slow approach back, but very quickly I was -5% off the required range and my rated/projected range were about 10 kms off by just south of Sudbury. I knew I wasn't going to make it and didn't want to plug into a wall for 3 hours so I called ahead and went to the Sun Country charger in Parry Sound for a 80km top-up over lunch. Owner is very pleasant at the Inn there - he actually ICE's the spot himself and moves his car when people need it. He takes a $10 donation if you don't stay there which is fine with me. It was nice to drive normal speed and get to the Barrie Supercharger for a full speed recharge.

I know that everything I did is NOT a trip planning best practice at all, but I felt I read enough guides and had contingency planning for it to work - and it did. My wife doesn't buy into this whole EV thing, especially for long distance. I don't know about anyone else, but I could REALLY use that supercharger in Parry Sound or Sudbury!

CJ

My wife became a believer when we road tripped from Toronto to Owen Sound and back through Barrie supercharger the first day we had our CPO S85. She then agreed on a Toronto to NY and back trip two days later. Figured that we'd prove it to ourselves and never look at gas again. Fortunately, it worked. It's now her car, and gleefully commuting in my Smart Electric while she drives the Tesla daily.
Give it time...

The distance was around 525 km, and about 413 km from the Barrie Supercharger. After topping up to 100% in Barrie (took 40 minutes - man that last 10% is slooooow :)), I was able to make it to my Dad's driveway with 1 rated km left. I was sweating it a bit in the last hour, but read that 0 rated kms still had a few slow kms left in reserve and pushed my luck.

You do know you can't count on that, right? It might be 20 km left, it might be 0 km left. Lots of people have gotten stranded doing that.

Please don't plan a trip where you use 100% of the range of the car. Always leave at least a 10% margin! You just don't know when you'll hit adverse conditions, a detour, or whatever. Also bear in mind that your range is less in winter.

A plug for my road-tripping blogs:

The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Cold Weather Driving - Blogs

Someone out there might find this useful or interesting, so here's my report. Yesterday I traveled from Woodstock to Kingston non-stop. I was prepared to "top up" along the way if required, but I really didn't think it would be required. The initial estimate made by the "energy app" on the centre display, IIRC, was 7% remaining at destination. I ended up with 24% remaining.

Part of the secret here is that I attempted something which I believe no resident of or visitor to Ontario has ever attempted before: I set the cruise control for 100 km/h on the 401. :)

2H6A0636 copy.jpg

2H6A0637 copy.jpg

So that was 391.3 km, 57.1 kWh used = 146 Wh/km. Outside temperature varied between 26 and 30 C. Climate control was set for 19, and later 20.

Someone out there might find this useful or interesting, so here's my report. Yesterday I traveled from Woodstock to Kingston non-stop.
Your trip certainly demonstrates how slowing down can make an enormous difference. I'm also betting that you had some wind at your back. I typically see greater energy consumption travelling east to west on the 401 vs. the opposite.

After topping up to 100% in Barrie (took 40 minutes - man that last 10% is slooooow :))

From what SOC did you start charging? I have an A-pack which doesn't charge quite as fast, but it takes me well over an hour to go from about 30% to 100%. I had heard the real-world difference in Supercharging time between the early A-packs and newer batteries wasn't really significant. Sounds like it might be.

I was sweating it a bit in the last hour, but read that 0 rated kms still had a few slow kms left in reserve and pushed my luck.

Other have reported the car shutting down a bit before you hit zero. Depends on how accurately the car is calculating range based on your driving history.

From what SOC did you start charging? I have an A-pack which doesn't charge quite as fast, but it takes me well over an hour to go from about 30% to 100%. I had heard the real-world difference in Supercharging time between the early A-packs and newer batteries wasn't really significant. Sounds like it might be.

Other have reported the car shutting down a bit before you hit zero. Depends on how accurately the car is calculating range based on your driving history.

