Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canberra owners shoutout.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still struggling with the terminology... CCS/CHAdeMO/CCS? CCS2? I have a lot to learn about having an EV, not afraid to admit!
They're different DC charging plugs.

CCS2 is what your Model 3 has, and is the most common in Australia. CHAdeMO is what a Nissan LEAF or Mitsubishi iMIEV has. Most third party DC chargers here will offer both CCS2 and CHAdeMO.

CCS1 is far less common in this country and is definitely on the way out. I think there might only be two CCS1 chargers left in the country, one in Wollongong and one in Perth.

This illustration shows what they look like (along with the various AC charging standard - Type 2 / Mennekes is what your Model 3 has):

ac-dc-charging-800x494.jpg

Reactions: Gayle S
Still struggling with the terminology... CCS/CHAdeMO/CCS? CCS2? I have a lot to learn about having an EV, not afraid to admit!
CHAdeMO is a Japanese developed DC quick charging standard and translates to “Stop for Tea” which is sort of a marketing idea developed in the days of the original Nissan Leaf where a CHAdeMO could recharge you car in about the time you could stop for a cup of tea.
Initially this was the first and only DC quick charging standard until Tesla came along with Superchargers In the USA that used a proprietary plug and socket unique to North America.
For slower AC charging there was the J1772 plug in the USA and Japan now referred to as Type 1 and the Mennekes plug in Europe, now referred to as the Type 2.
In Europe, the International Engineers Association (IEA) were developing their own DC quick charging standard that eventually settled with a plug and socket the shape of the Type 2 with two large DC ports below the Type 2 ports; this is correctly referred to as CCS2, which stands for Combined Charging System 2.
Back in the USA, they did not want to change all the AC J1772 chargers so a second Combined Charging System plug was approved with the J1772 pattern and the same two DC ports below. This is referred to as CCS1 and uses all the same protocol as CCS2 just a different plug pattern.
The socket on all Australian Model 3 are CCS2.
Model S and X were finalised prior to the CCS standard being developed and Tesla uses a Type 2 shape plug for both AC and DC quick charging. The socket is unique in that the pins in the socket are longer so when a non Tesla uses the Type 2 shaped Supercharger plug the pins do not reach. That’s, why you will see twin cable Superchargers at many sites in Australia. Owners of Model S and X can purchase an adapter for both CCS 2 and CHAdeMO quick chargers.
The reason why there is so much confusion regarding required plug standards in Australia is because the Australian government has still not legislated a plug standard, and importers are simply following a recommendation by the Motor Traders Association to go with the Type 2 and CCS2 standard. Initially the first Electric cars to come to Australia were Japanese and equipped with J1772 and CHAdeMO sockets, for a while even European PHEVs were equipped with J1772 plugs and early BMW i3 came with CCS1 plugs for DC quick charging. This changed when the MTA made their non binding recommendation but even today a new Leaf comes with a Type 2 AC port and CHAdeMO quick charge port, so it’s still a bit of a mess.

Reactions: Vostok
Don't worry. This is stuff you shouldn't have to know. You have a Model 3. In Australia every Model 3 has the bog-standard charging plug.

Of all the orange dots (rapid DC chargers, which includes Tesla Superchargers) on PlugShare in the eastern states, there's only one you can't use. It just happens to be one of my go-to sites when I'm headed from Sutho Shire to Canberra & don't have enough charge to comfortably reach Goulburn. Hence I mentioned it. All the rest are fine.

That just leaves green dots (slower AC chargers) on PlugShare, where you'll probably need a cable or an adapter. If you even bother to use them. A Model 3 usually has plenty of range. Charging at home, plus DC chargers on road trips, are enough for most people. I'm a bit of an edge case there, at 119,442km since last March.

Last edited:
The rapid growth in the area is certainly showing signs of growing mainstream uptake. I think the moment we all stop talking to each other at the supercharger is the moment Tesla has become to mainstream, that's the tipping point 🤣.
For me it was when Tesla drivers stopped waving to each other. When I first got my Model 3 (Dec 2019) there was a bit of that in Sydney (although Model S/X owners often sniffily ignored us Model 3 plebs 🤣). But it didn’t take long before that stopped.

Although a few week back another Model 3 driver gave me the wave - the first one in yonks.

I almost always see another Model 3, if not a few of them, when I head out - even for short drives. They are becoming very common here.

In Europe, the International Engineers Association (IEA) were developing their own DC quick charging standard that eventually settled with a plug and socket the shape of the Type 2 with two large DC ports below the Type 2 ports; this is correctly referred to as CCS2, which stands for Combined Charging System 2.
Back in the USA, they did not want to change all the AC J1772 chargers so a second Combined Charging System plug was approved with the J1772 pattern and the same two DC ports below. This is referred to as CCS1 and uses all the same protocol as CCS2 just a different plug pattern.
There is another significant difference between CCS1 and CCS2 - the locking mechanism.

CCS1 retains the external latch used on J1772 to stop people removing the plug, which can be secured by using a small padlock through the hole in the latch. Which I expect no-one ever does.

CCS2 has mechanical locking inside the plug port, as does the Tesla proprietary plug. This happens automatically when the plug is inserted.

although Model S/X owners often sniffily ignored us Model 3 plebs
Yes clogging up 'our' chargers, adding that unsightly second cable to Superchargers!

Got a wave from a M3 owner at the Canberra Supercharger yesterday as he came out of McDonalds and left, then a couple drove in with a brand new blue M3, they hadn't supercharged before. They were standing there looking at the app so I went over and got them charging, followed by many questions about Tesla ownership.
They had been considering BMW's, VW's and the like but then took a M3 for a test drive, game over.

For me it was when Tesla drivers stopped waving to each other. When I first got my Model 3 (Dec 2019) there was a bit of that in Sydney (although Model S/X owners often sniffily ignored us Model 3 plebs 🤣). But it didn’t take long before that stopped.
Snooty Model S owner here.:rolleyes:
Tesla sightings used to be rare back in 2015, so much so that we even had a popular thread about sightings of any seen in the wild. In 2015 if you saw another Tesla owner mad waving would almost always happen, in 2016 it was a combo of mad waving or just a cool lifting of the hand off the wheel, by 2017 it was mainly just the cool acknowledgement wave until Model 3 started arriving in 2019. I waved back when the Model 3 owner waved, but many didn’t recognise a Model S as a Tesla in my experience so I largely stopped waving, that and the number of other Tesla sightings increased dramatically. Then Covid happened.
I think the number of Teslas on local roads probably means that the days of waving have passed, now all my friends who told me I was crazy to buy an electric car in 2014 are now seeking my approval over their choice of EV.

I give everyone a good wave, I don't like to discriminate 🤣. Mind you, I've been living rural for a while, the wave just becomes second nature. I don't believe I've had one tesla owner not wave back, and if they didn't, I would chase them until they do.
I have two other Model 3's in my suburb! One waves, the other chooses to ignore me (repeatedly!) feel like a dork waving to her now!

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok