Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot park my car in the garage without Stop being displayed and BEEP BEEP BEEP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if there could be some setting to teach the parking sensors the dimensions and layout of one's garage or be more tolerant? Normally during parking I use the beeps, but for my garage they are utterly unusable because they display Stop a few times and beep like mad all the time. The first piece is the threshold of the garage door which is all of a quarter inch high and seems to be interpreted as an unsurmountable obstacle causing Beeps and Stop in the display.

Next I am parking next some bikes at a foot from the car, while turning into the garage, and it also does not like that very much - as it seems to NOT take into account that the steering wheel being max turned, the rear of the car will absolutely not hit at the bike at all. Instead it says Stop again.

Depending on the exact turn it also displays Stop due to the relatively low distance to the car next to it on the other side (the mirrors are I guess about half a foot apart when they pass each other).

Finally the fourth Stop is for reaching the end of the garage and that is the only one that is actually not a false alarm.

I thought parking sensors were supposed to be a help but they make one a nerve wreck up to 3 times per parking action, especially when the car was still relatively new.
I have now learned to totally ignore them and trust the camera white helper lines instead, but that may also not healthy in case somebody actually left some junk in the garage where I want to park the car.

This was supposed to be improved in the v7.0 software delivery but I did not really note any improvement in my garage... sw level is 2.7.77.

Same here. I find the park sensors more annoying than useful. Even more annoying when you pull up to someone at a light, and your left hand display goes into park mode and cannot be cancelled.

It's the last 12" that counts, and it stops measuring at 12".

Same thing for mine and I just ignore it, but I'm hoping it doesn't prevent auto-park from working when it comes out.

If the display isn't lying about the resolution available, I don't see how it would work. There's enough room to walk around the car on all sides, btw.

IMG_5974.JPG

I wonder if there could be some setting to teach the parking sensors the dimensions and layout of one's garage or be more tolerant? Normally during parking I use the beeps, but for my garage they are utterly unusable because they display Stop a few times and beep like mad all the time. The first piece is the threshold of the garage door which is all of a quarter inch high and seems to be interpreted as an unsurmountable obstacle causing Beeps and Stop in the display.

Next I am parking next some bikes at a foot from the car, while turning into the garage, and it also does not like that very much - as it seems to NOT take into account that the steering wheel being max turned, the rear of the car will absolutely not hit at the bike at all. Instead it says Stop again.

Depending on the exact turn it also displays Stop due to the relatively low distance to the car next to it on the other side (the mirrors are I guess about half a foot apart when they pass each other).

Finally the fourth Stop is for reaching the end of the garage and that is the only one that is actually not a false alarm.

I thought parking sensors were supposed to be a help but they make one a nerve wreck up to 3 times per parking action, especially when the car was still relatively new.
I have now learned to totally ignore them and trust the camera white helper lines instead, but that may also not healthy in case somebody actually left some junk in the garage where I want to park the car.

This was supposed to be improved in the v7.0 software delivery but I did not really note any improvement in my garage... sw level is 2.7.77.
You have it lucky that you're pulling in forward. My charger requires me to back in the car. Considering I've never had to back in a car into the garage before let alone a car that isn't considered small, plus it's a brand new car, that really gets you nervous. I needed assistance the first few times. Now it's second nature and I feel pretty confident backing into spaces now. The backup lines are a great help.

I did forget once I had moved my golf clubs (standing bag) behind my parking area to take in the garbage before backing in my car. The sensors let me know something was in the way so I didn't run over my clubs and possibly scratched the paint.

I really like this feature. Gotten used to the chimes. I've crushed some things in the garage with my ICE in the past. Now when I park my wife's S, I can't destroy anything (especially relevant since the water softener is in front of her space). I even tried to go beyond the "Stop" warning and car put itself into Auto-Hold (grey H) function and wouldn't let me drive forward anymore. Told my wife, she wasn't too happy with me experimenting in the car... :tongue:

Do you have SAS? I noticed a few weeks ago at a Christmas light thing I was driving through that after loosing my mind with the parking sensors I raised the car to very high and after doing so all of the false alarms stopped. In that situation we were just rolling down a flat open road with zero obstacle's but every 2 feet it was saying 'STOP'. At least it quit after raising the car that time which mean the family could stop asking me every few seconds, why is your new car still beeping :)