Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canceling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, giving away my age here, but I stopped doing stop light races a couple of decades ago. You are very welcome to race ahead to the next red light. :p The responsiveness is way more important to me than such things because it can improve safety e.g. when passing or merging into traffic.
Feeling a little less sad now. :)

Nothing to do with street racing. I have places to go. I get there faster if I'm always in front of the line. Tesla is the perfect merging, passing and accident avoidance car. That's what instant torque does.

I have nothing to 'prove' to a Q5. I've had one, the 3.2 liter. It's just no match ever for a Tesla.

You value responsiveness but can't appreciate instant torque. That's a head scratcher honestly.

Well, giving away my age here, but I stopped doing stop light races a couple of decades ago. You are very welcome to race ahead to the next red light. :p The responsiveness is way more important to me than such things because it can improve safety e.g. when passing or merging into traffic.
I don't do street racing either. I just stay a touch in front of the car next to me through the intersection and beyond. It really doesn't feel like racing when it is quiet and smooth.

Reactions: dhrivnak

Oh not to worry, ignorance to how happy you would have been will be the only thing comforting you. You’ll pat yourself on the back when you find yourself lurking the internet for any bad news on Tesla to justify your decision. You just dumped the bespectacled girl with braces to go to prom with some “cool” girl that smokes (gasoline cigarettes for the sake of this analogy)... little did you know that the cool girl that smokes ends up with emphysema and a thyroid problem and serious halitosis..... and the bespectacled girl you dumped? Well, funny you should ask.... you just dumped Alicia Vikander.

There is always synthoid and mentos lighten the burden in the coming years. God speed sir.

... The only difference as far as I can tell is being able to trigger a lane change by using the turn signal, but I don't really see much value in that.

I rather like it. I was in the slow lane because with AP I was feeling relaxed and no need to pass, and then a whole line of cars appeared on an on ramp. I was able to change lanes into the fast lane to get out of their way, and then back to the slow lane when there was an opening, all without exiting AP.

... Is there a way to transfer addresses from a phone to the car's navigation system via the Tesla app?

I don't know the answer to that. Probably not. But voice command for navigation works great. I just say "Navigate to 1234 Bogmouth Street" and it does.

People cancelling their reservation really should think about it as this car is not like any other car. We have had our car for about nine months now. When getting other new cars the "newness" of the car wears off rather soon. My experience is that after about two months the car you are driving is same car you have driven before, nothing special.

Tesla is different. We are still looking forward in driving this car every day. This is rather strange. I notice this happening especially when new features come available with OTA software updates. It is just so much fun trying them out. Also the instant torque, "playing" with the owners of these RAM's and F150's - who think they are the king of the road - when traffic lights hit green is so much fun...

I had that "it's always new" feeling with my Zap Xebra. Every time I got in it it put a smile on my face. And the Roadster remained fun to drive from the day I got it until the day the Model 3 arrived.

However, I don't think it's productive to tell people how they should think about the car. In the end different people have different needs and priorities.

I like to floor it because I like the feel. And although it usually means just getting to the next red light sooner, maybe one time out of ten I make it through the next light just before it turns yellow.

Oh not to worry, ignorance to how happy you would have been will be the only thing comforting you. You’ll pat yourself on the back when you find yourself lurking the internet for any bad news on Tesla to justify your decision. You just dumped the bespectacled girl with braces to go to prom with some “cool” girl that smokes (gasoline cigarettes for the sake of this analogy)... little did you know that the cool girl that smokes ends up with emphysema and a thyroid problem and serious halitosis..... and the bespectacled girl you dumped? Well, funny you should ask.... you just dumped Alicia Vikander.

There is always synthoid and mentos lighten the burden in the coming years. God speed sir.

The above is extremely unfair and I disagree entirely. You have no call to put cella, who you do not know, into the category of people who look for excuses to bad-mouth Tesla. Cella has expressed sadness that the Model 3 does not meet her/his needs and openly stated what those are. Cella should be welcomed here as a person who admires what Tesla is doing and is perhaps waiting for them to build a car that works for her/him, just as a lot of people are waiting for AWD or the SR battery or cannot afford the price.

To clarify, I also used the EAP on a stretch of freeway with light traffic (driving close to the speed limit). I don't really see how it's better than what our Audi does with lane keep assist and traffic-aware cruise control. The only difference as far as I can tell is being able to trigger a lane change by using the turn signal, but I don't really see much value in that.
I use it for various things, including Spotify, the Podcast app, and also navigation. A big advantage over any inbuilt navigation system is that I can easily set addresses that I receive by text message or from another app as trip destinations with a single tap. Is there a way to transfer addresses from a phone to the car's navigation system via the Tesla app?

