Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk moved it up to 2018 because of its popularity...

He didn't have to move the dates 2 years early. He's trying to get this car to you all.

He moved it up two years because he started sh*tting his pants when it because clear the legacy manufacturers were likely to beat him to the "affordable EV". Oh and they have the capacity and the knowledge to outproduce him on Day One, rather than this "ramping up" nonsense,

Everyone gives credit to Elon for getting the rest of the industry into EV's. He'd better be careful what he wished for.

He moved it up two years because he started sh*tting his pants when it because clear the legacy manufacturers were likely to beat him to the "affordable EV". Oh and they have the capacity and the knowledge to outproduce him on Day One, rather than this "ramping up" nonsense,

Everyone gives credit to Elon for getting the rest of the industry into EV's. He'd better be careful what he wished for.

Until the legacy manufacturers start getting serious about their battery supply chain, I don't think there's anyone that's going to keep up with Tesla, even with their current production delay. Great, everyone is going to "electrify" in a few years. What kind of volume are we talking about if they aren't cranking out batteries? All talk. If Tesla folds today, all the showmanship around electrification by legacy auto will stop, and they'll continue cranking out their ICE cash cows.

The one that did ship but few people bought, because it was a poor range-price compromise, so eventually it got pulled from the product line-up?

So... what you're saying it was a deliberately poor range-price offering, that it was known no one would spring for, but at least let him make the claim that the Model S did actually start at $49,900 like he promised, at one moment in history?

Kind of like the 12 Model 3's that were delivered to Board members on the last day of July so that he could say he did hit his target of first delivery in Q2 2017?

No. The idea of a $35K Model 3 is pure fantasy. Just watch. They will build a few and deliver them in 2019 or whatever, just to say they did. A very large number of them that they don't sell will be someone who wanted to buy one but couldn't afford to.

Yes, and every single person that reserved that model got a Tesla for exactly that price.

The one that did ship but few people bought, because it was a poor range-price compromise, so eventually it got pulled from the product line-up?

Well, the "40" Model S actually was never made and the limited 60 kWh sold in its place was never out on sale beyond the initial orders. It was pretty much a higher-end model sold limited to fulfill existing orders.

Not exactly a normal case of "did ship".

The market would hardly like it if Model 3 SR turned out the same. :)

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Until the legacy manufacturers start getting serious about their battery supply chain, I don't think there's anyone that's going to keep up with Tesla, even with their current production delay. Great, everyone is going to "electrify" in a few years. What kind of volume are we talking about if they aren't cranking out batteries? All talk. If Tesla folds today, all the showmanship around electrification by legacy auto will stop, and they'll continue cranking out their ICE cash cows.

Yes. I'm quite sure that Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Volvo et. al are charging headlong into the EV business with absolutely NO IDEA where they are going to get their batteries from.

Don't worry, Tesla isn't going anywhere. But the next 2-3 years will be interesting.

So... what you're saying it was a deliberately poor range-price offering, that it was known no one would spring for, but at least let him make the claim that the Model S did actually start at $49,900 like he promised, at one moment in history?

The dubiousness of the trade-offs of that battery choice for the Model S, and whatever motivation you'd like to ascribe to offering it to start with, aren't really material to your assertion the M3 SR will never get delivered. Fact is all the people that had signed up and chose to buy the 40kWh MS were sold one, at the price stated. It was even available for some time after that.

This completely undermines your assertion that the Model 3 SR won't ever be sold, that the people that have reserved an SR won't ever see one.

Your screed notwithstanding.

-- -- --
P.S. The 40kWh Model S had a much smaller percentage of people that it made sense than the Model 3 SR, which is sufficient range for wide swaths of driving public. So you are double heaping your nonsense, your link between the two cars was broken from the start. :(

EDIT: Hilariously for your overall view on how much Tesla loathes and abandons their customers, Rather than sticking them with a MUCH higher cost for upgrading or forcing them to trade in the car for a new one, Tesla offered the few hundred that did by the 40kWh battery option the chance to pay for the unlocking the bigger battery capacity they'd been shipped anyway.

Last edited:
There is a 3rd possible outcome. $35K car never ships.

... The idea of a $35K Model 3 is pure fantasy. ....

Tesla from the very start has been unable to meet production deadlines. All their cars ship later than originally promised. But when they are shipped, they are exactly as promised. Other car makers cut corners on quality and/or service to meet deadlines or just to increase profits. Tesla breaks its delivery date promises in order to be sure of delivering quality cars. To be sure, if Musk asked me for my advice, I'd advise him to set reasonable production goals and then add a couple of months so that people are surprised by early delivery rather than late. But he's a chrono-optimist, to use a phrase lifted from a friend of mine.

Every single person who reserved and is on the waiting list now, or who reserves before a different price is announced, will be able to buy a base Model 3 for $35,000. And with adjustments for inflation, the Model 3 will continue to be available at that price. There is nothing in Tesla's history to suggest otherwise. Just the understandable frustration of the ever-present delays that have been a characteristic of Tesla from the beginning.

Yes. I'm quite sure that Audi, Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors, Volvo et. al are charging headlong into the EV business with absolutely NO IDEA where they are going to get their batteries from.

Don't worry, Tesla isn't going anywhere. But the next 2-3 years will be interesting.

It's not that they don't know what they're doing; they're just so behind the curve with EV infrastructure. The BEST they can do right now is announce plans to electrify.

You'd think GM with all their past experience with EVs and decades of manufacturing experience would easily be able to crank out 100k Bolts in a year. Wonder what's holding them back. Or any of the other manufacturers for that matter. BMW did some really cool stuff with Active-E. Why are they not dominating the EV market?

I'd be more worried about Chinese auto manufacturers at this point. China is making some big strategic plays claiming cobalt and lithium supplies. It's all about the battery in the next 2 years.

Perhaps you would like to talk to me about the wait when I bought my Volt when they first came out. GM struggled with that one too.

Dan

Kind of like the 12 Model 3's that were delivered to Board members on the last day of July so that he could say he did hit his target of first delivery in Q2 2017?

No. The idea of a $35K Model 3 is pure fantasy. Just watch. They will build a few and deliver them in 2019 or whatever, just to say they did. A very large number of them that they don't sell will be someone who wanted to buy one but couldn't afford to.

I confused as to what you are claiming. You are comparing it to a Model S that few people wanted, but everybody that wanted one got one. If you are saying the 35K Model 3 will be equally unpopular, that really doesn't appear to be the case. If you are saying they won't let people buy it despite many people wanting it, then they have never done anything like that before, so you can't say they have.

Dude...RELAX! Tesla will do what will make Tesla a better, stronger company. If that includes a $35,000 Model 3 then it will be available in large numbers. If it doesn't then they will find something else that will better serve the needs of their customers as well as the company.

Time will tell. Spewing what will or won't happen as if yo have a crystal ball is a little more than annoying. Sorry, maybe that's just me.

Dan

Well, the "40" Model S actually was never made and the limited 60 kWh sold in its place was never out on sale beyond the initial orders. It was pretty much a higher-end model sold limited to fulfill existing orders.

Not exactly a normal case of "did ship".

The market would hardly like it if Model 3 SR turned out the same. :)

If they did I'd be quite happy to have a SR model 3 in many ways.

1) able to charge to the software locked 100% daily and not worry about battery life.

2) supercharging speed.. So long as Tesla didn't limit it you would charge at the same rate as the LR and barely start tapering to get to 100%

3) lower battery degradation due to lower depth of discharge etc.

But I doubt that'll happen, there will be a SR battery pack.

I'm confused as to what you are claiming.
Don't be. He made a completely false statement and is scrambling to change the narrative. Logic will have no effect on him since he's clearly not interested in facts. Tesla shipped a 40 at the advertised price, they will do the same with the 3, and he'll have to find something else to complain about.

Reactions: EinSV
Don't be. He made a completely false statement and is scrambling to change the narrative. Logic will have no effect on him since he's clearly not interested in facts. Tesla shipped a 40 at the advertised price, they will do the same with the 3, and he'll have to find something else to complain about.
JRP, sorry to get off subject here. I never noticed that vehicle you have as your aviator. I remember getting in one of those when I was young, they are awesome but have not seen one in 40 years. Do you own one?

I haven't been following all the car makers but I doubt Tesla has a monopoly on lithium, cobalt and other EV battery components. Exciting times indeed. I will most likely go with AWD so I'm not going to bother with the upcoming Leaf but I'm also not going to kid myself into affording a Jaguar I-Pace so I'm leading more towards waiting for the BMW's to come out and compare how the Model 3 will be holding up by then. 2020 means late next year.
  • 2019 60 kWh Nissan Leaf
  • 2019 Electric Mini
  • 2020 iX3 and i4GC
  • 2021 Infiniti

If they did I'd be quite happy to have a SR model 3 in many ways.

1) able to charge to the software locked 100% daily and not worry about battery life.

2) supercharging speed.. So long as Tesla didn't limit it you would charge at the same rate as the LR and barely start tapering to get to 100%

3) lower battery degradation due to lower depth of discharge etc.

But I doubt that'll happen, there will be a SR battery pack.

Sure, I don't think there was anything wrong in the Model S "40" in technical implementation for the customer.

My point is: It was just not sustainable to sell, so Tesla didn't - beyond initial commitments.

I re-iterate my point: the market would hardly like it if Model 3 35k price point would turn out to be as limited and temporary as the 49.9k price point for Model S was.

Not that I expect this to happen. Just making the point that the 49.9k Model S did not, in the end, really exist as a selling product. It was a brief anomaly at best. Let's hope the 35k Model 3 fares better.

As for the delay in making the 35k Model 3 available - I am not personally surprised. I made the point on TMC several times last year that I'd expect them to do so. I don't think that in itself is a reason to worry for the price points long-term existence - it will come later.

• Disagree
Reactions: ℬête Noire