Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't get in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
B

banned-66611

I can't get in to the Model 3. It's really low, and even with the seat right back and down and the wheel right up my knees bump up against the wheel.

Seems like the door sill is a bit high, I find it hard to get my feet over. I'm only 6'.

I must be doing something wrong. How do you get into this thing?

I can't get in to the Model 3. It's really low, and even with the seat right back and down and the wheel right up my knees bump up against the wheel.

Seems like the door sill is a bit high, I find it hard to get my feet over. I'm only 6'.

I must be doing something wrong. How do you get into this thing?
I don't know, try yoga maybe? I'm 6'3" and don't have any problem getting in or out without moving the wheel. It's plenty big.

I have an AWD model with premium package. Model 3 owners with the Premium Package can adjust the steering wheel by height/tilt angle and closer or further away.

Must have been a Premium Package I tried then, as I could move the wheel up/down and in/out. Actually having it far forward was worse because it makes it lower. Kind of mid-way and as high as it would go was the best.

Maybe it's just because the Model 3 is very low, but I found that the door sill was quite high so I have to bring my knees up to get my feet over it, and then couldn't get my knees past the wheel without banging into it.

Tesla makes the Model X for people wanting easier access and exit.

Model 3 is actually pretty good, compared to other 4 door sedans of similar size.

Model X is a bit pricey for me. I just don't spend enough time in the car or have a big enough family to justify it.

I have no problem in taller cars like the Leaf, i3, Niro, Kona etc. The Ioniq is a bit low and awkward but not quite as difficult as the M3.

I just don't get it. I have a bit of arthritis but it's not that bad. I've had smaller cars before (learnt in a Nissan Micro for a while, owned an old Ford Fiesta from before they had an automatic choke!) and didn't notice this, but maybe my memory is faulty and I just put up with it. I do remember wanting a taller car specifically because they are easier to get in and out of.

I think maybe the Model 3 is made smaller by having the battery pack under the floor, which raises it up. But very tall people seem to be okay with them and I just can't see how they manage it. I've actually been checking YouTube for videos of tall people getting in but they never film that bit.

This guy is apparently 7'2 (and he looks it). You kind of expect his knees to be either side of the wheel... But he seems to have the same problem as me, and I'm over a foot shorter. He had to bend his neck down to clear the roof, and then twist his legs to get he knee under the wheel.

I really don't get it, I'm sliding in the same way. Maybe he's more used to contorting his legs a bit, given that pretty much any car must be a challenge for him.

I think maybe it's the fact that it's low that makes it hard for me. The combination of having to swing down that low AND getting my knees in is what does it. To be honest even in the Leaf I had to have the wheel a little higher than I might like to get enough gap between the seat and the wheel for easy access, like 10-20mm.

I dunno I'm the same height and have no trouble, maybe make the seat slide back LESS so the pillar isn't in the way, and have the steering wheel move forward and tilt up? You can also lower the seat to help.

It's more adjuetabke for they than any other car I have been in. Especially since there is no steering wheel cluster to block with the wheel.

Post a video?

Post a video?

Hmm, could be kind of amusing at the showroom :)

Your idea of having the seat a bit further forward might help. Worth a try at least.

I think I can see the problem in that video with the tall guy now. He gets in sideways and then needs to swing his legs in. To do that he had to lean over into the passenger seat space so that he can get his right knee under the wheel, while also getting his foot over the door sill. That's basically the problem I have.

WMLbQBB.png

There just isn't enough room between the wheel, the seat and the door sill to easily slide my leg under the wheel and in. I'm not as flexible as that guy so while I can do the same thing he does, it's uncomfortable and even more awkward. My legs are shorter but not enough that my knees pass in front of the wheel.

Hmm, could be kind of amusing at the showroom :)

Your idea of having the seat a bit further forward might help. Worth a try at least.

I think I can see the problem in that video with the tall guy now. He gets in sideways and then needs to swing his legs in. To do that he had to lean over into the passenger seat space so that he can get his right knee under the wheel, while also getting his foot over the door sill. That's basically the problem I have.

WMLbQBB.png

There just isn't enough room between the wheel, the seat and the door sill to easily slide my leg under the wheel and in. I'm not as flexible as that guy so while I can do the same thing he does, it's uncomfortable and even more awkward. My legs are shorter but not enough that my knees pass in front of the wheel.
So you are still considering buying a Model 3 even though we've already had this conversation with you on Pistonheads and you said there (over a week ago) "...I prefer taller cars, they are much easier. The Model 3 was so bad I couldn't live with it day-to-day."

Now you come on here saying the same thing. Why?

Looking back at your posts here and on PH you are critical of the Model 3 whenever possible.

Why don't you just stick with the old Leaf you are currently driving rather than trying to find reasons why you wouldn't buy a car you have already said you couldn't live with and don't like?

So you are still considering buying a Model 3 even though we've already had this conversation with you on Pistonheads and you said there (over a week ago)

Stop stalking me, it's extremely creepy. Why are you doing this, why are you obsessed with me?

It's quite disturbing how you just can't let it go. This kind of obsessive behaviour is dangerous and you should seek treatment. I'm not joking, stalking is creepy and often leads to bad things happening.

You might also want to consider why people asking questions about the suitability of a car upsets you so much. You could look at this positively, despite the issues I'm still interested and trying to find a way to make it work for me. Instead you got very upset and defensive. That's not healthy behaviour, and unfortunately is quite common with "hard core" fans of anything.

Your behaviour is turning the community toxic. Maybe you should think about stepping back from this discussion.

Stop stalking me, it's extremely creepy. Why are you doing this, why are you obsessed with me?

It's quite disturbing how you just can't let it go. This kind of obsessive behaviour is dangerous and you should seek treatment. I'm not joking, stalking is creepy and often leads to bad things happening.

You might also want to consider why people asking questions about the suitability of a car upsets you so much. You could look at this positively, despite the issues I'm still interested and trying to find a way to make it work for me. Instead you got very upset and defensive. That's not healthy behaviour, and unfortunately is quite common with "hard core" fans of anything.

Your behaviour is turning the community toxic. Maybe you should think about stepping back from this discussion.

I simple "You (and others) made me concider reconsidering my viewpoint)" would be a more effective response.

You can't be openly negative on a car/ company and then expect people to take you seriously as a buyer without some push back or clarification.

I simple "You (and others) made me concider reconsidering my viewpoint)" would be a more effective response.

You can't be openly negative on a car/ company and then expect people to take you seriously as a buyer without some push back or clarification.

I didn't change my view, it was always just realistic. I'm not a fanboy, I just look at the cars for what they are and that upsets some people.

There are lots of great things about the Model 3. I've written about them at length. There are lots of less than great things too. Apparently I'm supposed to ignore those.

Look how upset people get when someone says they don't fit in a Model 3. Insults, disbelief, stalking. It gets creepy fast. Worse than Apple fans.

• Disagree
Reactions: rawrguthlaf