You can set destinations with a single tap on the Tesla, as long as it's a while in advance. It goes by way of the calendar - create an event in the phone with the location at the address, and the Tesla will automatically pop up the event when the time comes, with a link you hit that sends the navigation to the address - assuming you have the Tesla app active on the phone and set to sync the calendar.

I would definitely drive a Model 3 and then perhaps make a decision. Its understandable the vehicle isn't for everyone but once that small learning curb is overcome, you may not want to go back. Its hard to find a Model 3 to test drive but the time will come where it was as easy as the X and S.

I would definitely drive a Model 3 and then perhaps make a decision. Its understandable the vehicle isn't for everyone but once that small learning curb is overcome, you may not want to go back. Its hard to find a Model 3 to test drive but the time will come where it was as easy as the X and S.
Voice commands also help with avoiding to look at the screen. By the time your potential vehicle comes out, it will have a pretty good voice command system.

The above is extremely unfair and I disagree entirely. You have no call to put cella, who you do not know, into the category of people who look for excuses to bad-mouth Tesla. Cella has expressed sadness that the Model 3 does not meet her/his needs and openly stated what those are. Cella should be welcomed here as a person who admires what Tesla is doing and is perhaps waiting for them to build a car that works for her/him, just as a lot of people are waiting for AWD or the SR battery or cannot afford the price.

i wouldn’t have made the joke if it was a matter of not being able to afford it. Everyone else is fair game for ample teasing, especially when coming on TMC to take a play by play dump on the car as they walk away.

Especially when they are clearly making a mistake. That dude is making a mistake. I’ve made plenty of mistakes, we all do, and for cella, this is clearly the biggest :)

The truth should never make you angry.

Can be found on Turo. Generally overpriced, but given the $45k commitment it’s probably worth the investment.

Voice commands also help with avoiding to look at the screen. By the time your potential vehicle comes out, it will have a pretty good voice command system.

I’ve never really been a fan of voice commands. Typically use for the first week of new car ownership and then quit.

Model S does do well for navigation voice commands.

You can set destinations with a single tap on the Tesla, as long as it's a while in advance. It goes by way of the calendar - create an event in the phone with the location at the address, and the Tesla will automatically pop up the event when the time comes, with a link you hit that sends the navigation to the address - assuming you have the Tesla app active on the phone and set to sync the calendar.
That would probably help in some cases. Tesla has an opportunity here. On iOS, 3rd party apps can integrate with the Maps app, so you can either select an external app for routing to a destination, or you can send a destination to an app without even leaving Maps. If the Tesla app registered as a Maps extension, they could use these mechanisms to let the user easily hand over navigation from the phone to the inbuilt navigation system (assuming they have some kind of API to set navigation destinations remotely).

i wouldn’t have made the joke if it was a matter of not being able to afford it. Everyone else is fair game for ample teasing, especially when coming on TMC to take a play by play dump on the car as they walk away.

Especially when they are clearly making a mistake. That dude is making a mistake. I’ve made plenty of mistakes, we all do, and for cella, this is clearly the biggest :)

The truth should never make you angry.

It's fine to say you think she/he is making a mistake. But you went well beyond that when you predicted that she/he would now scour the internet for excuses to find things wrong with Tesla to justify the decision, and then equated a car-buying decision of someone whose circumstances you do not know with the shallowness of a high-schooler who chooses outward prettiness over character. Cella has expressed an intention to buy an EV some day, but feels this is not the time.

Again, fine if you feel Cella has made a mistake and fine to say so. But not fine at all to cast personal aspersions over a decision by someone you do not know to wait for a car more in line with his/her preferences.

I love this car, but I don't want anybody to buy it if they have misgivings or it does not suit their needs. Tesla will sell every Model 3 they can build for years to come. It's better if those cars go to people who are quite certain that its benefit outweighs its several documented flaws.

It seems the media is doing all they can to destroy Tesla,

It's been a tough couple of weeks.
The media continues to show the totally destroyed MS;
Apparently there is an enormous recall announced today?
an un-named "hedge fund" personality predicted Tesla will collapse soon .... FOX Business mentions that daily;
Also, this morning (FOX Business) a guest said Tesla is good at talking, but a poor manufacturer of automobiles.
And even this thread, many feel compelled to list all the reasons they are cancelling ..... do we care?

There are testimonials on this forum that would seem to dispute the above, but the media is not interested in success stories.
I know the initial roll-out was "spotty," but from what I read, things are coming together now.
I haven't studied the situation, but E. Musk seems to have created some of his own problems by talking too much, and many have interpreted his statements as promises. Another thread on this forum has a long discussion about "promises" and "estimates."

