Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to customer service yesterday for hour and half.
Seems someone closed my service ticket on 18 January.
Also. Richmond closed my ticket when they ripped me off for a new port that didnt fix the problem. November.
Guy phone says new firmware out 18.50 should fix problem.
BUT, he cant tell me when we will get it.
I called my service center, manager fired, everyone in meeting with new manager all day. Have to wait till tomorrow.
Oh, Tesla confirmed they using wifi to push sw now, if your car is not on wifi you will not get sw updates.

Call your service center, tell them to get you 18.50

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and neroden
Talked to customer service yesterday for hour and half.
Seems someone closed my service ticket on 18 January.
Also. Richmond closed my ticket when they ripped me off for a new port that didnt fix the problem. November.
Guy phone says new firmware out 18.50 should fix problem.
BUT, he cant tell me when we will get it.
I called my service center, manager fired, everyone in meeting with new manager all day. Have to wait till tomorrow.
Oh, Tesla confirmed they using wifi to push sw now, if your car is not on wifi you will not get sw updates.

Call your service center, tell them to get you 18.50
I got 2018.50.6 yesterday - will run to the nearest supercharger tonight hopefully (about half hour away) and will report back if this helps.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
And yes, I've heard of a few of the wall connectors that were on a low power circuit, but were accidentally configured to allow higher amps. When a dual charger car hooked up, the wall connector tried to supply 80A and burned up its wiring connections that were only for something like a 40A circuit.

Shouldn't the breaker have popped before the wire fried? I always thought that was a major purpose of the breaker....to protect the wire.

Shouldn't the breaker have popped before the wire fried? I always thought that was a major purpose of the breaker....to protect the wire.
That would generally be yes, but circuit breakers have slow trip and fast trip mechanisms, and it depends on how high the current was. The wall connector advertises to the car how many amps should be available. In this case we're talking about it saying more than it should because of the wrong switch position. But then the car requests how many amps it wants to take, and that's what the wall connector sends.

If a car tried to pull 80A from a 40A rated circuit, that would probably trip the breaker right away because it's high enough over, that it will probably throw the fast trip mechanism. The slow trip is based on heat from the wire warming up the breaker, and it can run a little over the rating for a while before the heat builds up in the breaker to trip it. So let's say that a car is pulling 40 or 48A from a circuit that is supposed to be rated for 40A, so maybe it has 8 gauge Romex wire. That's a little too high for that circuit, so it will probably be heating up. Connection points are the most resistive places, so it could be a race between whether the connection to the breaker or the connection to the wall connector lugs heats up too much first. So I suppose you could get a bit of melting in the wall connector before the breaker cuts it off.

You guys are on wrong post??
Yes, that is weird. I remember that comment I made, but it was in a different thread. I'm not sure how @gavine got that into this thread in replying to it, and I just clicked the notification to respond without even noticing it didn't make sense being here.

(Edit) Ah, no, I found it. It was on page 1 and was responding to @Lasttoy 's off-topic story about burning up a wall connector.

At the superchargers after plugging in do you get the red ring? That's what I've been seeing recently on my 2012 S85.

After a lot of struggle I figured out a workaround to this issue. When you see the red ring, press the button on the charger handle (the one that normally opens the charge port door). Keep the charger fully inserted while pressing the button and for this whole process. After about 1 second of pressing the button, let go of the button. Doing this causes the latch mechanism to disengage and re-engage, the red light turns white and then blinks blue. After 5 seconds or so the light blinks green and charging begins.

I'm hoping this is your issue since this action might fix it. Good luck!

My S is a 2012 and I have the red ring issue, but i can still charge. From my experience, if i get the red ring i always have to remove and reinsert it a second or third time for it to work. I thought it was because my charging port is dirty after 5 years. Makes me wonder if Telsa when i brought my S in for service, if they ever cleaned that out. Software makes sense, but still should work on the first shot.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
My S is a 2012 and I have the red ring issue, but i can still charge. From my experience, if i get the red ring i always have to remove and reinsert it a second or third time for it to work. I thought it was because my charging port is dirty after 5 years. Makes me wonder if Telsa when i brought my S in for service, if they ever cleaned that out. Software makes sense, but still should work on the first shot.

maybe it's a combo, but both my ports seem original, and the one with 20k more miles works better... so very unsure what the actual cause is. software could have changed the threshold...

Gadget, did you go to Service Center and make formal work order,
Did you call the 8777983752 and make sure its in the data base your is having the problem?

No I did not call. I would unplug, then try again with slight pressure up or down on the charge cable and that usually worked. I never get this problem at my home charger.

I will test again this weekend by going to the Supercharger and call if I get the problem.

I'll say this again as this trick works 100% of the time with my December 2012 S.

All I do when I see the red ring is push down on the handle's release button for a couple seconds, leaving the charger inserted, and then let go. That's it. With 100% success the car starts charging right away.

Before discovering this trick I would also unplug and re-plug several times, with the similar mixed results being reported by others here.

Tesla serviceman went with me to Super chargers. It does not work on my car. For 6 stations in Jax and zero in St Augustine . Fact if i plug onto an inverter sharing, i will kick the other car off completely. That freaked the serviceman.
I was told last week 18.50.6 will fix this, BUT, its not ready for prime time yet, therefore we have to wait for west coast testing to finish.
I am stilled restricted to Gen 5 sc only.
Stay tuned for new news.

• Informative
Reactions: Araman0
Tony, if i could get the TRUTH out of Tesla just once i would be happy. No pun intended , but they sound like Trump.
One says its the charging station, next call says its v9. Still no fix since November.

May I suggest you call the Riviera Beach (West Palm Beach) Fl service center (561-841-9281 then press option 2 and then option 2 again to reach a person in that specific service center) and ask to speak to Jose.

When I had issues charging in Knoxville TN and Kingsland GA and some other places (on a March built 2013 P85 running vehicle firmware 8.1) I spoke to Jose. He looked into the matter and informed me that the problem was a software issue in the superchargers and that the supercharger software was being updated to fix the issue. I haven’t had the issue lately, but I have not been back to the locations where I experienced problems. Maybe he has a better insight into your problem than the current service center you are dealing with.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo