Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car and Driver Model 3 Test - Not Great

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do NOT own a Tesla model 3 owner (I am a reservation holder) but I do own a Model X75 and a Bolt and I have a few observations;
tion
First my Bolt was discounted by about 4k and readily available...

The main reason I bought the Bolt is that my X was getting terrible Regen behavior and real battery capacity in the "cold" ...I was pleasantly surprised how little the Bolt would use for battery conditioning. I easily get 150 miles (off 238 rated) in worse case whereas I get only 120 miles on the X. Granted this will be lessened as we get warmer weather and I will drive the X more often. I have been dismayed how the battery on the X still wants to limit regen while its 55F outside. I lose easily 10 miles range a day letting the X sit whereas I see no loss on the Bolt.

Finally the Bolt does come to a complete stop (one pedal driving) when in "L" and can do that up to a 7 percent downhill.

So I can see why people would bring these issues when testing a Tesla. Of course the X and the 3 are superior cars but they need to see where the competition is coming from.

Here is a review by Tom Johnson of, specifically, the model 3 UI system. Tom gets exactly what Tesla is trying to accomplish with the long range plans for their model 3. Does he criticize some of the features and suggest improvements? YES! Read the comments below the article. (And some of those features have already been integrated into the UI system though OTA improvements since his review). Unfortunately the concept of Tesla's UI system goes completely over the heads of the neanderthal reviewers at C&D. They are so stuck in the ICE mentality, they will eventually go the way of dinosaurs and neanderthals. It is survival of the automotive fittest or perish. The FUTURE is now.

Last edited:
Read the article, most of their gripes are non-issues for me. The one thing I do agree with is their assessment of the high rear shelf. I do wish the view out the back allowed me to see more of the lower part of cars behind me. For me though it’s really a minor issue and about the only complaint I can come up with at this point after 2 days of ownership. Fit and finish of my Model 3 appears to be great, no panel gap issues that I can readily identify and no rattles or other sounds when driving either.

Hey, I see you got your Model 3 in March! Congrats and glad you're having a good experience.

So, the 3 crushed the Bolt in their range test:
Our calculated range of 200 miles is far below the EPA’s overall estimates of 310 miles in combined driving and 293 miles in highway driving, but it was certainly affected by the 28-degree-Fahrenheit ambient temperature. Two similar tests of a Chevy Bolt, the Model 3’s closest EV competitor, revealed a difference in observed range of more than 25 percent between a 56-degree and a 36-degree run (190 miles versus 140 miles against an EPA-estimated highway range of 217 miles).

Reactions: jsmay311 and DR61
What "broken promises" are they going on about? If the standard range version never comes out, they would have something to talk about. Otherwise the first 1/4 of the article is babble about promises and production number irrelevancies - probably indicates bias because it's nonsensical. Also just being dramatic for the sake of it, as journalism tends to do. Let's talk instead about their garbage image gallery design and how it's unusable. :D

Here is a review by Tom Johnson of, specifically, the model 3 UI system. Tom gets exactly what Tesla is trying to accomplish with the long range plans for their model 3. Does he criticize some of the features and suggest improvements? YES! Read the comments below the article. (And some of those features have already been integrated into the UI system though OTA improvements since his review). Unfortunately the concept of Tesla's UI system goes completely over the heads of the neanderthal reviewers at C&D. They are so stuck in the ICE mentality, they will eventually go the way of dinosaurs and neanderthals. It is survival of the automotive fittest or perish. The FUTURE is now.

Strongly disagree with the last point. (And clearly the accident on the 101/85 clearly shows that the Future is just that, the future.)

The simple fact is that folks fiddle with controls while driving. I happen to live in SoCal where it doesn't rain very often despite the popular lyrics. My point is that I turn wipers on and off while driving, or turn them from intermittent, to on full swipe, and back to intermittent. I am not looking forward to digging thru the UI to go find the wiper controls. Example 2: I fiddle with ac controls, depending on which side of the car the sun is on. If its coming thru the drivers window, I want more air; if the passenger, and I'm driving myself, I want less cold flow. Again, having to play with the UI will be PIA.

