Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get a Model S to Hotham/Dinner Plain legally in winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's something... even though there are at least a couple of HPWC's at Dinner Plain you can't use Tesla approved snow chains on your Model S to get there in Winter. Turns out that the ones that Tesla sell/endorse are "spider" chains that are banned on the Mount Hotham road and the only design you can use are diamond pattern chains (that come too close to suspension parts for Tesla to endorse the use of.. note I haven't fact-checked this bit yet).

Any Australian Model S owners know of a legal and Tesla approved combination of stuff to get a Model S to Dinner Plain in Winter?

Note that the guys at the Richmond service centre have been more than accomodating and informative since they made and informed me of this discovery.

Dinner Plain is fine if you go the Omeo way, as you don't cross the zone requiring diamond pattern chains. At least that's my understanding and what I did to get to Dinner Plain last winter. You also very seldom actually need chains to Dinner Plain that way and so you can just carry 'compliance' ones that you don't intend to ever fit. I had the Tesla ones and so could theoretically fit them but one test run in the garage was enough to convince me I would never bother, and if they were fitting chains to even 4wd when I went up I'd leave the car in Omeo!

I did think of that but the supercharger is in Euroa and the Omeo way is 453km from home. The car starts telling me to slow down well before I threaten to exhaust the maximum rated range - and I'm a pretty firm believer that 100km/h roads shouldn't be driven at 80. Can't be done unless I slow-charge somewhere... I'm not that patient. I might have to dust off the old diesel truck for the first time since September last year; wonder if it still works.

There's 32A 3-ph in Bairnesdale which would probably get you topped up enough over lunch to be able to do the trip without having to drive under the limit, if you have adaptors for that. You certainly wouldn't do it without a charge even in a 90 as the climb up from Bairnesdale takes quite a lot, way more than the distance would indicate on typical or rated usage (roughly 300RKM needed to be safe if I recall). Shame if you have to ICE it but sometimes it has to be done :-(

Something else to consider for people taking the car up to Hotham, it's possible the destination chargers at Gapsted Winery might be operating soon (or now). I started that process between them and Tesla and last I heard things were going ahead. From Gapsted to Hotham and back is about a 30-35kWh round trip so a top-up at Gapsted on the way up and back (great restaurant!) would alleviate some worries about vampire loss if parked on the hill without charging for a few days.

Thanks for the update. Looks like there might be some options. In the mean time it hasn't stopped me from writing to Mount Hotham Resort Management urging a review of their ban on spider chains:

"...It is also rather ironic that in order to enjoy the skiing at mount Hotham I must resort to a fossil fuelled vehicle; the use of which ultimately is bringing about the end of skiing in Australia through the warming of our climate."

Reactions: Hungry Mile
Do you need snow chains in Victoria even if you have an AWD? I'm going to Thredbo at the weekend, from Sydney, and Telsa has told me that in NSW snow chains are not required if your vehicle is FWD/AWD. Reading this thread makes me nervous that I'm going to get pinged by the RTA...

Victorian resorts all require you to carry chains I believe, regardless of whether you're 2 or 4 WD. Hotham regularly (but infrequently, depending on the season) requires even 4WD vehicles to fit them. Most other Victorian resorts you're unlikely to need to fit chains to 4WD except in rare extreme circumstances.

Something else to consider for people taking the car up to Hotham, it's possible the destination chargers at Gapsted Winery might be operating soon (or now). I started that process between them and Tesla and last I heard things were going ahead. From Gapsted to Hotham and back is about a 30-35kWh round trip so a top-up at Gapsted on the way up and back (great restaurant!) would alleviate some worries about vampire loss if parked on the hill without charging for a few days.

I've checked btw and unfortunately they still haven't got these installed as yet. Might still happen this season but will be too late for most.

It is rare that you need to fit chains on an AWD, however if you are coming down the mountain on an icy (not snowy) road and don't have chains fitted, AWD won't make any difference and you may just slide over the edge. Then try explaining that to your insurance company!

Has anyone solved this dilemma yet? Just wanting to know if people have successfully fitted diamond pattern chains to a 19 inch model S?
Yes as I mentioned way back there is no problem fitting normal chains to the rear wheels of an S, there's plenty of clearance. There was misinformation kicking around in the early days about there not being enough space but that was referring to the front wheels. I know of at least one S driver who has been taking their car to Hotham every season for the last 5 years or so. Of course something may have changed in later model suspension configurations so you'd need to check but I don't think so. And any competent chain seller should be able to check and advise anyway.

Can't speak for the S but the X also comes with Tesla's recommendation not to use standard chains.

My X is fitted with Konig XG-12s and they work fine. If my experience is any indication I think Tesla are being overly conservative about their clearances. I suggest ringing around a few reputable snow tyre/chain dealers and checking if they have any experience fitting diamond pattern chains for the S. That's how I discovered Konigs were being fitted with no issues for other X owners.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Can't speak for the S but the X also comes with Tesla's recommendation not to use standard chains.

My X is fitted with Konig XG-12s and they work fine. If my experience is any indication I think Tesla are being overly conservative about their clearances. I suggest ringing around a few reputable snow tyre/chain dealers and checking if they have any experience fitting diamond pattern chains for the S. That's how I discovered Konigs were being fitted with no issues for other X owners.
Can you suggest some names of good dealers to look at?

Thanks. Is this the mob in Camberwell?