Again, I have not studied the facts, but based on what I read on this forum, I tend to feel that in one regard Tesla has over-extended themselves.
Roadster, S, X, C, Semi and now talk of a Y.
I'd like to see them out-shop a reasonable number of problem-free, vehicles before venturing into additional models. Too much reliance of Service Centers to correct manufacturing blemishes.

Any thoughts?

There are testimonials on this forum that would seem to dispute the above, but the media is not interested in success stories.
I know the initial roll-out was "spotty," but from what I read, things are coming together now.
I haven't studied the situation, but E. Musk seems to have created some of his own problems by talking too much, and many have interpreted his statements as promises. Another thread on this forum has a long discussion about "promises" and "estimates."

Again, I have not studied the facts, but based on what I read on this forum, I tend to feel that in one regard Tesla has over-extended themselves.
I'd like to see them out-shop a reasonable number of problem-free, vehicles before venturing into additional models. Too much reliance of Service Centers to correct manufacturing blemishes.

Any thoughts?
You forgot the flame throwers and Mars Colonization. All of this is yuge distraction to the task at hand. He does this to distract from the challenges of manufacturing, and set himself up for another capital raise. I can't imagine why the board of directors has not demanded a CEO that can stay focused on one company and one major task. Really is something to the adage: "Under promise and over deliver"

You forgot the flame throwers and Mars Colonization. All of this is yuge distraction to the task at hand. He does this to distract from the challenges of manufacturing, and set himself up for another capital raise. I can't imagine why the board of directors has not demanded a CEO that can stay focused on one company and one major task. Really is something to the adage: "Under promise and over deliver"

Elon Musk owns 27% of the stock of Tesla. Theoretically, a large enough voting block could kick him out. But realistically, that's not about to happen because a lot of us (I own a few shares) like him. For the most part, people who feel the way you do about him are not likely to buy shares in his companies, so he's got support among at least a big chunk of the shareholders.

Reactions: Stirfelt
It's fine to say you think she/he is making a mistake. But you went well beyond that when you predicted that she/he would now scour the internet for excuses to find things wrong with Tesla to justify the decision, and then equated a car-buying decision of someone whose circumstances you do not know with the shallowness of a high-schooler who chooses outward prettiness over character. Cella has expressed an intention to buy an EV some day, but feels this is not the time.

Again, fine if you feel Cella has made a mistake and fine to say so. But not fine at all to cast personal aspersions over a decision by someone you do not know to wait for a car more in line with his/her preferences.

I love this car, but I don't want anybody to buy it if they have misgivings or it does not suit their needs. Tesla will sell every Model 3 they can build for years to come. It's better if those cars go to people who are quite certain that its benefit outweighs its several documented flaws.
Ok ok, @cella, hopefully you know I’m just teasing you. Are you making a mistake? Definitely. Should you have your nose rubbed in it? A little. Can you change your mind? Yes, and you will thank me for the good natured teasing later.

• Disagree
Reactions: jkirkwood001

My god I’ve become a cyber bully. Melania would be so disappointed.

• Funny
Reactions: X Yes?
It seems the media is doing all they can to destroy Tesla,

It's been a tough couple of weeks.
The media continues to show the totally destroyed MS;
Apparently there is an enormous recall announced today?
an un-named "hedge fund" personality predicted Tesla will collapse soon .... FOX Business mentions that daily;
Also, this morning (FOX Business) a guest said Tesla is good at talking, but a poor manufacturer of automobiles.
And even this thread, many feel compelled to list all the reasons they are cancelling ..... do we care?

Any thoughts?

My thoughts are you sound really insecure and you've come to the right place to voice this thought since there are ridiculous number of hardcore Tesla fans here who would tell people to sell their grandmother if it meant it let them drive an EV.

Two things can seem diametrically opposed and yet both be true.

#1 Tesla is developing some of the most amazing automotive technology anybody has ever seen.

#2 Tesla is struggling to manufacture their new cars in anything marginally close to the numbers to they need in order to be successful long term and is having quality issues.

Every person needs to decide for themselves how comfortable they are spending $50K+ on a car from a company that may or may not be around in another few years. I would imagine, with the number of cars built, and the amount of IP that Tesla has, that even if they ended up going bankrupt someone would buy the carcass and continue to service the current owners for the foreseeable future. More than likely if/when that unfortunate event took place the company buying Tesla would be another automotive manufacturer.

Every person needs to decide for themselves how comfortable they are spending $50K+ on a car from a company that may or may not be around in another few years. I would imagine, with the number of cars built, and the amount of IP that Tesla has, that even if they ended up going bankrupt someone would buy the carcass and continue to service the current owners for the foreseeable future. More than likely if/when that unfortunate event took place the company buying Tesla would be another automotive manufacturer.
and....maybe Chinese.

Reactions: X Yes?