I configured my M3 last week and am looking forward to it, but I'm almost positive my wife won't like this new future. Good for me, since I won't have to share the car. But if Elon wants a revolution he'll need to convert more of the regular people, not just early adopters.

They don't have a blanket bias against EV. They gave a five-star rating to the Chevy Bolt and labeled it an "editor's choice." They may have a grudge against Tesla or perhaps even an affinity for the traditional automakers, but they appear capable of reviewing an EV car positively. Most of their criticisms are valid - they just aren't things I care about as much as they do.

They don't get it. The Bolt cannot serve the role as an only car. For that reason alone makes it a non starter for me and many others. Do these guys even stop to wonder why 500,000 people have plunked down $1000 to wait in line for 2 years to buy this car?

But if Elon wants a revolution he'll need to convert more of the regular people, not just early adopters.

If Tesla gets 4% global market share it sells as many cars as Honda with total profits larger than VW,MB, and BMW make today combined.

Hyundai Nissan et al can build vehicles with 21st century powertrains and 20th century interiors for the other 96%.

I would call that a successful Revolution. Tesla doesn't need 100%, 80% or even 25% global market share to make the Revolution a success, i.e. BEV 99% global market share.

There will always be an Arab prince the buys an ICE Ferrari or a Siberian that buys an ICE truck.

But 10% global market share would be nice as a Tesla investor.

Reactions: erthquake
I thought it was a very fair and reasonable article. They pointed out things that the masses would be concerned with.

Yes, all EV batteries is affected by the cold, significantly. And it should be pointed out to the newbies (which is the everyone not on TMC). In other words, 300 mile range ain't happening 3+ months per year, for those in northern climes.

The criticisms that I took away:

1) too noisy (for a $55k car, when compared to an A4; but the A3 is more noisy than the A4, so at $35k maybe the decibels would be ok)
2) crappy stock tires (for a sports-handling car; altho the masses would probably prefer the all-seasons)
3) Regen does not come to a full stop (like the cheaper Bolt)
4) The 15" screen buries wipers, mirrors, and other items. (Nothing new to TMC, as we have had numerous threads on this topic already.)
5) The back seat is low. (yeah it is, at least for an adult.)
6) Poor rear visibility (probably the only item I found unfair, since a bunch of cars made in the past decade have lower visibility rear windows)

I'm still awaiting my M3, but will probably not purchase the second (I have two reservations), since #4 and #6 above probably won't work for da' wife. So, we'll wait until I get mine so she can experience it first.

The one thing I completely agree with is the rear seats. Tesla really s$!t the bed with those. That doesn't change my opinion of C&D though. Those guys are so biased for ICE they are clueless when it comes to EVs.

If Tesla gets 4% global market share

Ok, I'll play. Worldwide production = 70 million cars. 4% share = 2.8 million cars. Tesla is now producing what 5k/wk? (hopefully......) And then do the math on how much it will take to produce 3 million cars annually.

Sure, when they get to 4% they'll have a revolution. But you just reinforce my point: the "future" ain't here yet, except for the early adopters...

Reactions: Eclectic
Theytt don't get it. The Bolt cannot serve the role as an only car. For that reason alone makes it a non starter for me and many others. Do these guys even stop to wonder why 500,000 people have plunked down $1000 to wait in line for 2 years to buy this car?
I am confused...why can't Bolt serve as only car? Range? Size? Price?
Let's visit when Tesla gives us the base 35k car and compare features. By then Bolt might have autopilot.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll play. Worldwide production = 70 million cars. 4% share = 2.8 million cars. Tesla is now producing what 5k/wk? (hopefully......) And then do the math on how much it will take to produce 3 million cars annually.

