Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver Model 3 Test - Not Great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero?

Really?

BMW had delivered 100,000 i3 as of October of last year. That's 100,000 out of a single plant (Leipzig plant) of a single model. Tesla does have higher volume, but up until recently all of Tesla batteries were built by Panasonic (they are still built in partnership with Panasonic at the Gigafactory).... which is not different AT ALL from BMW sourcing their battery packs from Samsung.... other than one company being Japanese and the other being Korean.

Well fair enough. Not zero. But certainly not extensive. 20K cars a year is not an impressive feat. Gm has already exceeded that rate but nobody would dare to suggest they are masters of battery supply chain management.

Tesla has invested in the battery problem proactively 4 years ago while the major OEMs are just now getting involved in any meaningful way. They are nothing for Tesla to he afraid of. Which company has a chance to grow their market share by 10-20, maybe even 40 times over the next 10-15 years?
BMW, Mercedes, VW???

Also to close this side discussion, here is a story from just a few days ago: "Despite plans to ramp up its electric car production in the coming years, BMW has said that it won't actually mass produce electric cars until at least 2020 due to technology constraints."

Well fair enough. Not zero. But certainly not extensive. 20K cars a year is not an impressive feat. Gm has already exceeded that rate but nobody would dare to suggest they are masters of battery supply chain management.

Tesla has invested in the battery problem proactively 4 years ago while the major OEMs are just now getting involved in any meaningful way. They are nothing for Tesla to he afraid of. Which company has a chance to grow their market share by 10-20, maybe even 40 times over the next 10-15 years?
BMW, Mercedes, VW???

Also to close this side discussion, here is a story from just a few days ago: "Despite plans to ramp up its electric car production in the coming years, BMW has said that it won't actually mass produce electric cars until at least 2020 due to technology constraints."

VW has just announced a massive deal for new batteries, I'll have to find the article.

... BMW has said that it won't actually mass produce electric cars until at least 2020 due to technology constraints."

The biggest 2 technology constraints today:
1) Lack of consumer acceptance.
2) Cost of EV vs ICE technology.

Making inverters, motors, batteries, controls, are not big tech constraints. BMW already makes EVs on production lines.

It's #1 and #2 that are the big obstacles. #1 has best been solved by Tesla, by making exciting EVs that people desire as cars, not just EVs.
Nobody other than Tesla has pulled that off. Yet. BMW sort of pooched this by making an EV that people 'need' instead of 'want'. Design for Form Engineering, and Marketing Technology is needed.
But #2 is plaguing all producers. Technology will bring costs down, but there is not parity yet.

Making inverters, motors, batteries, controls, are not big tech constraints. BMW already makes EVs on production lines.

It's #1 and #2 that are the big obstacles. #1 has best been solved by Tesla, by making exciting EVs that people desire as cars, not just EVs.
Nobody other than Tesla has pulled that off. Yet. BMW sort of pooched this by making an EV that people 'need' instead of 'want'. Design for Form Engineering, and Marketing Technology is needed.
But #2 is plaguing all producers. Technology will bring costs down, but there is not parity yet.
#2 will continue being delayed a little while longer until lithium supply can keep up - Home & grid energy storage is also taking off
That said, if you compare 10 year life cost of Model 3 against similar ICEV (Toyota Camry?) my guess is it still comes out ahead

I think both of those go hand in hand. If the new Leaf of Bolt were under $24,000, I believe consumers would accept them with open arms. If there was an electric replacement for my Saturn Vue for under $50,000, I as a consumer would be all over it.

As to the cost of EV technology, I have to mention China. Batteries are not very complex and are really a commodity product. If the price becomes right for traditional automakers to convert to batteries, China will be there. As impressive as the Giga Factory is; China's factory towns are epic in scale. The Chinese government could quietly delegate a million people to work on battery production ( With all the Blueprints and IP from Tesla and other Leaders)

VW has just announced a massive deal for new batteries, I'll have to find the article.
Volkswagen Orders Up $20 Billion In Batteries
LG Chem to supply EV batteries to VW

LG Chem to supply electric car batteries to Volkswagen Group :
"LG Chem has chosen electric battery as their future growth engine and is focusing investment in the business. It has supplied electric car batteries worth a total of 21 trillion won to Volkswagen, 8 trillion won last year and 13 trillion won this year. This means more than half of electric car batteries manufactured by LG Chem goes to Volkswagen Group.

It is reported that LG Chem will produce batteries for the German carmaker in their factories in Poland, which is the company’s electric battery production hub for the European market, and Nanjing, China."​

And you've just exposed yourself for all to see. Thanks for playing.

Let me put this another way in order to make it clear.

This is Tesla Motors Club, right?

I am a member of the local BMW club. Many kinds of people attend club meetings and events. There are those who own a BMW and think the company can do no wrong. There are those who enjoy the camaraderie. There are those who have issues with their BMWs and are looking for advice or just to share their experiences. There are those considering a BMW and interested in the experiences of owners. There are certainly complaints. I can tell you with 100% certainty that every member of this particular club (or any, for that matter) would find it *very* odd if someone started showing up to the events who had never owned a BMW and spent 100% of his time complaining about the company or its products.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and voltage
I can tell you with 100% certainty that every member of this particular club (or any, for that matter) would find it *very* odd if someone started showing up to the events who had never owned a BMW and spent 100% of his time complaining about the company or its products.

Unless you’re a member of a water-cooled VW club, in which case it’s a bunch of guys trying to one-up each other with “My car is a bigger POS than yours.” :D

Let me put this another way in order to make it clear.

This is Tesla Motors Club, right?

I am a member of the local BMW club. Many kinds of people attend club meetings and events. There are those who own a BMW and think the company can do no wrong. There are those who enjoy the camaraderie. There are those who have issues with their BMWs and are looking for advice or just to share their experiences. There are those considering a BMW and interested in the experiences of owners. There are certainly complaints. I can tell you with 100% certainty that every member of this particular club (or any, for that matter) would find it *very* odd if someone started showing up to the events who had never owned a BMW and spent 100% of his time complaining about the company or its products.

So you think I don't own a Tesla? You think all of my posts are complaints about Tesla?

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
Zero?

Really?

BMW had delivered 100,000 i3 as of October of last year. That's 100,000 out of a single plant (Leipzig plant) of a single model. Tesla does have higher volume, but up until recently all of Tesla batteries were built by Panasonic (they are still built in partnership with Panasonic at the Gigafactory).... which is not different AT ALL from BMW sourcing their battery packs from Samsung.... other than one company being Japanese and the other being Korean.
Tesla gets cells from Panasonic and Tesla turns them into batteries (packs). BMW buys its packs from Samsung and has little to no experience making batteries. Note that technically a "battery" is a collection of cells. It is common for people to call an individual cell a "battery" but its not technically correct.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61 and dwharrison
Status
Not open for further replies.