Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot invite driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New Model Y owner. I am trying to invite my wife to be a driver using the app. When she clicks on the link I send her she gets this error message. Any ideas?

She created the Tesla account some months ago but has tried logging out / logging back in / setup of MFA - nothing works

Even tried deleting the Tesla account and it won’t let us with multiple reasons stated which are all not true.

Thanks

B0745867-DCED-4F62-8D7D-8203C7BC8ADB.png

Have you checked your version of the Tesla app? I just picked up my 2022 MYP a few days ago and after upgrading the app yesterday (new version came out) I was able to add my wife pretty easily.
yep. both latest versions of the app. Does not work. My wife created a Tesla account obviously without a car some months ago but this should still work. Tried deleting her account but it won't let us do that despite none of the reasons it says being true.

How do you contact Tesla Support? The App method of "Service" always assume a hardware problem. I want to report a software fault. It's not clear how you do that to me.

Upvote 0
yep. both latest versions of the app. Does not work. My wife created a Tesla account obviously without a car some months ago but this should still work. Tried deleting her account but it won't let us do that despite none of the reasons it says being true.

How do you contact Tesla Support? The App method of "Service" always assume a hardware problem. I want to report a software fault. It's not clear how you do that to me.
You can choose “Other” and describe your reason for contacting them. It will still ask you to select an appointment, and will likely assign you a mobile window for the day/time selected. Once they view it they will respond and probably cancel your appointment unless it’s needed. Hopefully they can just solve remotely.

Upvote 0
Why do you need a separate account for your wife? We have one account for the car and everyone in the family uses that account with separate profiles. I don't think you can have individual accounts for the same car.
You are supposed to be able to add up to five people to give access to the car. Useful if you want to let someone borrow it and not give them your credentials. Or for rental companies giving the car to different drivers.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

New Model Y owner. I am trying to invite my wife to be a driver using the app. When she clicks on the link I send her she gets this error message. Any ideas?

She created the Tesla account some months ago but has tried logging out / logging back in / setup of MFA - nothing works

Even tried deleting the Tesla account and it won’t let us with multiple reasons stated which are all not true.

Thanks

View attachment 771640
Is that the error message when you try it on the app or on a browser on your phone? Looks different than what I see in the app (besides) the error so maybe try it via the app if you haven’t. If you e tried both than just reach out to Tesla.

Upvote 0
You are supposed to be able to add up to five people to give access to the car. Useful if you want to let someone borrow it and not give them your credentials. Or for rental companies giving the car to different drivers.
Sure but they are all on the same account. Download the app to each phone and sign onto the same account, same username and password, and set up individual profiles in the car.

• Disagree
Reactions: AlexHung
Upvote 0
Why do you need a separate account for your wife? We have one account for the car and everyone in the family uses that account with separate profiles. I don't think you can have individual accounts for the same car.

Because sharing account information is absolutely not a "IT best practice" when it comes to IT security. No one should get into the "habit" of sharing their credentials with others, unless there is both a desire for access AND no other way.

In this case, there absolutely is a way, and it normally works. You have the second person create their own tesla account, with their own email, then you invite that account as a separate driver. Why it isnt working for the OP of this thread is something they need to troubleshoot with tesla, but it absolutely works.

So does everyone using the same account, as you point out, but not doing that is not a matter of "not trusting" the other person. Its reducing impact if an account gets compromised.

Upvote 0
Because sharing account information is absolutely not a "IT best practice" when it comes to IT security. No one should get into the "habit" of sharing their credentials with others, unless there is both a desire for access AND no other way.

In this case, there absolutely is a way, and it normally works. You have the second person create their own tesla account, with their own email, then you invite that account as a separate driver. Why it isnt working for the OP of this thread is something they need to troubleshoot with tesla, but it absolutely works.

So does everyone using the same account, as you point out, but not doing that is not a matter of "not trusting" the other person. Its reducing impact if an account gets compromised.
Yep this ability was released in 2020 I believe. But yes, lots of people same to share credentials for some reason.

Upvote 0
Yep this ability was released in 2020 I believe. But yes, lots of people same to share credentials for some reason.

My wife has been an additional driver with her own tesla account for at least that long, perhaps even as far back as sometime in 2019, but I dont remember the year.

I wrote up a guide on how to do it, and posted it here, in fact, since it was a question that came up so often. It was a sticky thread in the Model 3 subforum, but I "unstickied" it because I also had a click by click workflow on where to go in the tesla account there, and tesla changed the website a couple times, then moved the workflow to the tesla app itself.

The methodology is still accurate, but the workflow isnt.

Reactions: whatthe2
Upvote 0
My wife has been an additional driver with her own tesla account for at least that long, perhaps even as far back as sometime in 2019, but I dont remember the year.

I wrote up a guide on how to do it, and posted it here, in fact, since it was a question that came up so often. It was a sticky thread in the Model 3 subforum, but I "unstickied" it because I also had a click by click workflow on where to go in the tesla account there, and tesla changed the website a couple times, then moved the workflow to the tesla app itself.

The methodology is still accurate, but the workflow isnt.

Nice!!

Upvote 0
So you are saying you have two or more totally separate accounts to access your car? Meaning different accounts when signing onto the Tesla websites, different payments for supercharging, different accounts for orders, etc? Or are you just talking about a different "account, sign on" for the phone app?

Upvote 0
So you are saying you have two or more totally separate accounts to access your car? Meaning different accounts when signing onto the Tesla websites, different payments for supercharging, different accounts for orders, etc? Or are you just talking about a different "account" for the phone app?
I personally don’t as I’m the only one who regularly drives my car. Read through the link jjrandorin posted above and it will explain it all to you.

Upvote 0
In fact, the whole purpose is that others don't have access to your Tesla account. So the word account is the wrong word here. It's an electronic key card, not a separate Tesla account.
Correct, they don’t have access to your account, but they DO NEED their own account with their own credentials and an invite from the primary. They really only lose the ability to buy upgrades and get roadside assistance via the app.

I get your point though about only letting people use your car that you trust. Many people do this as well and give them their credentials.

But it’s a use case for some people. I personally don’t give my credentials to anyone (even my wife) because I work for a cyber company and it’s drilled into my head not to do that if there is another option. Which is one of the reasons Tesla added this feature.

Reactions: PACEMD
Upvote 0
So you are saying you have two or more totally separate accounts to access your car? Meaning different accounts when signing onto the Tesla websites, different payments for supercharging, different accounts for orders, etc? Or are you just talking about a different "account, sign on" for the phone app?

My wife has her own tesla account, with its own user name and password, that is completely 100% separate from my tesla account, which also has its own user name and password.

She is an "additional driver" on my car, so all that stuff you mentioned (payments for supercharging) is the responsibility of the main driver, not an additional driver. The "Primary" person can add (and remove) additional drivers (with their own tesla accounts).

So, yes, its a separate account that access our (since we both own both cars in the house) car. No, it doesnt have different supercharging billing because that goes to the main account.

If, for example, you had a friend who had a tesla and needed to borrow their car for some reason, they could log into their tesla app, add you as an additional driver, and then their car would appear in your tesla app (along with your own). When you were done using their car, they could remove you from access, and it would disappear from your tesla app.

Upvote 0