Sure, when they get to 4% they'll have a revolution. But you just reinforce my point: the "future" ain't here yet, except for the early adopters...

Who said the revolution was won today?

4% is well within the early adopter phase

curve.JPG

2024-2025 Tesla will be producing 2.8M plus vehicles per year.

I’m sure I would like the car more than C&D does but I did agree with the sub title “Broken Promises”. I predict Tesla will be found out manipulating consumers and stockholders with a $35k car, they had no way to deliver profitably even at higher average selling price.

I’m on the sidelines now due to that and my concerns about Auto Pilot. (I guess I could order without it)

Car magazines are very fickle, didn’t C&D also say the Model 3 makes an Alfa feel like wet sponge?(I own a Guilin)

That was Motor Trend, who gave the Bolt "Car of the Year" in 2017, but also put the Model 3 above the Bolt in a head-to-head comparison.

Having read this and other TMC threads for quite some time now, I find it amusing/disturbing that honest and, for the most part constructive, criticism of Tesla and the Model 3 produces such vitriol among so many. It appears that you can only be "with us or against us."

I've been a proponent of non-ICE transportation for at least twice as long as most of you have been around. Although I didn't want to pay the price of a Roadster, I jumped on the Tesla bandwagon from day one with the hope and understanding that Elon would eventually produce the "everyman's" affordable EV. My cheering stands are 100 yds long and 50 ft high. At the same time we all knew that the promise of a $35K car was probably on the low side - but okay, I'm in for several grand more to move this project forward. I'll never see a Jetsons-type personal transportation but count me in to make the move to get there. So like so many of you I stood in line two years ago hoping to get my piece of the future at less than an privileged price, go green, put an end to ICE transportation (at the cost of some mild ridicule from acquaintances).

While the goal is in site for all of us, there seems to be a blind willingness to forgive just about anything to get to the end zone - and a willingness to 'settle' to get there. The promises that have gotten us all to this point have been overstated; the blind faith to accept whatever obstacles arise is revealing. I can now afford the $250K Roadster but I want the $35K Model 3 (okay, $60K). But at the same time I have a sense of what money is worth and won't settle for paying a BMW price or more for less than equally valued quality. The promise was not produce a $35K car; it was to produce the future of transportation for $35K - with the assumed price-per-dollar quality. Or were we all duped into accepting whatever it takes to get to the goal line?

I still have my reservation and I'm looking forward to receiving my invitation to configure. My money (read trust and confidence) is upfront and on the table. I expect that it will be treated with respect for the time and effort that I put in to get/put it there and there will be no assumption that I can/should be taken advantage of to produce/sell a product - no matter how forward-looking it may be.

I also criticize Tesla when warranted. It's not vitriol. Car and Driver has been full of BS for a while now and I was a subscriber for years at one point. Like someone else said they rated the Bolt high. It handles worse and accelerates worse. Those are things C&D supposedly cares a great deal about. Furthermore the Bolt has no access to a supercharger network and is more expensive for a cheaper interior, dorky exterior style vs sleek and sexy on the 3 and roughly the same range as the base 3. For any objective observer there is no comparison between the Bolt and the 3. Like I said before, Car and Driver is full of BS.

• Disagree
They don't get it. The Bolt cannot serve the role as an only car. For that reason alone makes it a non starter for me and many others. Do these guys even stop to wonder why 500,000 people have plunked down $1000 to wait in line for 2 years to buy this car?

Any EV can be an only car. Some folk have a motorcycle as sole transportation.

But the existing EV demographic is six figures and up. Everybody owns 'cars'. It's not 1950 anymore.

I'm excited about the possibility of owning a Model 3 some day. But I'm a pragmatist. I ordered online 2 years ago. I'm probably not getting an invite in 2018. We will see.

It is possible the iPace will be my choice based on availability, or the Bolt if they adopt ACC.

Status
Not open for further replies.