Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And it feels kind of liberating.

Elon's short term problems are no longer my concern, and we will get to see how competitive Tesla is when more EVs hit the market in 3 years.

Sad to say that we will likely be leasing an ICE SUV.
Sorry to see you go. But completely understand getting out of limbo. I’m sure your wife will be happy. In anycase, may I suggest that only people who cancel post here otherwise we get way off topic. Would love to see how people react to the latest news

Reactions: 206er
Honestly, a premium M3 without the tax credit is roughly the same cost as my base 2016 model S was with the tax break...and has numerous disadvantages compared to the MS, so the entire scene no longer makes sense to me.

It also has numerous advantages over a 2016 base Model S. Range. Handling. Ease of parking. Much more responsive touchscreen. More usable interior storage. Vanity mirrors. Etc.

Reactions: PaulJB and Dr. J
I have not read every post. I am sure many people are disappointed. I almost feel guilty for already taking delivery on 2 Model 3's. But I want to mention that the wait, even if it is many months later, once you drive your new Model 3 will all seem worth it. I have had a Model S for over 5 years and 80,000 miles. And yet every time I drive it, I am grinning with pleasure. We are lucky to have our two Model 3's, there just is no comparison to them and any other car short of a Model S or X. I recommend that nobody cancels their reservations. You might be pissed off now, but if you cancel, the months will pass, and as soon as you ride in some friend's Model 3, you will sh** in your pants that you had actually cancelled your chance at a Model 3.

Having spent over 2 hours with a 3 a few weeks ago, I will say that it’s a great car. However, it is not worth waiting almost another year for (now my third estimated delivery delay and counting).

I’m feeling extremely fleeced by Elon - guy secured an interest free loan from me (reservation payment) for a car I hadn’t seen before reserving, and just told me that it might be another year before I should receive it. Either he's incompetent at planning and project management, or he knowingly deceived me in order to grab $1k from me. Thank goodness it’s refundable!

My Tesla fanaticism has been suspended indefinitely.

That's fair, and a lot of it is about need and timing. We're loving our S and don't need another car at the moment, so hanging tight right now is a good thing (as tempting as it is to pull the trigger). Speaking from experience, because I'm just as terrible with estimates and timing, he's an optimist. It's probably the biggest knock against him/Tesla, though I guess I'd say if that's the worst thing we have to deal with, we're doing OK. And it's definitely the former of your hypotheses. They're a young company and there's no way they'd survive being deceiving when folks found out about it.

Reactions: 206er
i thought the intent was to bring the EVs to the masses. if by masses, you mean upper middle class, then elon succeeded. with this delay, EVERY one of the 200K teslas delivered with a full tax credit in the US will be to those who can afford a $45K car (or much greater). All of those fringe buyers looking for an EV they can be excited about for under 30K after incentives, and put their 1K down almost 2 years ago are going to be disappointed. It is really a shame that the bulk of these tax incentives miss the people who needed it the most.

No one starts out making a product in quantity that is essentially a loss leader for them unless they want to go out of business. And while Tesla didn't get to this point in time without the margins on it's other car lines (thank you people who have been able to afford the cars for all these years), business wise it's totally understandable why Tesla now has to go the route of postponing the Standard Battery range cars. If everything had worked out smoothly at the Gigafactory and they were able to rapidly churn out those new Model 3 batteries (or use Model S/X batteries as a substitute), I'm sure they would have been able to make their estimated delivery times. Fewer batteries available, fewer Model 3s in owners hands, lost revenue for Tesla, something has to give. I don't for a minute think that Elon, once things are running up to speed, will abandon his goal to make $35K Model 3's for the masses.

As for the Government's Federal Tax Credit that is close to expiring, he has nothing to do with that. It did help sell the S and X cars that provided some of the funding he's needed to get to this point. I personally would love to see the cap on sales on it get raised. EVs until recently with batteries capable of 200 or more miles really were a hard sell. The Credit helped get some EVs out there and raise awareness but if Congress wants to really jumpstart EV production and sell cars and clean the air like European countries and the Chinese do, the companies that have been making the most strides into the EV world (like Tesla, GM and Nissan) are the ones that now will be hurt the most as well as their potential customers. Seems counterproductive.

Last edited:
Update: I just cancelled. We will probably be leasing a 2018 RDX, Q5, or XC60 this weekend, or wait until the 2019 RDX is available this summer (looks amazing).

So Elon looses me as a fan and likely customer (for now), and the environment looses because we will be one more poor gas mileage SUV on the road.

Hopefully there will be an assortment of great EV options on the market in 3 years.

Honestly, I feel kind of liberated right now...

If your wife wants an SUV, you're definitely getting one. Been there, done that, but I insisted on at least getting a hybrid one. Have you considered the Outlander PHEV or Highlander Hybrid?

We have two kids now and no SUV. The Model S doesn't have the passenger space of an SUV, but cargo capacity is huge. Took it on a camping trip last summer with lots of room to spare.

Its not a presumption. Elon has set a timeline for production on the model 3 many times in conference calls. Those estimates put MANY people in line for full tax credit. We didn't invent those numbers, we interpreted them.

If this was a 100K car or the tax credit wasn't expiring soon, throwing numbers like that out all willy nilly wouldn't be such a big deal...but we're talking over 20% of the retail off the car after tax credit. Elon is no stranger to missing deadlines, but with an audience where much of it relies on you not being full of dung, i hoped elon would learn his lesson by now.

It doesn't affect me so much as I couldn't wait to get out of my 2-seater with a kid on the way and bought another vehicle, but its just a shame that this tax credit goes to basically zero percent of those that need it most.

Your presumption was incorrect. The entity you should be disappointed in, is not Tesla or Congress, it is yourself for having expectations that were not realistic. Figure that a model 3 is a heck of a bargain at $35k for a car with great looks and advanced technology. It is well worth $35K and that is a more than fair price, the $7500 tax credit was just icing on the cake if you would qualify during the expiry window. The tax credit should not have been expected, it should have been a nice surprise if you received it.