I was at 100% leaving Mississauga, and so at around 330 km/ 85% when I got to the Barrie SC. It was 40 minutes to get that 80 km or so back into the battery. Isn't that the expected taper for the top of the 'tank'?

PS I won't push my luck that way anymore. :) The 400/69/17 Hwy are pretty hilly which impacted estimated range significantly. My car was recently reset as it was wiped by the CPO program before I picked it up on July 4th, so it didn't have much history.

My apologies if this doesn't belong in this thread (I flipped a coin between here and the eastern Canada Supercharger thread). :)

My wife and I are considering getting a MS85D (okay, me more than my wife but I do need the WAF as I plan on staying married). We've had a couple of very successful test drives and she likes the car (but I love it). She's not sold on the fact that it's anything more than a daily commuter (i.e. not for longer trips). That said, it's a fair chunk of change to spend on something that's not a go-anywhere-you-want-when-you-want-kind-of-car.

Now for the ask, I would like some honest / balanced answers from the non-marketing, real day to day user kind of folks.

First, I was extremely disappointed to read that the Montreal SC only has a very small number of charging bays. We go there once ever 2 months or so and this will make "selling" the car to my wife more difficult. Has Tesla said when this situation might improve? I know there are other charging options available but anything much longer than the touted 40 minute stops won't help my case.

Second (and this is THE big one), every 2 or 3 weeks we drive from Ottawa to Fort Erie using the 407 for it's entire length to avoid as much Toronto traffic as possible. This is our normal route about 90% of the time. After doing some research (but before finding this forum), I was fairly confident when I told my wife that we could easily SC in Kingston and Toronto before getting to our destination. This is one more stop (Trenton) than our current trips but still sell-able. The concern here is that after reading some threads here I see people seem to have reservation about driving non-stop from Kingston SC to Toronto SC in adverse weather.

Is this really a concern in anything other than nice weather? We have, on occasion, driven in -20C (or colder!) blowing snow conditions.

Lastly, while speaking with some friends from Toronto yesterday, they casually observed (since we've told them about our plans for a tesla) that they had to drive by the Lawrence Ave. SC twice on Saturday (early afternoon and late evening) and both times appeared to have long lines of cars (with people milling about) waiting to be charged.

Anyone here with first hand experience at this charger in the late evenings Fridays and mid to late afternoon Sundays?

My plan was to push the "buy" button some time this week but I'm now having some serious reservations. Maybe waiting a year or two for better range on the car and /or more infrastructure would be the more prudent route for us?

Thanks in advance for any responses! This appears to be a fantastic forum!

My wife and I just travelled from Ottawa to Dwight Ontario with a stop in Toronto to visit my brother. July 15-19. We experienced a variety of situations at each supercharger we visited.

1. Kingston - Only us on Wed afternoon; 4-5 other cars (at different times) at 16:00-17:00 on Sunday afternoon

2. Toronto - Wed night. One other car was charging for only a short time when we arrived. For the majority of the time we were the only car there.
Sunday afternoon - we were only car there for majority of time we were there until a Tesla from New Jersey arrived.

3. Barrie- Thursday morning - 3 cars including U.S.; Sunday morning - only us.

Thanks for suggestions on this site about our trip to Dwight. We filled up fully at Barrie; travelled speed limit to Dwight; parked without charging for 3 nights and managed to return to Barrie SC without any concerns. By travelling at the speed limit we had KW/h at 160-170 range.

As Barrie SC is located in new parking lot, it is not easy to find accessible eating establishments. We did find that the Goodness Me organic supermarket has an Eatery in the back, which provides very good food options at a reasonable price. The only draw back is their "open" hours. The only other option is "Mackas" - Australian for MacDonalds.

- - - Updated - - -

Here some photos of SC in Toronto with no one there but us!Notice that down SC's were operational on Sunday.
image.jpg
image.jpg
plus Goodness Me hours at Barrie
image.jpg

Last edited: