Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Car broken into, items in trunk stolen.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
F5FH8eZ.png

Someone broke the drivers side window, put the seat down and stole a backpack with laptop and work documents inside

My windows are tinted and no way you can see the bag in the trunk.

Anyone know how much it'll cost to replace the window?

Yep, OP, this is going around in No Cal and Bay area. This forum and TM has plenty of people talking about it. Others say there's no way someone would know if something/anything is in the back. Some folks are speculating that the thieves don't know if something is there, they just break glass and look to see if they see something/anything.

Maybe the better strategy is to leave a rear seat folded down so they bad guys can see for themselves there's nothing or gold bullion.

some are reporting getting the little window broken. It's been said that the side window is less expensive than that little triangle window behind the door. Don't know for sure.

I think Tesla needs a locking latch on the seat lever. And a voluntary recall or very low price option to have it installed. It would only be valuable as a preventive item if all the Tesla had it.

That little triangle window is well over $1000 to replace, since the chrome has to be replaced with it.

These break-ins aren't Tesla-specific. They are doing this to all kinds of cars. It seems that, if they can't see what's in the back, they smash a window to find out.

some are reporting getting the little window broken. It's been said that the side window is less expensive than that little triangle window behind the door. Don't know for sure.

I think Tesla needs a locking latch on the seat lever. And a voluntary recall or very low price option to have it installed. It would only be valuable as a preventive item if all the Tesla had it.

This is a problem for many hatchback/wagon/crossover vehicles. I can conduct the exact same attack on a Honda CR-V: break window, use one-touch lever to fold down rear seat to view cargo area. The Honda seat is so easy to fold down the attack could be done using only one hand.

As an aside, I suspect this is one reason that sedans stated popular in the US. During the era of high urban crime of the 70's and 80's, a locked trunk was more secure than the back of a wagon.

F5FH8eZ.png

Someone broke the drivers side window, put the seat down and stole a backpack with laptop and work documents inside

F5FH8eZ.png

Where did it happen?

Whhoooooaaaa. Locking Latch? How will that help? All they have to do is break the window, open the door, bust through the parcel shelf and take all they want. Have you seen a Tesla Model S? "We don't need no stinkin' locking latch on the seat". That won't solve the problem, just make the thieves do more damage. How about making a pit bull optional when you buy the car. Leave it in the back seat. Makes just as much sense. Me thinks.

• Love
Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Often times if I have valuables I put them in the frunk. Can't stop them from smashing your windows, but at least makes it tougher for them to get your stuff.

Sorry this happened to you, it's a despicable violation of your property and very frustrating.

Reactions: AMPd
Often times if I have valuables I put them in the frunk. Can't stop them from smashing your windows, but at least makes it tougher for them to get your stuff.

Sorry this happened to you, it's a despicable violation of your property and very frustrating.
I haven't tried this but this youtube video shows it someone could get into the frunk...not sure if it's true. you know how it is these days, people would do all kinds of things to get view. In anycase, link and fast forward to 11:00 or so.

Same happend to me in Rome just 12 hours ago while on holiday there.

They broke the little window, opened the door, put the seats down and found out there was only some water in the back.

They then put a knife in the rear tyre just for fun it seems.

Sorry to hear. Cost us $1200+ at a local Tesla SvC for the tiny window at the rear side. Fortunately costwise that's the only one they broke although others here were not so lucky and had more extensive damage. I think we were among the first recent postings here with it happening in San Jose on 8/13 (us--with nothing in the cargo area, and a Honda Oddessy--suitcase and ipad or laptop). After us, there was the Sunnyvale Costco break ins mentioned above. After that there was a Tesla owner who had his window broken into in Cupertino. We ended up going to the SvC for the repair since the frame had to come out and be replaced too and felt better knowing that Tesla would stand behind the work should there be any water intrusion later if there was a problem with the seal.

If you had a dashcam video running, I'd suggest putting the files on a USB drive and filing a report with the PD there. We suspect there's a commonality to these and they're possibly going from town to town around the bay area. The more dashcam videos of the perps doing it the better chances one day they will be identified and hopefully the jurisdictions can share the info and link them.

We've kept our parcel shelf down since this happened as they walk around the cars peering in looking for electronics and if they can't see in and it's an easier car to break in to check, they don't mind taking the risk.

BTW dark tinted windows are just as enticing as parcel shelves that could be hiding something of value.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd and Akikiki