Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot find USB port in 2022 Tesla Model 3 delivered in December 2021

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello there,
I formatted a USB stick on with a third party app on my Windows 10 computer. Today I went to plug it in to my 22 Model 3 I picked up on December 22, 2021. I spent about 20 minutes poking around in the compartments in the front console while looking at the users manual. (Searched usb.) Then I gave up and drove away on my first interstate journey. I wanted to enable Dash Cam and try out Sentry Mode.
I'm at my destination now, and thought I'd look further. Poked around some more and gave up again. Some online searches say there's a formatted USB drive already installed in the glove compartment's USB port. I haven't gone out to the parking lot to check, but even if it's there, I still don't know how to initiate Dash Cam and Sentry Mode.
Joined this Tesla Motors Club just a moment ago and I'm hoping for some help.
I didn't find any answers to this question so I'm posting it now.
I appreciate your time.

Welcome to TMC!

Check your glove compartment for the USB there to see if its there. I believe that some teslas delivered in december may be missing USB ports (to be installed later by the SC when parts are available), but I havent read that applies to the port in the glove compartment.

As for formatting it, you can format it with the interface in the car and it will be setup for dashcam / sentry.

I think its under service, or software (it just moved in the new interface I have, which may not be the one you currently have).

I believe (I could be wrong, computer has changed in this short time as well) that for 2022 models only the glovebox USB type A can be used for Sentry / Tesla Cam / Music, etc. the center console USB-C ports no longer work with the computer, they’re just for charging. I tried to connect my SSD to other ports and the glovebox was the only one that allowed me to format via the UI.

My 2022 M3LR was built in November, delivery taken mid December.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
I believe (I could be wrong, computer has changed in this short time as well) that for 2022 models only the glovebox USB type A can be used for Sentry / Tesla Cam / Music, etc. the center console USB-C ports no longer work with the computer, they’re just for charging. I tried to connect my SSD to other ports and the glovebox was the only one that allowed me to format via the UI.

My 2022 M3LR was built in November, delivery taken mid December.

I read that here as well ( about in 2022 Model 3s, the front USB ports in the console may not work for data, only charging. Not sure about when that might have changed, and Im not even sure if thats US, international or both. Like many things Tesla, they change on the fly.

I have a 2022 M3LY and game controllers only work when connected to the glovebox USB connector. The two in the box between the two eats are power only. I sent back three game controllers to Amazon thinking they weren't working. I'm sure they all did - I never tried the glovebox USB port with them...

There are 2 different situations with the front USB ports:

1) Some cars were delivered without the port, like no actual physical port, they're supposed to be installed later (as to what you get, see #2)

2) Some very recent cars have the ports, but they no longer support data (including controllers), only charging, the only data port is the one in the glovebox

So IF you have the physical ports, AND a known, good working, proper format USB stick with music files does not show up as a source, you may have the case of "charge only" ports.

Someone in another thread confirmed with an onsite Tesla service person about dropping the ports as data sources.

Hello there,
I formatted a USB stick on with a third party app on my Windows 10 computer. Today I went to plug it in to my 22 Model 3 I picked up on December 22, 2021. I spent about 20 minutes poking around in the compartments in the front console while looking at the users manual. (Searched usb.) Then I gave up and drove away on my first interstate journey. I wanted to enable Dash Cam and try out Sentry Mode.
I'm at my destination now, and thought I'd look further. Poked around some more and gave up again. Some online searches say there's a formatted USB drive already installed in the glove compartment's USB port. I haven't gone out to the parking lot to check, but even if it's there, I still don't know how to initiate Dash Cam and Sentry Mode.
Joined this Tesla Motors Club just a moment ago and I'm hoping for some help.
I didn't find any answers to this question so I'm posting it now.
I appreciate your time.
Hi Robert; Did you get your USB worked out? I have an M3LR 2022 (12/2021 Delivery) so a couple of things I've learned:
I got burned on the front center console ports being enabled for data. Opened a ticket with the Service Center and they cancelled my appointment.
So I'm using a (glovebox) SSD partitioned for both Dashcam & Music:

But I'm still miffed that our cars had that capability when we ordered and it is missing upon delivery. It seems like the only option now is to use the glovebox USB-A and unplug it (or buy a hub) when anyone wants to plug-in a game controller for arcade games while parked.

From the manual:
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

Attachments

• 1642337314965.png
    1642337314965.png
    454.2 KB · Views: 444
  • Informative
Reactions: Maric
Hi Robert; Did you get your USB worked out? I have an M3LR 2022 (12/2021 Delivery) so a couple of things I've learned:
I got burned on the front center console ports being enabled for data. Opened a ticket with the Service Center and they cancelled my appointment.
So I'm using a (glovebox) SSD partitioned for both Dashcam & Music:

But I'm still miffed that our cars had that capability when we ordered and it is missing upon delivery. It seems like the only option now is to use the glovebox USB-A and unplug it (or buy a hub) when anyone wants to plug-in a game controller for arcade games while parked.

From the manual:
Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.
There are reports that using a hub on the glovebox USB port can overload the MCU causing it to freeze or otherwise behave erratically.

The glovebox port and the console USB-C ports may be (designed to be, but left disconnected on some cars) connected to different controllers or buses on the MCU main board.

With the Qi charger pads, there is really no point having power-only ports in the front. Unless the driver or passenger has a Cretaceous-era phone that doesn’t charge wirelessly.

To validate all of this, someone would need to dismantle the front console on a car with a fully-connected set of USB ports and also a front console on a car that has been gimped.

I’m guessing there is a way to fix this if someone has a way to fabricate missing cables or obtain and install a compatible hub.

Unfortunately I have a strong feeling we’re just victims of poor timing and compromises based on supply chain issues at the time. Missing out on the AMD processor by a month is also frustrating but what can you do. I’m still enjoying my new ride.

If you’re looking for a solution then yes, @BigNick is correct, someone would have to bust up their new dash and see if there are potential solutions. It won’t be me… but someone 😉👉👉

It’s not just the model 3s. My new 2022 model Ys picked up this week also didn’t come w the usb-c ports and charging pad doesn’t work either. Tesla didn’t even tell me about it. At first they tried to say it’s cuz of the bigger camera bump on my new iPhone 13 pro max. Then I tried it on another new model 3 next to me and it worked fine. Then they said oh yeah we don’t have the parts we’ll call you when the parts come in.
“Tell them anything, blame it on their phone, they’re inserting the cable wrong, whatever you can think of, just get them to take the damn car off our lot.”