Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't decide between AWD and performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Performance (without the 20" Wheel option). I was lucky to have that option at the time.
If I had it to do over again, I would save the money and get the AWD.
It's fun to show off Performance to friends. But normal day to day driving. AWD would be EXACTLY the same.

Especially if you plan to run 18" Wheels for Winter Tires. You will not be able to fit OEM 18" or OEM 19" Wheels on a Performance.
You'll have to go after Market.
I also suspect you will regret 20" wheels because it takes half the summer to repair the potholes (around New England does any way) and you will hit some. And you will take some hit on range with the sticky 20" tires YMMV.

I only ended up paying $5K for Performance because of refund on the $10K option.

All Trims are fun to drive.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP and whatthe2
I have a Performance (without the 20" Wheel option). I was lucky to have that option at the time.
If I had it to do over again, I would save the money and get the AWD.
It's fun to show off Performance to friends. But normal day to day driving. AWD would be EXACTLY the same.

Especially if you plan to run 18" Wheels for Winter Tires. You will not be able to fit OEM 18" or OEM 19" Wheels on a Performance.
You'll have to go after Market.
I also suspect you will regret 20" wheels because it takes half the summer to repair the potholes (around New England does any way) and you will hit some. And you will take some hit on range with the sticky 20" tires YMMV.

I only ended up paying $5K for Performance because of refund on the $10K option.

All Trims are fun to drive.
Same here. Love having the P3D Stealth, but if I had to choose now would go with the AWD as I don't want the Performance tires.

I've had my P for about 2 months now and would definitely recommend if money is not a concern.
It's not just the acceleration but overall handling and braking is better on the P.
Just like you I test drove them back to back and do not regret my decision one bit.

It's been a struggle trying to decide between the 2 based on our situation.

Two weeks ago, my wife and I test drove AWD and performance back and back, AWD first and then performance. We ordered the P3D right after. The difference in performance is huge in terms of acceleration as well as handling which could be the difference in tires and slightly lower suspension of the P3D.

A few days after I started second guessing my decision. I said my decision since the wife was fine with us ordering the P3D. My concern was: 1) 20" rims on the P3D with the potpoles and possibly bending the rims, 2) Is it really worth the price difference for us: This will be primary my wife's car even though I will drive it on the weekend, and we are not both aggressive drivers that will race people off the line, 3) Range: If comparing the 19' sport wheels on the AWD vs the P3D, seems like P3D will be at least 5% more "thirsty". Is it just from the difference in wheels? For winter, we'll be driving with 18" winters on either one.

To make the situation more difficult to analyze, we may be looking to replace our SUV to the Model Y in 2 years if we like the EV experience (Model 3 being our first EV). Then I'd prefer the wifey to drive the Model Y and I'll take over the Model 3.
If that's the case, I will definitely prefer the P3D.

We can afford the P3D no issues, but is it really worth it for us to pay $13k CAD more + interest for something that we will probably never take advantage of.

And also the 20" rims. I wish the P3D came with options for 19" instead.

Last week, I have modified the order to an AWD, but I'm still unsure which one I should go with. No VINs have been assigned yet, so I can still modify the order yet again, but this may delay the delivery. As of right now, I'm leaning towards the AWD. It does seem like P3D is more of a want, and AWD is the more logical choice.

Definitely need some help from those who had trouble deciding between the two, as well as owners who have 20" rims and can share their experience. Thanks!

If money is not an issue, get the P. I too was heavily debating between the AWD and P, but I ended up deciding on the P because I know that if I got the AWD, I might always be wondering if I should have gone for the P, but once you get the P you won't look back. Plus, P's are more rare, I see *so* many model 3's around nowadays but I very rarely see another P. (If that sort of thing matters to you.)

As for the fact that you and your wife aren't aggressive drivers ... that might very well change once you get into the P. I speak from experience.

I own a performance model, and love it.

Now the reality: Today, my average speed was ELEVEN MILES AN HOUR on my one hour commute into the office -- on the way home, a whopping TEN. I enjoy the performance mainly when I'm on vacation and when we take road trips, which is several times per year. Most of the time, that power is sitting there, dormant and trying desperately to jump out.

If you have discretionary spending, go for it - otherwise, it is hard to justify. It's a struggle between the head and the heart: In my case, HEART WON.

For me it was no brainer. 1 sec difference from 0 to 60 acceleration is not that great to pay so much extra. Some can say, no, it is big difference. Okay, I am not racing for the living. What the point? I always feel that my AWD has more than enough power. I am not even talking about wheels. Also, I do think that performance gewar box, which is the same as in AWD, wll wear faster, especially if you abuse it showing off.

For me it was no brainer. 1 sec difference from 0 to 60 acceleration is not that great to pay so much extra. Some can say, no, it is big difference. Okay, I am not racing for the living. What the point? I always feel that my AWD has more than enough power. I am not even talking about wheels. Also, I do think that performance gewar box, which is the same as in AWD, wll wear faster, especially if you abuse it showing off.

1 second faster? Almost true, but let’s look at that a different way. If you mash the pedal, then roughly speaking:

Each second, the AWD gains 13.6 mph through 60mph
Each second, the P gains 18.75 mph through 60mph

In other words, the P has 37.5% more acceleration. (And costs about 20% more, half of which is for the hardware upgrades.)

1 second faster? Almost true, but let’s look at that a different way. If you mash the pedal, then roughly speaking:

Each second, the AWD gains 13.6 mph through 60mph
Each second, the P gains 18.75 mph through 60mph

In other words, the P has 37.5% more acceleration. (And costs about 20% more, half of which is for the hardware upgrades.)
1 second is one second. We can calculate acceleration, and other parameters. So what? In real life it is actually not much of practical use. As I said, AWD has more then enough. The motors actually are the same. Hardware updates in form of different wheels - well, no much gain either, except that Performance wheels are easier to damage. So, you pay mostly not for the hardware I believe, but just because it is PERFORMANCE. I am not even talking that this extra performance takes its toll on the battery, motor, gear box, and range (if you really use acceleration a lot).

All of which are more of a liability than an asset for most drivers.

If you could separate 20” Rims from the power boost it would be one thing. But you can’t. Not from Tesla. And you don’t need 20” rims to handle that power.

So many posts of folks dumping their 20” rims.

Reactions: BestHand
1 second is one second. We can calculate acceleration, and other parameters. So what? In real life it is actually not much of practical use. As I said, AWD has more then enough. The motors actually are the same. Hardware updates in form of different wheels - well, no much gain either, except that Performance wheels are easier to damage. So, you pay mostly not for the hardware I believe, but just because it is PERFORMANCE. I am not even talking that this extra performance takes its toll on the battery, motor, gear box, and range (if you really use acceleration a lot).

I 3rd it.

Don’t forget to add cost of $1400 worth of tires that will cost you more than fuel if you keep stomping on it.