Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your wife wants an SUV, you're definitely getting one. Been there, done that, but I insisted on at least getting a hybrid one. Have you considered the Outlander PHEV or Highlander Hybrid?

We have two kids now and no SUV. The Model S doesn't have the passenger space of an SUV, but cargo capacity is huge. Took it on a camping trip last summer with lots of room to spare.
We did for a second, but that'd be too big for us. Our townhouse has a small, 1-car garage, and the Model 3 would be pushing it width-wise (though I was committed to making it work). Street parking isn't really an option given our neighborhood visitors' penchant for regularly hitting cars while parking. RDX and Q5 seem around the same external width of the 3. We test drove a Rav4 hybrid last year and hated it, plus it wouldn't fit 2 rear facing car seats.

My delusional side says we'll lease an ICE now and just wait for a Model Y, but given Tesla's history that'll probably be another nightmare. Especially without the federal tax credit as an incentive.

We did for a second, but that'd be too big for us. Our townhouse has a small, 1-car garage, and the Model 3 would be pushing it width-wise (though I was committed to making it work). Street parking isn't really an option given our neighborhood visitors' penchant for regularly hitting cars while parking. RDX and Q5 seem around the same external width of the 3. We test drove a Rav4 hybrid last year and hated it, plus it wouldn't fit 2 rear facing car seats.

My delusional side says we'll lease an ICE now and just wait for a Model Y, but given Tesla's history that'll probably be another nightmare. Especially without the federal tax credit as an incentive.
Prius V has huge interior space (larger than a Model S), plus sips fuel at 50 MPG (we have a 2013).
Robin

Reactions: 206er
I may have 400 posts but you don’t know anything about me and how long I have been waiting. Hint: It has been more than two years. The Tesla “family” is about to get bigger and just because I didn’t have an account before you doesn’t make my points invalid. This is off topic now so I’ll leave it at that.
Did you read my posts? I said the opposite about you and I didn’t say your feelings are not valid. I disagree with the conclusions but I think it’s a mistake to not get a 3. Imho .... waiting sucks though for sure

I have not read every post. I am sure many people are disappointed. I almost feel guilty for already taking delivery on 2 Model 3's. But I want to mention that the wait, even if it is many months later, once you drive your new Model 3 will all seem worth it. I have had a Model S for over 5 years and 80,000 miles. And yet every time I drive it, I am grinning with pleasure. We are lucky to have our two Model 3's, there just is no comparison to them and any other car short of a Model S or X. I recommend that nobody cancels their reservations. You might be pissed off now, but if you cancel, the months will pass, and as soon as you ride in some friend's Model 3, you will sh** in your pants that you had actually cancelled your chance at a Model 3.
I appreciate your sentiments, but I got to experience a Model 3 for over 2 hours. It was cool, but not enough to keep me from canceling today after this latest delay.

My newbie thoughts on the 3 are that the car is really good, but it isn't great. The interior felt slightly cheap (cloth headliner), the sound system and glass roof are amazing, it has a bit more room than I expected, and the instant torque was slightly less impressive than I had imagined (still better than any other EV in its class currently on the market).

In the end, my rational side decided that waiting for the $35k version of the car and risking my wife's escalating discontent just didn't seem worth it.

How did you cancel? I still can't get to my account at all. Gives an error on Tesla.com if you click on "Sign in".
Not sure what the problem might be, unless they are now being flooded with logins or cancellations.

I logged in, clicked Cancel, selected the Bank Account refund option, filled out the necessary info, and clicked Confirm (or whatever the confirmation button was labeled in the lower right corner). Says I should receive my refund within 3-7 business days.

Typical, Someone complains about the the fictitious subsidies to the oil industry but can't seem to figure out what they actually are. You can't say we need more EV credits to off set the oil industry credits if there are no oil credits.
Poking around Wikipedia shows interesting evidence:

Energy subsidies - Wikipedia

It shows the subsidies being there for fossil fuels, even if its not as big as renewables. Not saying its the /thread of the discussion, but its interesting datapoint.

Its working for me now. First time since last night, I'm able to get to the account and can request cancellation. I'm thinking they were trying to set up a cooling down period. Or they were flooded? I'm be surprised if that were the reason though.

Typical, Someone complains about the the fictitious subsidies to the oil industry but can't seem to figure out what they actually are. You can't say we need more EV credits to off set the oil industry credits if there are no oil credits.

It's the hidden environmental costs that go unaccounted in the price of gasoline cars and petroleum, making them cheap and encouraging their use, but leading to more pollution, health costs, taxes that will need to be paid for.

The "able to afford" has been a self-imposed budgetary restriction based on our personal financial plan, especially with kid #2 on the way.

You said the $35k ($27.5k after credit) Model 3 was the only Tesla you could afford, but the ICE SUVs you listed start at $36k, $41k, and $41.5k. The long-range Model 3 starts at $49k ($41.5k after credit), which is clearly within your budget.

Your wife wants an SUV. It’s okay. When it’s time for her next car (~5 years), there’ll be the Model Y and probably multiple other EV SUV options.

Reactions: Krugerrand
Has there ever been another case of any auto maker anywhere in the world only wanting to make their most expensive and profitable versions of a car, and refusing to make the base model?

I understand about Tesla wanting to become profitable, but that's their problem, don't make it an issue for me trying to get my $36K Model 3, base model with white paint.
Yes. But in Tesla's case they don't lie to you and say that it's available now, they are just "sold out"

really? If this isn't salt in the wound.

Tesla to reveal Model Y production plans in late 2018, says Elon Musk

I’m pretty excited about how we’re designing Model Y. It’s really taking a lot of lessons learned from Model 3 and saying how do we design something to be easy to manufacture instead of how to manufacture or difficult, really.” Elon

I suppose Elon is done with the Model 3.
Why? The next 1 1/2 years for the Model Y will be designing. How does that conflict with anything going on with the Model 3?

You know Apple is already working on the next iPhone before the current ones are released.

Reactions: tracksyde and Lem89
Poking around Wikipedia shows interesting evidence:

Energy subsidies - Wikipedia

It shows the subsidies being there for fossil fuels, even if its not as big as renewables. Not saying its the /thread of the discussion, but its interesting datapoint.

In year specified, 2013, the US had about $250 billion in known fossil fuel profits. It can never be truly known since privately held companies do not have to report. So the number could be much higher.

The article says $3.2 billion in subsidies. They do not specify whether they are including depreciation of assets.

I’ve been so very excited about the Model 3 to the degree that I took a day off work to stand in line on 3/31/16 and bought an interim used Leaf to get me through the delay gap when my last lease expired. This delay might do me in though. I don’t know if I want to drive around for another year in an old Leaf waiting for the eventual standard range model and I can’t afford long range and premium without putting me into an uncomfortable financial position.

Very disappointed.

Did you read my posts? I said the opposite about you and I didn’t say your feelings are not valid. I disagree with the conclusions but I think it’s a mistake to not get a 3. Imho .... waiting sucks though for sure

Hey Butter, I see you fighting the good fight and all, but seriously - just let these people go. I know lots of people who will be delighted to move ahead in line when the weak hands bow out. Tesla has demand out the door and around the block and down the street for miles - they'll be totally production limited essentially forever. In a few years the wait will be down to something more reasonable and then people who can't handle the wait won't have to. No need for anyone to suffer.

I know we like to see the EV community as a big kumbaya free love community but pioneers are going to catch a few arrows and some folks just aren't cut out for pioneering. Better to let those folks stay in the old country. It's not going to change the outcome of the migration and those of us along on the trip can get mighty tired of hearing the regular 'consumers' whining about how their Tahoe has ten cupholders in the back seat.